how easy is converting 2WD to 4WD (88 C30 3+3)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpuller6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 3+3 Long Box Dually
Engine Size
6.5 Turbo Diesel/SM465/D70
Well maybe I`m boring you guys with all my drabble, but I think I`m willing to get this rig. Wifes given the OK, gonna wait for a reply tonight, but may Just call the guy tomorrow.:rockit:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like it's worth the trouble converting it to me :grd:

And if you end up needing any pics or measurements, just let me know.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Big pain in the ASS, if you want a 4x4 just buy one, i have helped on two different trucks and they both were big hassles, and in the long run it would have been cheaper just to buy a 4x4.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
Not bad at all. See my avator, It was a 2wd.

Cutting the fllor center section otu for the transfer case hump and weld in new center section. Drilling holes for the spring mounts and so on.

Engine crossmember needs to be changed doing this swap.

Can be doen in a day with the right preperation prior to starting the swap, Donor truck is the key. Great way to have a rust free crew, All the 4x4 are beaten and rusted to death.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
I would also like to know about this swap. How hard is it to get the front end lined up correctly? What parts do you need besides the obvious(trans-tcase-spings-hangers-)? I will be doing this to my 81 as well as a frame off restomod. I know there is some drilling involved but have heard welding is involved also. What would need welded?

Stumpuller6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 3+3 Long Box Dually
Engine Size
6.5 Turbo Diesel/SM465/D70
Good to know, I think I can have a donor truck lined up for this. :)

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
Welding will be the floor of the truck Everything else bolts up. Alignment is easy if you use a template for making the holes in the frame.

Go look at a 4x4 adn make note of the differences and youll see there is not that much to it, I have done this many time.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Welding will be the floor of the truck Everything else bolts up. Alignment is easy if you use a template for making the holes in the frame.

Go look at a 4x4 adn make note of the differences and youll see there is not that much to it, I have done this many time.

That might have been our problem, no donor to compare, and no templates. Glad neither one were my truck.

oopsman_09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra classic c1500
Engine Size
Hmm...seems straight forward enough.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Very old thread, but, I guess that is what the search function is for.
A feller that lives over in Forsyth has a CC C-30, singles on the rear. He wanting 500 bucks for it.
Has an older, very bad paint job, Red, interior is tuck and roll red and black. Dashboard is the same red and black, not T&R but with seams, a real nice looker fur shure.
I am now trying to figure out what sorts of parts and pieces to sell, scrounge the 500 and change My 3/4 ton diffs. springs, hangers, etc over and have a 4X4 CC, then install My tommy lift on the back endfit.
How much should I try and sell a NP 205, with the TH350 adapter stuff, for ??? the gears and bearings seems real smooth. Has shifter and front driving shaft, the drive shafts yoke/splines seems to be good and tight, also has the cross member without the end pieces.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Very old thread, but, I guess that is what the search function is for.
A feller that lives over in Forsyth has a CC C-30, singles on the rear. He wanting 500 bucks for it.
Has an older, very bad paint job, Red, interior is tuck and roll red and black. Dashboard is the same red and black, not T&R but with seams, a real nice looker fur shure.
I am now trying to figure out what sorts of parts and pieces to sell, scrounge the 500 and change My 3/4 ton diffs. springs, hangers, etc over and have a 4X4 CC, then install My tommy lift on the back endfit.
How much should I try and sell a NP 205, with the TH350 adapter stuff, for ??? the gears and bearings seems real smooth. Has shifter and front driving shaft, the drive shafts yoke/splines seems to be good and tight, also has the cross member without the end pieces.

:wave:

Sent from my iPod touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I wonder where Stumpy has been anyway. Might have to check in on him at that other place. Buurp too. Buurp got all of us to vote him in has Mod over there, then split.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP