How do I get new drivers window in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpuller6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500 3+3 Long Box Dually
Engine Size
6.5 Turbo Diesel/SM465/D70
SO I`ve been trying to install a new window in my drivers door, and I give up. I need help. :D

I tried a search but did not find a help full thread.

I have power windows, I can get the window in the door, but how do you get the wheels in the track? I see a cut out part way through that the wheels could fit into, but running the mechanism up and down it never comes close to that cut out...

Any body done this before and able to explain the right way?:gmfs:

Thanks,

Clancy

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If I am not mistaken I believe the rear track unbolts off the door frame and gives you a little more wiggle room to maneuver the glass.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Remove the vent window and it's frame. 3 screws (2 on the forward section of the door frame & 1 on the top) then a bolt (or maybe 2 - been awhile) at the bottom of the vent window reinforcing leg (goes through the steel inner wall of the door). Give it a 90 degree twist when it's almost out - that reinforcing leg has a right angle off-sticker where the bolt attaches.

When the vent window and it's frame are out of the way it's easy to manuever the new main window into place.

Uh-oh - sorry didn't see the 1988 model year. My procedure may not be applicable to your truck - I'm only checked out on 87 and down.

Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
On the other hand, this might be useful. You're on your own other than this. I just cut & pasted it - I have no idea what they're talking about:

Front Door
1.Lower the door glass completely.

2.Remove the trim panel from the door.

You must be registered for see images attach

3.Remove the water deflector by peeling it back.

4.Remove the module panel screws.

5.Remove the door lock rods from the module and tape them to the door.

6.Remove the lower run channel bolt.

7.Loosen the upper run channel bolt.

8.Move the run channel away from the glass.

9.Pull the wiring harness towards the door to reach the connector. Remove the boot from the wiring and disconnect the harness at the door hinge pillar.

10.Remove the module and window assembly from the door frame by tilting it and lowering it from the door.

11.Fold back the tab on the channel and slide the glass out.

To install:

12.Slide the glass into the channel and fold over the tab.

13.Fit the glass into the rear channel in the door, then, while pulling the channel towards the glass, fit the glass into the front run channel.

14.Install the boot from the wiring and connect the harness at the door hinge pillar.

15.Install the lower run channel bolt.

16.Install the door lock rods at the module.

17.Install the module panel screws, starting at the top left, then the top right.

18.Install the water deflector.

19.Tighten the upper run channel bolt.

20.Install the trim panel from the door.

Last edited:

Stumpuller6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine may be an 88, but its an 87 and down body style match. I will see if I can get the vent window and frame out........

Thanks guys!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Mine may be an 88, but its an 87 and down body style match. I will see if I can get the vent window and frame out........

Thanks guys!

Good luck man, let us know how ya make out and maybe snap a few pics. :grd:

Stumpuller6.5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Crap, wish I did take pics, well there was one bolt behind the door panel, and two screws that go into from the door to the vent window frame that allowed the vent window and front track to come out completely. With that out of the way I was able to get the window in, its still a bit of a trick to get it but the only way I see it possible. I put it all together, wired in the window switch permanently (PO had wired it using merrets!)

I then troubleshooted the lack of ground to the switch, I located the ground bar up under the dash, its right behind some ducting, so could only feel its location, all I had to do was clean up the connections on it and the windows work. I think I will have to pickup some silicon spray lube for the window tracks so the windows move more freely.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm