Header/Exhaust thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Ceramic coated headers do work as far as reducing engine compartment temps.

I have to disagree with this statement. It made a significant change in under hood temps on my Jimmy and Fiero.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
I have to disagree with this statement. It made a significant change in under hood temps on my Jimmy and Fiero.

Hey Snoots, which part of his post are you disagreeing with? Everything I've read indicates lower engine compartment temperatures with the installation of ceramic headers.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Oops!
I missread that one. I must've needed another beer.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Haven't had a chance to do any work on Blue, my work schedule is pretty intense these days. I'm not complaining though. :)

I hate even bringing this up, but I'm contemplating getting some shortys in there. I've read (although there are differing opinions on the subject) that shortys are better than stock manifold for torque on the low rpm side. This is mainly where I'll be driving. Hell, I've been driving her daily for two weeks, and haven't gone over 3K in her! LOL

My thought is, if I'm just looking for low end grunt, (and if I'm being honest, low cost and ease of installation are factors), are the shortys so bad? Yeah, I know that the long tubes will generate more of the scavenging advantages, but I just don't think I'll be pushing the motor that hard to take advantage of that. I'll probably be throwing in an RV cam and some better flowing heads at some point, but I don't foresee any serious hot roddin' in my future. Just a little low end thump.

Another factor is that I'm dealing with an exhaust manifold leak. I figure I can just swap the manifolds to shortys when I fix the leak, and not have to worry about being without my ride while the exhaust shop gets the exhaust modified for long tubes. I only have about 3 hours a day to tinker, and no days off for the next month or so.

What say y'all? Are shortys just a waste of time?

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I'd almost bet the exhaust shop would rather hook up long tube headers than the shortys. Everything is lower and easier to work with???

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Shorty's are easier to install but, long tube headers scavange and reduce back pressure better giving you more torque and HP thru low to midrange.

Whatever you decide, get the ceramic coated ones. Priceier yes, but worth it.

If all you're looking for is low end grunt and ease of install, go with the shorties.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Shorty's are easier to install but, long tube headers scavange and reduce back pressure better giving you more torque and HP thru low to midrange.

Whatever you decide, get the ceramic coated ones. Priceier yes, but worth it.

If all you're looking for is low end grunt and ease of install, go with the shorties.

Thanks Snoots, that's what I'm thinking as well. I'd like to get them ordered soon, but every website only shows long tubes for an 83 K20. Any pointers to get me going in the right direction?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Cain't help you there. Summit, Jeg's; that's all that comes to mind right now. Check out some of GMSB's sponsors.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have used the hedman's on three square body build's, (small block's) so far and never have had to take a hammer to them as well (for fitment) in all of my 4x4 applications, (auto trans. and manual trans.)

Hedman 69830 by chance??

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My thought is, if I'm just looking for low end grunt, (and if I'm being honest, low cost and ease of installation are factors), are the shortys so bad? Yeah, I know that the long tubes will generate more of the scavenging advantages, but I just don't think I'll be pushing the motor that hard to take advantage of that. I'll probably be throwing in an RV cam and some better flowing heads at some point, but I don't foresee any serious hot roddin' in my future. Just a little low end thump.

What say y'all? Are shortys just a waste of time?

Long tubes are going to give more low end than shorty's. With a cam and heads in the future, go long tube.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Long tubes are going to give more low end than shorty's. With a cam and heads in the future, go long tube.

So, I was looking into shortys mainly because I didn't want to modify my existing exhaust pipes. It seems though, that I can't find a set of shortys (Jegs/Summit/GSMB sponsors) that wouldn't require exhaust modification anyway, so I'm back to ordering some long tubes.

With that being said, I have a question regarding the benefits of long tubes vs shortys. I've read articles and seen vids where folks say that shortys will help torque in the low RPM range (where I'll be for the majority of my cruisin' around), and long tubes will help torque (and HP) in the mid to upper RPM range. Yet I've seen in several forums that folks say that long tubes are just better all the way around.

I'm digging into the data now, but if you have some additional insight, I'd appreciate the help. :)

Thanks!

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, I was looking into shortys mainly because I didn't want to modify my existing exhaust pipes. It seems though, that I can't find a set of shortys (Jegs/Summit/GSMB sponsors) that wouldn't require exhaust modification anyway, so I'm back to ordering some long tubes.

With that being said, I have a question regarding the benefits of long tubes vs shortys. I've read articles and seen vids where folks say that shortys will help torque in the low RPM range (where I'll be for the majority of my cruisin' around), and long tubes will help torque (and HP) in the mid to upper RPM range. Yet I've seen in several forums that folks say that long tubes are just better all the way around.

I'm digging into the data now, but if you have some additional insight, I'd appreciate the help. :)

Thanks!

Do a dive into youtube. Search for dyno header results, or something along those lines. You will find, in regards to a SBC, long tubes will produce more low RPM torque. I cringed the other day when I saw a video on Summit Racing's site stating shorty's made more low rpm torque. No, they don't. Look up actual dyno proven results for yourself. Hell, CALL a header manufacturer and ask them! Look on their websites and see what they claim. HTH

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Do a dive into youtube. Search for dyno header results, or something along those lines. You will find, in regards to a SBC, long tubes will produce more low RPM torque. I cringed the other day when I saw a video on Summit Racing's site stating shorty's made more low rpm torque. No, they don't. Look up actual dyno proven results for yourself. Hell, CALL a header manufacturer and ask them! Look on their websites and see what they claim. HTH

Yep, that first video from Summit is what led me down the rabbit hole of confusion. I've run LT headers and loved them, but was really curious about the shortys based on the reasons above. Pretty sure I'm going with LTs. ;)

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I always say that if you can fit LT's, to run those. I do understand going to shorty's for clearance and/or fitment issues. For instance, my buddy Zach has a 5.3 swapped 76 Camaro. It started with LT's, but he recently swapped to shorty's so he wouldn't drag the collector flanges on the road. I understand that, and am on board. But, I told him he would lose bottom end power. He was of the same mind set that shorty's would improve it, especially going from 1 3/4 long tubes to 1 7/8 shorty's. NOPE! He lost bottom end like I told him. Then on the flip side, I installed a set of long tubes on my Monte, even though I had a set of shorty's at my disposal. The LT's dropped right in beautifully, so that's what I am running! I will be watching what you do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr