How should I solve this starter problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Got an 87 truck with TBI 350. My starter has been giving me grief. Recently the started died, and the new replacement seems sluggish. Sometimes it won't muster the power to start the truck, it just does that slow turn-over thing. The one where it sounds like the battery is low. But I checked all the connections. They seem ok. It didn't look like anything needs improvement.

So I figured I'd give it the old starter tap. I tapped on the side of the starter with a piece of metal, and suddenly the behavior changed. The truck started right up. But this starter is new. I thought that only happened with old, dying starters. Didn't know new starters would need the tap trick used on them.

Not sure what I should do. Replace this new starter maybe? Is there a starter that's known to be of higher quality? Thanks!

Last edited:

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Could very well be a bad ground by the sounds of that, If it is still working ok I would run it for a week or so,, You may of just fixed something with the hammer also.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
New starter or reman? We quit using new alt and starters, too many issues, only reman now.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
New starter or reman? We quit using new alt and starters, too many issues, only reman now.

It is a new AcDelco starter. I've heard parts quality has been suffering lately, but I had already bought the starter and just had it sitting on the shelf.

There's a place in my town that rebuilds starters and alternators. Maybe I should take it to them? It would be nice to avoid paying the $45 though.

Last edited:

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@PhotonFanatic and @rusted nuts < we are having that same issue on and off at this time. I realized we did not have a good ground engine to frame and picked one up yesterday hope to get it on this weekend. It sounds exactly like your situation and Easton just put a new (guess its reman) starter on it I would say 6-8 months ago.

Ill drop a note back after new ground is on and see if that’s it.

Randy and Easton

Attachments

• IMG_8991.jpeg
    IMG_8991.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8990.jpeg
    IMG_8990.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    210.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8985.jpeg
    IMG_8985.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 48

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
@PhotonFanatic and @rusted nuts < we are having that same issue on and off at this time. I realized we did not have a good ground engine to frame and picked one up yesterday hope to get it on this weekend. It sounds exactly like your situation and Easton just put a new (guess its reman) starter on it I would say 6-8 months ago.

Randy and Easton

Randy and Easton
OH,, To be young again. lol.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Could very well be a bad ground by the sounds of that, If it is still working ok I would run it for a week or so,, You may of just fixed something with the hammer also.

Was thinking about this post - What exactly did you mean when you said "You may have fixed something"?

I was always under the impression that tapping it was a temporary solution.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Was thinking about this post - What exactly did you mean when you said "You may have fixed something"?

I was always under the impression that tapping it was a temporary solution.
Something may have been Jamed on new started,, You may of knocked it loose.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I'll just start adding ground wires to alternator and starter and see what happens.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I wish I was young enough to use the creeper as a phone holder and not a creeper! I swear crawling around under the truck for awhile, makes me feel it in the morning.
I'll second this...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Knocking on a starter never fixes anything, with an old unit it might get you another few starts, but something is not right. It's good you went for the ACDelco new unit, but just because you bought a quality new part, don't assume it has to be good, even the best parts manufactures have the occasional defect.

You can check the resistance of each cable, and / or perform voltage drop tests to see what the condition of a cable is, but I would tend to agree with @Rusty Nail replacing 40 something year old cables is not a bad idea. Some might even say it's cheap insurance against a future issue. It's super easy on your trucks anyway and would be a great time to switch to a top post battery if that is your thing.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I have always been quick to replace the battery cables, they probably don't flow too well after say, 35 or 45 years, don'tcha reckon?

Yeah already replaced the negative battery cable for this reason. About 2 years ago. It was completely corroded inside. Now the problem appears again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84