Got an engine miss devoloping...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yup, pull the plug, set it to 4(per the picture) plug it back in, and disconnect the battery for 15 seconds, then connect and start it up...let the computer relearn everything. If you can, take a few drives at around 30 mph to help it along.

Ok let me understand this 100 percent Jimbo. :005:

Bring engine to operating temp, pull the brown wire, set timing to 4.

Then plug the brown wire back in, then shut the motor off, then disconnect battery for 15 sec. Or shut the motor off, then plug in the brown wire? :think:

Then restart and do the relearn while driving to get lunch? lol.... :roflbow:

Couple miles of stop and go at 30-35 enough? It's perfect because all hills too. So it will cover a lot of variables driving to Primo Hoagies. :grd:

And since I am removing the bat cables I may do a bat terminal mod, I hate those short, useless, factory bolts that strip out the threads on the terminals.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Bring it to operating temp. shut off. pull wire. start. let run 15 seconds. set timing to 4 on your bent scale. turn off. disconnect battery wait 15 seconds, reconnect battery, plug dizzy wire back in.
Enjoy!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Bring it to operating temp. shut off. pull wire. start. let run 15 seconds. set timing to 4 on your bent scale. turn off. disconnect battery wait 15 seconds, reconnect battery, plug dizzy wire back in.
Enjoy!

Ok Jim, all this is done. Did a 10 mile relearn, every driving condition you can think of, stop/go, 30-40 round the town's hilly back roads, light and heavy throttle. Hopped on the interstate for a 1 exit lap over 2 big hills, cruise on and off, heavy up hill high speed accel. Got a ever so slight pinging at 3/4 throttle before downshift, it goes away right away, in both 3rd and OD. Trans is shifting perfectly when you expect it to. Now I am going to try and pull some codes out of it, TC is not locking up at all still.

Gonna go tear the gauge cover off and stick the EL bulb in and see if she does any talking.....

Oh, the timing mark was originally at 5. :wtf: That might have been something I did by hand after setting to 0 was causing issues.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Jim, is there any way to test the speed sensor while I got the instrument cluster pulled out?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am hot and tired and pissed off, had this dash apart for 5 hours. Everthing is back together, VSS was tested and confirmed that it works.

I can't get the codes to keep flashing. I get the first round or 2 of the 12 code then it dies off, gets really dim, barely lights up, random flutter of the light. I give up for the day, time to take the boat out and drink.

Thanks for the help on the phone Jim, but I can't get codes out of this thing to save my life. Not even the first 3 twelve codes. I will take a fresh approach tomorrow.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I am hot and tired and pissed off, had this dash apart for 5 hours. Everthing is back together, VSS was tested and confirmed that it works.

I can't get the codes to keep flashing. I get the first round or 2 of the 12 code then it dies off, gets really dim, barely lights up, random flutter of the light. I give up for the day, time to take the boat out and drink.

Thanks for the help on the phone Jim, but I can't get codes out of this thing to save my life. Not even the first 3 twelve codes. I will take a fresh approach tomorrow.

10-4! if your getting code 12 and it fades away, something has to be up with the Diagnostic circut. Maybe we can get Retro to snatch up a 7747 ecm, unless you want to get a reman from the parts store...that would be my next step if it were me.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
10-4! if your getting code 12 and it fades away, something has to be up with the Diagnostic circut. Maybe we can get Retro to snatch up a 7747 ecm, unless you want to get a reman from the parts store...that would be my next step if it were me.
Where does the ECM ground? I think I should check that.

I took a bunch of video and pics I'll post later bro.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The ecm grounds at the bolt on the thermostat housing....I have seen some ground wires go from the ecm plug, to the lower dash area above the passenger side kick panel, but is not like that with all trucks.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
[yt]VUaYozSNDcc[/yt]

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
[yt]XJLB79f2c20[/yt]

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
[yt]l8dQc-EaPZs[/yt]

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
[yt]oU3af-o1Dig[/yt]

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah, The ECM would be my next step. You can use a 7747 ECM from any 87-92 truck or van. Wrecking yards usually pull them and sell them for around $30. Somebody here may have a spare, or done away with their TBI for A carb or TPI.
Whatever you do, make sure you remove the PROM and CalPak from you original ECM. They are in there really snug, I usually use a screwdriver to pry them up, but try to do it as straight as possible. Same with putting them in, look at the chip pins and make sure they are straight.
A bad ECM is a rare oddity, and the chance of getting a bad one from a wrecker is slim.

The PROM is the big one on the Right, and the CalPak is the one on the left
You must be registered for see images attach

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
As far as the rough cold start, I think you may have a little dripping from your injectors, and the fuel is not atomizing properly in the cold manifold....mine is doing the same thing. But, lets get this ECM trouble code thing outta the way first,then you can use your timing light to watch your injectors.
I dont want to pile too much on you....you may not have enough beer on hand!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486