Craziest antitheft idea yet.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 78 had an electric E-brake with a push button. The real downside of that is they equipped it with a button with a red illuminated light. My current build will be getting one but will not have the button in sight.

One of these units

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I was stationed on a ship at Pearl Harbor, I used the Navy hobby shop near military housing to do a full rebuild of the entire drivetrain for my '73 Dodge Dart; 340 small block, 727 transmission, and 8-3/4 rear end.
I also completely rewired the entire engine bay, going up a gage on all the wiring and sinking the harness under the fenders.

Anyhow, the fateful day came when everything was done and it was time to start it.

Turned the key, and instead of cranking noises, the horn beeped!

My heart sank and I hung my head over the steering wheel, wondering what I could have screwed up.

Then a sneaking thought hit me; oh, could it be this simple?

Turned the key to on, then hit the horn and VROOM, she cranked right over!

Just two wires were switched. I always thought I should have left it that way as a theft deterrent. ;P

That's exactly what I have always thought about doing. The last thing a thief wants while stealing is drawing attention to themselves. It's counter intuitive and simple.

Last edited:

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
E-brake related theft detterent won't work. If you can do a standing burnout without a line locks, that is applying rear brakes hydraulically then you could for sure overpower e-brake. Yes, it will overheat the brakes in no time. Thief will not care, rear brakes would simply stop working.

With EFI one idea is to mess with signals that make it work. Just saying :)

By the way with theft deterrent it is same story as with owning a safe: You don't talk about it :)

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Park a lion in the cab when left unattended. I dare anyone but Seigfried or Roy to start it and take off. And yes, I know they're both dead, so who's going to drive off now? :evillol:

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
OG. Manual trans. Todays thieves are too stupid or lazy to exert much effort.

Many manual transmission Ford Super Duty and other easy-theft truck owners wish you were right. Anyone mechanically competent enough to start a vehicle without a key is not going to be deterred by a third pedal. Though, for the run of the mill ghetto goblin trying to jack idling cars at red lights or in parking lots, a manual transmission could possibly be a deterrent.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Many manual transmission Ford Super Duty and other easy-theft truck owners wish you were right. Anyone mechanically competent enough to start a vehicle without a key is not going to be deterred by a third pedal. Though, for the run of the mill ghetto goblin trying to jack idling cars at red lights or in parking lots, a manual transmission could possibly be a deterrent.
You can't take things "literally". Geez, I've said that a million times!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
We have a blue t connection to our phones so if the thing starts it pops up on the phone. Takes a photo of the thief and puts the car into "safe mode (It will only go about 15 mph.) Wife and I both "carry" so if we are close enough problem solved.
That's pretty cool

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
Ive always wanted some kind of rfid circuit to power on the fuel pump relay, make it to where you have to have the chip on you in order for a relay to close

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
Ive always wanted some kind of rfid circuit to power on the fuel pump relay, make it to where you have to have the chip on you in order for a relay to close
The FOB thing is kind of what I had leaned toward when rewiring my truck and will likely add down the road in parallel to the ground cutout toggle for the start and FP relays. Lots of cheap looking offshore options out there. Figured a guy would want an override option if it ever did quit.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Story today about a beloved 57 Belair stolen in Az.
They cased the owners routine, unlocked his gates & winched up on a roll back. Neighbor got the truck on camera. Nothing you can do if they are determined pros. Best is a cheap hidden phone that you or cops can locate.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Best is a cheap hidden phone that you or cops can locate.
Apple Airtag or Andriod Tile. No need to worry about charging them.

Of course, there are also GPS trackers that you can permanently install as well and use software to locate.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Apple Airtag or Andriod Tile. No need to worry about charging them.

Of course, there are also GPS trackers that you can permanently install as well and use software to locate.

Won't work, at least in Poland: A handheld jammer became a standard equipment for car thieves these days. Such devices are cheap and ensure that GPS can't fix and any bidirectional communication, e.g. GSM or Bluetooth is broken.

Nothing you can do if they are determined pros.

Exactly, it all depends on how determined they are. If there is an "order" placed for your vehicle and it is worth it then it is really difficult to keep it safe.

But even with thieves it is a matter of "cost" vs profit. If it is prohibitively expensive and risky to arrange a successful operation to steal it, then it will not be worth a try.

On the other hand a stock square body with no additional anti theft protection can be broken into and stolen and driven away with like couple of wires, like in video games. No steering lock, no immobilizer, easy to access electrical system...

Attachments

• obraz_2024-03-14_221117572.png
    obraz_2024-03-14_221117572.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag