High torque starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
On a cold start i pump the gas 1-2 times and on the 5th revolution it fires up.

During a hot start the motor barely turns over with only the flip of the key and its running.

Ive looked at the starter i cant seem to find any brand/model # but im curious ive had a few carburated motors and theyve all fired up quickly. Motors only got 9000 miles on iy. So what makes it fire so quickly. A mini torque starter? Advanced timing?

Sent from my Reddot R50 using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The carb just needs to be tuned well to make the motor happy in all conditions. On your next cold start, pump the gas 3-4 times and see if it starts faster.

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
The carb just needs to be tuned well to make the motor happy in all conditions. On your next cold start, pump the gas 3-4 times and see if it starts faster.
It did. Like a hard start. Pumped it 4 times qnd by the time i flipped the key. It started. U dont know how to adjust a carb. I usually turn both sides one by one until the motor bogs out and back it up a little so itll run. Then do 1 full counter clockwise spin from there.

Seems like im still getting to much air or fuel one cuz it still has a skip. Which wasnt there befote i started adjusting the screws.

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
Looks like a factory 4 brrl q-jet

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
Which im clueless if its a vacuum ran carb for 4 brrl or double pumper. I know when i stomp it it dosent open the 4 brrl. Im missing 2-3 vacuum lines on it. There plugged off or just missing. I need to get me a chitlons or haynes manual so i can plug all these lines back up.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
On a cold start i pump the gas 1-2 times and on the 5th revolution it fires up.

During a hot start the motor barely turns over with only the flip of the key and its running.

Ive looked at the starter i cant seem to find any brand/model # but im curious ive had a few carburated motors and theyve all fired up quickly. Motors only got 9000 miles on iy. So what makes it fire so quickly. A mini torque starter? Advanced timing?

My theory is that Fuel injected cars need to know what position the engine is---where the crankshaft is/what position the cylinders are in. So, they use a crankshaft sensor and need to "see" the engine spin a few times to determine all this before the computer knows how/when to distribute fuel and spark.

Whereas a car with carb and distributor doesn't "care" what position the engine is in. The distributor is set in time with the engine irregardless.

Just a theory.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
My theory is that Fuel injected cars need to know what position the engine is---where the crankshaft is/what position the cylinders are in. So, they use a crankshaft sensor and need to "see" the engine spin a few times to determine all this before the computer knows how/when to distribute fuel and spark.

Whereas a car with carb and distributor doesn't "care" what position the engine is in. The distributor is set in time with the engine irregardless.

Just a theory.

Sorta. The cam and crank sensors have more to do with the distbutorless ignitions, where there is no mechanical connection to the cam. That's when the computer needs to see cam and crank phase, as opposed to the old school engines where everything had a mechanical connection.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad

Just a theory.

The number of pulses per revolution is large enough that engine does not need to turn more than a couple of degrees before computer knows it is ok to fire

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Have you played with the throttle linkage at all? Like revved it up with the throttle linkage? A lot of people don't know that there is a trip for the four barrel its on the throttle linkage on the carb and when people rev there motors that way they bump the four barrel trip then they don't have four barrel anymore.

I always adjusted the idle air mixture screws by turning one in until I got the highest rpm and then the second one until I got the highest rpm and then I set the idle screw until I got the idle I wanted

Last edited:

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
Yes ive revved it with the linkage. How do i fix this