Headlight Custom Wiring Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10, and its got the suburban front nose on it, so i have the suburban headlights (And radiator support, so the grille and headlights could be mounted).
It came with the truck, and i like it, although i like the stock look more, but not enough to go spend the money on changing it over (I'm 16.. moneys real tight!)
Although, i do like how its not that common of a look

But, at night its horrendous.
The orange running light is diagonal the low beam light. When the high-beams are on, i like it.

So, to fix this ive thought of a couple of ideas, and i'd like some feedback on them. I'm pretty sure i know how i'd do both of them, just would have to think about it a bit to figure it out.

Switch the directional with the running light wiring. But, then it'd have the bad look to it when the high beams are on, but it'd be a lot better than it is, and probably simpler than my second idea

Have both the running light and directional on when the headlights are on. Obviously, i'd still need a directional. So, i'd have them both dimmed (Using a resistor, they can still be lit up, but not with the full voltage), then when the directional is on the outside light (The directional one) would be lit up with the full voltage. And, either when the directional is on have it flash brighter then go to the dimmer light, or have the light flash on then the whole directional light piece shut off and on like it normally would, then when the directional is shut off have it resume its normal dim lighting.

What are your thoughts on either of these? Which do you think would be better? Personally, i like idea 2 and am leaning towards attempting it, maybe trying it on a bench with other lights to plan it out first, then putting it to the truck.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
To be honest....I don't have a clue what you want to do here.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea I'm kinda lost too

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I think he just wants brighter lights. Idk

Sent from the dust in front of you!

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
My 86 has high beams, low beams, and the orange running lights. The previous owner swapped the highs with the lows and wired them to a switch which allows you to run all three lights at one time. It puts out an unreal amount of light.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You mean both circuits of the low beam and the high beam? or the low beam the high beam and the orange lights?

I have the dual head lights and when on high beam all 4 headlights are on is that what you mean ?

Should post some pics to make it easier for every one to see what you mean

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
so your saying you have a 89-91 burban front end and all three lights work at the same time?

if so this is what to do. Take every piece of wiring they the PO did and remove it. Then go to a junkyard and find a 89-91 headlight harness and cut it about a foot from the plug on the firewall(89-91plugs are totally different) Now hook up all the bulbs in the prop location once everything is nice and neat and you have wiring ran a foot from the firewall use your factory plug. Plug it in. Color match all the wires(they should all be the same) Solder then heat shrink the wires. and boom your all set

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Nooo, i'm thinking of switching the high beams with the low beams, i have a suburban front grille with the lights. I want to move the low beams above the orange running light, so then it wont look wierd with the 2 lights being on most of the time being at a diagonal

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Nooo, i'm thinking of switching the high beams with the low beams, i have a suburban front grille with the lights. I want to move the low beams above the orange running light, so then it wont look wierd with the 2 lights being on most of the time being at a diagonal
Essentially, you want to physically move the high beams up and put the low beams on the bottom right above the running lights?

Did you also want to make it so that all four of the lights are on with the high beams?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins

lets clear something up, saying you have suburban front grill means absolutely nothing because every suburban had the same grills as trucks and blazers did

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im still lost!

ON the mini quad grills both high and low beams are above the front grill mounted turn marker light.

So are you saying that the low beams are towards the inside and the high beams are to the outside?

If changing the location of the high and low beams is what you are talking about, that is totally possible. Just change around the bulbs and wiring and your done.

On the older style quad grills the low beam is on the top and the front turn marker would then be at some what of a diagonal to the low beam as the front turn marker is mounted to the inside of the headlights at the bottom of the grill.

Same thing if you wanna change around the lights its just a matter of changing the light bulbs around.

From the factory you should have all 4 high and low beam bulbs on when you turn on your high beams. The only reason you would not have all 4 on is if the wiring has been monkeyed with.

The thing with new trucks is that from the factory you can not have factory fog lights on with the high beams so you have to purchase components to enable high beams with factory fog lights. Apparently this will void vehicle warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph916