Holley 600 WTF moment---curious to know whats wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Did you get it sorted ?. I would have thought some of the Holley experts would have offered up some help by now.

It helps to know which Holley we are talking about.

My 2 cents: Blown open power valve.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did you get it sorted ?. I would have thought some of the Holley experts would have offered up some help by now.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Most people that run a Holley don't have to be experts because they normally just bolt on and run perfectly with minimal tuning :Big Laugh:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've worked on Holley's for years. They're pretty much fool proof so long as they are clean, and not that they are sensitive to dirt because some people have left them on their engines for years and hardly never rebuilt them. A Q-jet must stay clean because it's so sensitive to vacuum. Holleys are so simple there's not much of anything that's vacuum operated to have to adjust, like nothing. That's why Holley's work so well is because of their simplicity. There's no moving parts internally, unless you want to count one little rubber diaphragm at the accelerator pump. Holley's work off of vacuum and air. That's why they work out of the box with no or very little adjustment because they are set at the factory and that's it! People talk about they've got this Q-jet they've tweeked and tuned and did this and did that and now it runs perfect. Really? I've rebuilt mine I don't know how many times sitting on the curb in front of my truck in the street, with a little wash tub, a spray can of carb cleaner, a couple of red rags, and a can of computer dust air. Throw a kit in it and put it back on and have to do nothing else to it. Right there in the dang street! I'd like to see you do that with a Q-jet.

My idea on your carb is dirt in the bowl area, or a leaking gasket between the bowl and the body. Maybe you accidentally tore it or something. Maybe got a bit of dirt in it and it keeps getting sucked in a orifice, then it falls out and it works again, back and forth.

Don't give up on getting it going until you find out what's wrong with it. Replace the needle valve and seat. I had one in my carb one time that had been in it for a long time and the carb just didn't seem like it wanted to go and I kept having to adjust the needle and seat. Then I replaced it and I never had another problem with it. You can't even see the little wear on that rubber seat and it'd be leaking a tiny bit but enough. You were doing right by adjusting it until fuel just starts coming out at the bottom of the threads, then lock it down. After that you shouldn't have to do anything to it. So long as the gaskets are good, it's clean, and whatever needs to be replaced, a tiny handful of parts like one or two and that's all. Q-jets on the other hand...omg!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I do believe constant fiddling is part of the experience of a holley

85 Squarebody76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500
Engine Size
Sounds like maby the fuel pump pressure regulator spring is stuck... I would test the fuel pump pressure.. should be no more that 4 or 5 psi If I remember right.. to much pressure can flood the carb..

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I decided not to mess with it. Beyond removing it from the 455, I have done nothing with it. Maybe in the future I will tinker on it, unless I decide to just get rid of it.

The Q-Jet is on the truck and she runs awesome, and is very responsive. My dad really enjoyed tearing down the carb and re-building it, he used to do a few of these back in the day so for him it was a trip down memory lane. Heck, he remembers wrenching on these trucks when they were new!

Truck runs well, now I just need to figure out my timing.....I will start a new thread for that.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well that's good. Yep, to much pressure will over ride the needle and seat, float, all of it. But a 600 cfm Holley should work with pressures from 5 to 8 lbs. My fuel pump is rated for that. I'm running a Holley competition pump, 80 gal. per hr. that has always put out that poundage without fail. I've run the 110 gal. pump on that carb before but it was still rated for 5 to 8 lbs. What kind of fuel pump are you running on your truck? Not stock I'd almost bet. Do you have a regulator on it? Did you change out the fuel pump before putting your Q-jet on?

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Well that's good. Yep, to much pressure will over ride the needle and seat, float, all of it. But a 600 cfm Holley should work with pressures from 5 to 8 lbs. My fuel pump is rated for that. I'm running a Holley competition pump, 80 gal. per hr. that has always put out that poundage without fail. I've run the 110 gal. pump on that carb before but it was still rated for 5 to 8 lbs. What kind of fuel pump are you running on your truck? Not stock I'd almost bet. Do you have a regulator on it? Did you change out the fuel pump before putting your Q-jet on?

The fuel pump on my 455 is the stock style mechanical pump, rated at 7lbs of pressure I believe it is. Yes, I left this pump on there too for running the Q-jet also. There is no regulator in line after the pump either.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I decided not to mess with it. Beyond removing it from the 455, I have done nothing with it. Maybe in the future I will tinker on it, unless I decide to just get rid of it.

The Q-Jet is on the truck and she runs awesome, and is very responsive. My dad really enjoyed tearing down the carb and re-building it, he used to do a few of these back in the day so for him it was a trip down memory lane. Heck, he remembers wrenching on these trucks when they were new!

Truck runs well, now I just need to figure out my timing.....I will start a new thread for that.
If you do decide to get rid of it I know a wondeful trash you can throw it into, it's in New Hampshire and shaped like a T/A... ;)
lol

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Have a Qjet and a Holly 4150 vac secondary Also have one of the older Ebrock 600. When I switched to a BB, Ebrock was to small to feed the 454, dislike the qjet, like the Holly a bunch. I have an AEM air/fuel with a Bosch wide band sensor, Manual choke not hooked up, When I am crusing down the road, I am right at 14.60 which is perfect. For tuneability I had to tune both the primary and secondary sides of the Holly, which is very easy to do, and most likely you will need to do the same with the qjet, once you get it running. You will need at least a 750CFM carb with the 455.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
If you do decide to get rid of it I know a wondeful trash you can throw it into, it's in New Hampshire and shaped like a T/A... ;)
lol

Well, it is taking up space now on my workbench, and I would prefer not to just "put it away" and let it collect dust. I'd rather see it go to someone that will use it.

eric 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Shortbed
Engine Size
305 tbi
okay this is just dumb guy logic....thinking out loud. I KNOW ZILCH about carbs so I am the 60 yr old kid at the table listening to the grown ups talking. But did you say you used this carb on a big block for a long time and it worked great? Ran great I think you said?
But since taking it apart to make sure everything was good inside it no longer works correctly....
I don't have a dog in this fight.
I don't hate any of them. I just bought a Holley Street warrior 600cfm. Hasn't been fired up yet finishing wiring on this swap. But hope to have it done tomorrow.
Curious what you find.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
okay this is just dumb guy logic....thinking out loud. I KNOW ZILCH about carbs so I am the 60 yr old kid at the table listening to the grown ups talking. But did you say you used this carb on a big block for a long time and it worked great? Ran great I think you said?
But since taking it apart to make sure everything was good inside it no longer works correctly....
I don't have a dog in this fight.
I don't hate any of them. I just bought a Holley Street warrior 600cfm. Hasn't been fired up yet finishing wiring on this swap. But hope to have it done tomorrow.
Curious what you find.

Yes sir Eric, you are correct! Short story: I bought this holley brand new many moons back. It ran this same Olds 455 just fine when that 455 was stuffed into my 51 Ford F-1 (1/2 ton truck). I had to adjust it probably 3 different times back then, but it ran the truck for many years. Your truck will run just fine, don't make any decisions based on this thread for your holley carb. This thread is one of them you take with a grain of salt if you know what I mean!

Longer story: My wife and I got married in 2008, we had a "Hot Rod" kinda wedding that I was able to line up some sweet old rides for all my groomsmen from my fellow local Hot Rodders, my wife and I drove away from the wedding in the 51 Ford (SAME truck my parents drove away from their wedding with, this was my dads truck...except I could lay rubber with it now), anyhow after our wedding and having too much fun with it, the truck barely made it home because I hurt the transmission in it. The truck has not been on the road, nor ran since 2008.

So, this past year I rebuilt that 455 Olds, and I took that holley apart to clean it up, the bowls had some residual gas varnish in them, I cleaned all that out and cleaned all ports/orifices...etc. Used compressed air throughout the carb also, floats/needle/seat "seemed to work" and looked good, but as I found out when it was used here recently something was not right at all. I don't like that this holley had vacuum secondaries anyhow, so I asked my dad to build the Q-Jet for it.

Looking back had I done with this carb that I do with all my old snowmobiles it may have been ok. I usually run a little 110 octane through those old snowmobiles at year end and they can sit for many years, and the carbs are as clean as can be. I should have done that with this holley. Needless to say, this holley doesn't work right because of how I did not take care of it after not running the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theshawnR