Got an engine miss devoloping...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Last night on a cruise I started getting a miss, feels like a spark miss, and is very random and mostly under a load or sitting stopped at a light in gear. Not really a pattern to it like it is the same cylinder. Everything in the ignition just about has been replaced just about. Just popped up out of nowhere. I am going to check the coil screws that hold that steel thing together, and check the cap and rotor. If I see nothing I will start checking plugs I guess, just wondered on your thoughts of where I should look.

Plugs, coil, module, cap and rotor, wires are all under 6 months old. :think:

Not too bad of a miss like shaking the truck, just very annoying and enough of one to notice something is not right.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I remember you put cheap wires on it that were junk right from the start, then put better wires on it, right? Is it still a cheap cap/rotor on it?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I got the copper terminal cap and rotor. I am opening her up now.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The terminals had some green **** on them again. Like sulfur or something. I cleaned them off and it seems fine now. This happens every couple a months and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Copper turns green when it oxidizes....Look at the statue of Liberty.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The terminals had some green **** on them again. Like sulfur or something. I cleaned them off and it seems fine now. This happens every couple a months and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Maybe from all the time spent sitting at the boat dock?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Man, my TBI has liked nothing but ACD caps since day one. The last time one was put on it, the ACDs were out and it's had a slight random miss every since. It's really bad on very damp/wet days. In hard rain, it'll even die at red lights, but cranks back up. They're not expensive, and you have to pull it off anyway to grease the contacts. When/if it starts again, might as well get a new ACD one and grease the contacts before putting it on.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Upon hooking the boat up and towing last might problem is still there, I will have to check the plugs next.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I am wondering about that free coil and ignition module. If it was a more even miss, like a certain cylinder, i could tell you how to find it, but this sounds like the coil or the module. you can hook a timing light to the coil wire to see if there is a skip, that way you you know if its ignition, and not fuel droplets from dirty injectors....oh yeah, while the timing light is hooked up to the coil, point it at the injector spray...they should kinda look like they are alternating, or "breathing" back and forth.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am wondering about that free coil and ignition module. If it was a more even miss, like a certain cylinder, i could tell you how to find it, but this sounds like the coil or the module. you can hook a timing light to the coil wire to see if there is a skip, that way you you know if its ignition, and not fuel droplets from dirty injectors....oh yeah, while the timing light is hooked up to the coil, point it at the injector spray...they should kinda look like they are alternating, or "breathing" back and forth.

Good advice. Another thing I just thought of is I remember my mechanic said he put a cooler range spark plug in, they are AC plus, but the next cooler range down, I wonder if that is the problem and a plug is caked up with chit. I don't know why he did that. It is a stock motor.

As far as that dielectric grease, that is what caused my problems with the last set of wires, it came with it pre installed in the plug boots and it was shorting out my spark and shocking the chit out of me so I stay away from that crap. I have not ever heard of it being used inside the cap though. How many of you do that?

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Those sound like faulty wires. I've run it on spark plug tips as long as I can remember and never had that happen.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah, never had a problem with the grease. As far as plugs go, stick with the Delco RS45's.

And while your at it, there are some screened vent holes in the bottom of your distributor, make sure those are clean, maybe use some electrical cleaner...might be locking moisture inside the cap and causing your issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486