Heads-intake help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
An 82 as far as I know. Here's a couple pics of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I've got a brand new sbc cam and lifters. I put a BBC in the truck and now dont have a use for it now. Let some of these other guys that know more about cams than me check it out.

Here are the specs on it

I don't know if it's gonna fit your application but, if it does I'll make ya a deal on it.

Hope we can help each other out

That cam looks comparable to a comp 262 for small block chevy. The LSA is a little tighter on this one pictured which would lend me to believe its ground for down low torque, it would be relatively smooth and probably peak below 5,000rpm. Tighter LSA's move the torque curve farther down the rpm band. It looks to be a step or two up from a stock cam profile.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My truck came with a new Goodwrench 350. I didn't care for the low power it had so I swapped to the same Vortec heads you have but I used a comp cam.

Then I made a big mistake by trying to 'budget build" the top end.

I used a Edelbrock Vortec manifold, new HEI and Holley Sniper TBI.

Major pain in the ass. TBI sucks and sucks worse on Vortec intakes.

Ended up doing what I should have in the first place and installed an Edelbrock Pro-Flo COMPLETE system.

To add insult to injury, it was cheaper in the end than the POS TBI.

Buy once-cry once.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Have you tried FB marketplace or LetItGo or something similar for Vortec heads? Around here they are usually $5-600 a pair.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
An 82 as far as I know. Here's a couple pics of it.

So while I appreciate it the offer, I decided to keep the comp cams kit that I have and change the cam. Thank you for the offer though and your time.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
What the hell happened to my post? boohoo..

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Where and how much for the heads?

This was from an engine builder.
They are just the simple Vortec's that everyone has, just pocket ported some under the valve.
Should be pretty simple to have a competent shop perform the needed grinding.

Lots of research to be had on the internets.
As far as I can see, the Summit branded "Vortec" heads are the ones I would go for at this time.
They are new and have extra meat where the factory ones could use it.

Here is a link:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-151124

Do some reading as it should be pretty simple to build a stout engine with these and the right camshaft to compliment them.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
This was from an engine builder.
They are just the simple Vortec's that everyone has, just pocket ported some under the valve.
Should be pretty simple to have a competent shop perform the needed grinding.

I was getting all conflicted with amount of info since I'm trying to put vortec heads on a non vortec block. Between air gaps, toes of intakes, different bolt patterns, the right EFI, nothing close to a straight answer, many variables. Some say high vain or low, high for low flow. Ensure you get the correct one for low temp area since I live in the Northeast I have to be concerned with have the proper air flow for temps less than 40 deg.

The heads from summit as you suggested seems to be a good fit, it's the intake that's the issue now. ‍♂️...... Damn build. Lol

Lots of research to be had on the internets.
As far as I can see, the Summit branded "Vortec" heads are the ones I would go for at this time.
They are new and have extra meat where the factory ones could use it.

Here is a link:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-151124

Do some reading as it should be pretty simple to build a stout engine with these and the right camshaft to compliment them.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
If you run the Vortec heads, you just need the vortec specific intake that matches your camshaft.
Edlebrock performer or performer RPM.
Easy peasy.

The rest will all be just fine.
It is an engine and does not know where it lives.

I drove a 1972 Nova with a mild 350 in it all year round.
From snowing all day long to 105* summer heat.
It never gave me any issue, even without a choke.
Built right, it will treat you like a champ.
Now the car doesn't know that it is a full blown race car in the hands of its current owner.

Just need to find a recipe and build to it.
It has been done many times before for us, just like baking a pie.

sdewolfe

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did anyone else notice the 5.0 (305) block ID? This thread started off asking about a 350, didn't it? Make sure of what you have before going forward.

QBuff02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Did anyone else notice the 5.0 (305) block ID? This thread started off asking about a 350, didn't it? Make sure of what you have before going forward.

Nope, looked right over it! Good eye Amigo!

That changes things..

sdewolfe

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've never owned a 305 so I did about two hours worth of reading about it since I saw your post. The 14010203 casting number puts your engine somewhere near 9.5:1 CR and about 150 (GM) HP stock. From what I have read, you can make a respectable street engine out it. Just Google "chevy 305 build". Lots of information out there.

You asked about cam and heads. There is a shipload of information you need before you settle on a setup that will be streetable and quick too. Before you call a cam manufacturer asking for guidance, you will need to gather some information they will need. This is the information that Crower asks for:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/39624304/camshaft-recommendation-form-crower

As you can see from that questionnaire, before you call for a cam recommendation there is a lot of information to gather. You will need to settle on heads before you call so you can provide the flow information they ask for.

May I recommend dropping the EFI idea and instead going with an Edelbrock 600 CFM carb? MUCH cheaper and runs just fine out of the box.

Hopefully that is helpful.

RedGeneral

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Okay so I'm REALLY confused....
To clarify this build is for a SBC 350 5.7LT.

I want to thank everyone for sharing your knowledge, experiences and struggles. I'm glad I found this forum.
Just an update I did purchase the Comp Cam Xtreme Cam that was recommended and will be purchasing the Summit Vortec heads. I believe the Edelbrock RPM intake might be the best choice for this build while it's a bit more expensive than the Summit Stage 3, the Edelbrock seems to have a solid rep for these options.
I will be selling the
COMP Cams Thumpr Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft 12-600-4 even up for a trade depending on the item. (So tell your friends) lol.

As always please keep your suggestions coming and I absolutely appreciate everyone's time.
Stay safe, enjoy some much deserved family time!

Discipline Equals Freedom

QBuff02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Okay so I'm REALLY confused....
To clarify this build is for a SBC 350 5.7LT.

I want to thank everyone for sharing your knowledge, experiences and struggles. I'm glad I found this forum.
Just an update I did purchase the Comp Cam Xtreme Cam that was recommended and will be purchasing the Summit Vortec heads. I believe the Edelbrock RPM intake might be the best choice for this build while it's a bit more expensive than the Summit Stage 3, the Edelbrock seems to have a solid rep for these options.
I will be selling the
COMP Cams Thumpr Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft 12-600-4 even up for a trade depending on the item. (So tell your friends) lol.

As always please keep your suggestions coming and I absolutely appreciate everyone's time.
Stay safe, enjoy some much deserved family time!

Discipline Equals Freedom

In the pictures you posted above, the 14010203 casting number on the back of the block shows it's a 305 engine, and the giveaway is at the top of the bellhousing where it says GM 5.0L. So are you replacing the block with a 350 block? Or building a different engine altogether? If that's the case I see where the mix-up came from based off of the pictures you posted up previously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes