Got it running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
Well I need the call a friend option . I’m ready to give up. tore the quadrajet apart from the shooting gas out the accelerator pump issue and replaced the pump all good there, but I’m lost as to the biggest problem when I start the truck the carb seems like it goes to wide open throttle I have to shut the truck right down for fear of blowing it up. Any ideas guys?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Is there a Return spring for the carb?

I dunno alot about quadrajets , I'm a holley guy, but I've had it happen before. No return spring and the truck takes off when you turn it on

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
I have the return spring attached.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
If i were you id take it back apart again and make sure all is seated correctly.... i remember a story dad told me from his younger years about his best friend rebuilding a dirt bike carb and the slide wasnt seated correctly. Upon start up the bike went wide open and took off across the yard. May be somethin simple... im just spit ballin.

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
it’s a new base gasket, I plugged all the vacuum lines except the large one at the back and bottom of the carb, I think that supplies to a transmission switch, does that need to be plugged?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
it’s a new base gasket, I plugged all the vacuum lines except the large one at the back and bottom of the carb, I think that supplies to a transmission switch, does that need to be plugged?
No that goes to the brake booster i do believe....

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
You right I think it does brake booster plug that one also or hook it up?

Hammerback

Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My brake booster is hooked up as far as the large line. I'm about to pull my quadrajet off, have a rod knocking (I think) and oil full of metal shavings. My carb seems to leak just a tiny bit right after you shut off engine, but stops after a few seconds. Have a big block to take it's spot already, plan on replacing the carb with a different one, as I know I couldn't rebuild it and it ever run again. Lol

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Start with the simple stuff first. Is the throttle fully closed? Is the fast idle screw cranked up? Is it on fast idle when it races?

Have you verified all the vaccum ports are plugged? Do you have the correct base gasket?

Regardless of what people say, Q-Jets are not that difficult to build. I’m betting it’s something simple.

Jimbarry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Do you have cruise control? Mine engaged on initial startup after rebuild.

ReefkoiC10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS3
Yeah that big port needs to be connected or plugged one or the other, thats a big vac source

Metalcrafter

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I agree that perhaps the fast idle cam is not adjusted properly. This might help:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That's a huge vacuum leak. You need to plug that, or if you have power brakes you need to hook it up. Did you set all of your initial settings per the instructions in the rebuild kit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito