Hello..n00b here. Fun build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmc_hauls

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20/k20
Engine Size
Hi Chevy people. My name is Kelly, I go by KMC, KMac, Kelly Mac...whatever works. My 1987 C20 3+3 Crew Cab has been in the family since 1993 or so when my brother bought it to carry his growing family of eventually 4 sons. All 4 of my nephews learned to drive in this truck and it just became the family back up camping, towing, work rig. Shortly after they bought it had the traditional white paint peeling issue on black primer so as the paint peeled my nephews started saying it looked like a dairy cow and the name stuck....forever to be known as the Cow. Even after I paint it I plan to continue the theme of the Cow by doing some cowhide inserts on the bench seats.....its about the details for me.
The rig: My brother and his boys are big offroaders and outdoorsmen as am I, camping, fishing, dirtbikes, hunting, off-roading you name it we love and we are all in construction so this truck got ran and ran hard and has always been a great truck....completely rust free and body damage free other than a few daily use dings. She's got a recently rebuilt 5.7L TBI 4 bolt long block, a fresh Turbo 400 trans and the beast 14 bolt FF rear diff with 4.10 factory gears and the dreaded G80 "Gov-Lok" diff....not the best but it has never failed yet.
The plan: After the boys grew up, bought their own trucks {all Chevys and all very rigs} the Cow sat for years in the driveway unused and I regularly asked my brother to sell it to me....he wasn't ready, when my last nephew got married his wife wanted to clean up the yard and all 4 boys said they did not want the Cow and my bro finally called me and we agree'd on a price that was fair for all I think, but trust me.....way below value when done. My plan has always been to convert her to a 4x4 but, in SoCal where I'm at GM passenger side drop Dana 60 front axles are non-existent and the few around they want $4000-5000 for them in mediocre condition....I finally ran into a Dana 44 out of a 74 K20 and a divorced NP205 transfer passenger drop so its the correct 8 lug pattern, all GM parts and a pretty easy swap I'm hoping...the new front diff is 4.10 gears open diff, immaculate internally and rust free externally and came with leafs and all the stock steering parts. The T-case has 1350 input yoke and rear output yoke same as my stock drive shaft and a 1310 front output yoke which is the same as the new Dana 44 so easy fitting components together.
Pics: one will be the day I got it with miss matched deep rims with mismatched 35" tires and all filthy....other pic will be after I found some ford econoline rims at a pull you part in 8x6.5 bolt pattern and 7.5" x 16" wheel size which I snaded and degreased, primed and painted white and a set of stock hubcaps and new set of BFG AT's and a good wash job....great starting point for a truck is going to be a daily driver, hunting/camping/fishing rig, MX race and dirt bike hauler, light wheeling and back country exploring.....the Dana 44 is plenty strong for the 235/85r-16 tires and the whopping power of a stock 5.7L TBI

Attachments

• The Cow.jpg
    The Cow.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 71
  • the cow.jpeg
    the cow.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 69

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Nice looking cow! Welcome

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Nice truck! Looked for a long time in this part of the world for a clean crew cab to work with. They just don't exist up here. In for your project.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size