Headers or Manifold ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
my truck came from the last guy with headers, they interfere with the auto shift linkage, I cannot shift into 2nd or 1st manually. It hits the header on the driver side.

i want to replace the headers with either the correct long tube ( preferred ) or use a hugger header.

I purchased factory manifolds but you cannot purchase the Y pipe after the manifolds anymore, one manifold has a donut flange and the other has a standard flange, seems this cannot be modified to accept new down pipes ( that is what I was told ) .

So Im thinking just buy headers that fit properly.

I dont want to spend more than 300 on the headers if possible. Ill coat them later

please any info would be appreciated

Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
^×2
It won't hurt to just beat a small dent in the hedder so the linkage won't rub. Your hedders look To be in good shape. I wouldn't buy new ones when you can make those work.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had that problem. I just shitcanned the linkage altogether along with the trans. Dropped in a NV4500 and all is well.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
forget these things, sent them back they would be way to restricted with that stupid heat riser. Im running EFI shortly anyway.

IM sure the EFI will spark many questions

anyone recommend a good EFI forum ? SBC/Holley Sniper EFI

DrPrepper

Reaction score
First Name
Dwight
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
400ci
Were you afraid of the local muffler shop?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Couple of options for you. Lokar (ACA-1800) makes this shifter linkage. Frankenchevy used it on his truck. You can get heat risers/bypass through Summit Racing in 2" or 2.5" if you want to run the OEM manifolds..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MIiNm06bKk8gIVmB6tBh3ffgAZEAQYASABEgKGxvD_BwE

summitracing.com/search/part-type/exhaust-heat-risers/make/chevrolet/engine-size/5-7l-350/engine-family/chevy-small-block-gen-i

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
thanks for the input , no wasnt afraid of the muffler shop lol, dont want restriction like that ...

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@81squared,

I have the Lokar shift linkage kit on my truck but I'm running Hooker headers to. But the other guys are right, you take something like a large socket and find the place where you need room and you hit that spot. I'll guarantee you if you called Hooker they would tell you to hit it. As a matter of fact I saw recently a set of headers that had the dent already in the down tube where the shift linkage would be rubbing. It was already there! So hit it, Man, hit it!

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
@81squared,

I have the Lokar shift linkage kit on my truck but I'm running Hooker headers to. But the other guys are right, you take something like a large socket and find the place where you need room and you hit that spot. I'll guarantee you if you called Hooker they would tell you to hit it. As a matter of fact I saw recently a set of headers that had the dent already in the down tube where the shift linkage would be rubbing. It was already there! So hit it, Man, hit it!

There is a video on youtube on engine masters where they tested before and after a dent in headers. Because people dent em for spark plug access. After repeated attempts on the dyno it failed to make any difference.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Jawzjeep,

Saw it. That's why I'm saying there is a brand of header, and I wish I could recall who it is, maybe Doug Thorley headers? I don't remember, nowadays there are so many header makers it could be any number of them. But they make them with a dent already in the offending tube. They know it's not going to make any difference on performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1