Help!! I need a trick to free up a motor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I have a 78 k10 that will be next springs project. I have it stored way out back of the yard and this week I thought I'd move it to where I can get to it before the snow gets to deep.

I tossed a new battery in it and it eventually fired up and idled no problem, but the ground is to wet to move it so I shut it off. Did the same thing the next day, five minute idle and shut it down.

Today I go to move it, fires right up and idles, then it starts to rev up a little, maybe 1000-1200 and I can't get it to come down kicking the peddle so I turn it off. Fired it back up and idles fine then it dies....like it's out of gas, but it's not . Go to fire it back up and it struggles to turn over, like a low battery, but the battery's new and fully charged and also checked the battery ground and that's good. And yes it has oil, and never made any unusual noises

I'm thinking it all but seized up, so what do I do to free it up some?

I need it to run at least long enough to move it to an accessible spot in the yard. .

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Have you turned it over by hand to verify it's actually seized?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I doubt its seized up. If it was running I highly doubt it seized after that, unless there was some god awful noise and it just completely shut down in milliseconds, but that's not how you explained it. The starter is probably crap, and the alternator may not be charging as well, possibly a bad battery? Also clean the positive connections as well, especially down on the starter. You'll want to check timing as well.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Have you turned it over by hand to verify it's actually seized?
No, It still turns over with the starter, but very slow.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
The starter is probably crap, and the alternator may not be charging as well, possibly a bad battery? Also clean the positive connections as well, especially down on the starter. You'll want to check timing as well.

It acts like a bad battery connection or started issue, but the battery is new and the connections are good at the battery. I'll check at the starter connection. I might pull the plugs and see if it spins any better.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I agree with Mason's line of thought on this. If it were me, I'd turn it by hand to see how much resistance it has. I've never seen an engine seize at idle unless it was helped to do so.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Well I can't seem to get the crank to budge. also found what smells like a large puddle of gas on the ground back near oil filter flywheel area....wtf.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Just pulled the oil drain plug and I think more gas then oil came out.

I think I should have done this a couple months ago, It's frickin cold out there.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
That's brutal. Have you pulled the plugs yet?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Have you pulled the plugs yet?
yeah, I just throw in new oil, pulled the plugs and it spins like a top.
I'm leaning toward bad starter now.
And it must be me, but I still can't move the crank by hand, :shrug:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are You trying to turn the crank with a socket on the H balancer bolt ?

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
Are You trying to turn the crank with a socket on the H balancer bolt ?
I should have, but no, I was at the ring gear trying by hand. I use to be able to do it when I was young.

I threw the plugs back in and it turned over better than before, then it slowed down to to a crawl. I'll bite the bullet for a new starter and see what happens. Also sourcing some new ground cables, the PO has the battery ground going to the starter mounting bolt.....First time I seen that.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I should have, but no, I was at the ring gear trying by hand. I use to be able to do it when I was young.

I threw the plugs back in and it turned over better than before, then it slowed down to to a crawl. I'll bite the bullet for a new starter and see what happens. Also sourcing some new ground cables, the PO has the battery ground going to the starter mounting bolt.....First time I seen that.

That cable to the starter bolt could be causing an issue in itself, it might be dying because it’s flooding which is probably why there’s a bunch of gas in your oil. Most of the time you won’t be able to spin them over by hand, you”ll need to put a socket and breaker bar on the balancer bolt. 5/8 head on it

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just pulled the oil drain plug and I think more gas then oil came out.

I think I should have done this a couple months ago, It's frickin cold out there.

Just shooting from the hip here:

That gas in the crankcase - whatever the source (presumably leaked from the bottom of the carburetor) - ultimately got there by seeping through the gaps between the piston rings/cylinder walls. But it didn't immediately flow right past the rings. For some period of time, it was pooled on the top of the piston crown. While sitting there, the effective height of the piston was increased. Consequently the compression ratio was also increased. If enough gas were able to accumulate on the pistons, the compression ratio would eventually reach the point where it would exceed the starter motor's ability to crank the engine.

Pulling the plugs and cranking the engine likely purged any remaining accumulated gas from the cylinders. Then for while, after the plugs were reinstalled, it cranked normally - until some more gas got into the cylinders. Then the cranking speed began to drop again.

Maybe investigate how the gas is getting into the crankcase/oil.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Sounds like it is flooding with gasoline as mentioned above