Gearbox swap for 2wd to 4wd conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarrett Melvin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hey guys, doing a 2wd to 4wd swap on my C&C. I have a Dana 44 and 4 inch lift springs installed on the front already and trying to figure out what to do to install my transfer case. Right now it has a 2wd sm465 in it. I have another sm465 and 208 transfer case here to swap in.

Question is, can I swap the adapters on the end of the gear box? Or will I have to swap the entire gear box? Also, can I swap one 465 to another without removing the bellhousimg from the engine?

Another question, can you join a speedo cable? The stock cable goes into the adapter that's on the truck now and the other goes into the transfer case?

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Put in the 4x4 unit instead of trying to change the 2x4 unit. You have to have a four-wheel drive output shaft.

Also keep in mind the 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive tranny humps are different so you may have some clearance issues depending upon the situation

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400