Good for Torque intake manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As you may have seen by my other post I am rebuilding my k20's 350 to either a 355 or a 383 haven't decided yet mostly dude to funding however I know I will be running vortec style heads and will need a matching intake. What do u guys suggest for good strong towing and pushing (plowing) power? The truck will never see super high RPMs (it's a truck not a corvette lol) so that is not an issue. Suggestions?
Also feel free to try to persuade me one way or the other as far as the 383 vs 355 decision. Thanks guys!

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have always been an Edelbrock believer, if I had the funds I would rip off the Holley 4175 carb on my 350 and stick an Edelbrock on there.The Edelbrock Performer 2716 would match up with the Vortec heads, good for idle to 5500 and is a square bore flange.

Just my $.02 ......

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Build for torque, and if funds allow that makes the 383 a no brainer. For the intake any good dual plane intake, stay away from single plane and tunnel ram intakes and you should be fine.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Build for torque, and if funds allow that makes the 383 a no brainer. For the intake any good dual plane intake, stay away from single plane and tunnel ram intakes and you should be fine.

x2... single plane and tunnel rams are for high rpm.
Eddy carbs ar junk, stick with Holley or Q jet.
A high lift cam with short duration would help too.
I vote 383.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Okay guys thanks for the quick responses yes I am definitely going dual plane and I have both an edelbrock 1406 and a holly 750cfm double pumper not sure of the model but I'm not sure ill use either one if I do go with the 383. Getting a parts list together I am leaning towards the 383 as it is not too much more expensive however some of the intakes I looked at that seemed like decent choices were:
Edelbrock performer
Edelbrock RPM air gap
Etc.
ill have to look into holly tonight I have no experience with their intakes. Anyone know if those edelbrocks are good for what I need?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
x2... single plane and tunnel rams are for high rpm.
Eddy carbs ar junk, stick with Holley or Q jet.
A high lift cam with short duration would help too.
I vote 383.

These words are true :imo:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Low end torque is mostly a function of an engine's ability to "breathe".

In large, sudden (on demand load) changes - such as during hard acceleration from a dead stop - the engine requires a larger supply of fuel/air mixture than during steady state loads.

While the amount of fuel that can be supplied is considered to be unlimited, in a normally aspirated engine the volume of air is entirely dependent on the flow capacity of the intake and outlet piping. Turbocharged engines can provide a much greater volume of combustion air due to the compressor pumping action.

My point is this; no matter how much air the intake manifold could handle and supply to the combustion space, the exhaust system must be capable of handling a similar volume.

You can buy and install the biggest intake - with the smoothest flow characteristics - but it will still be limited to the capacity of your exhaust system.

Exhaust capacity can be increased by the use of headers, elimination of any catalytic converters and augmenting exhaust piping diameter.

I'm just sayin' is all.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Low end torque is mostly a function of an engine's ability to "breathe".

In large, sudden (on demand load) changes - such as during hard acceleration from a dead stop - the engine requires a larger supply of fuel/air mixture than during steady state loads.

While the amount of fuel that can be supplied is considered to be unlimited, in a normally aspirated engine the volume of air is entirely dependent on the flow capacity of the intake and outlet piping. Turbocharged engines can provide a much greater volume of combustion air due to the compressor pumping action.

My point is this; no matter how much air the intake manifold could handle and supply to the combustion space, the exhaust system must be capable of handling a similar volume.

You can buy and install the biggest intake - with the smoothest flow characteristics - but it will still be limited to the capacity of your exhaust system.

Exhaust capacity can be increased by the use of headers, elimination of any catalytic converters and augmenting exhaust piping diameter.

I'm just sayin' is all.

Good point forgot to mention I already have true long tube headers down to a collector where the exhaust is 2.5 inches straight to the thrush mufflers on either side then out in front of the rear wheel with 3 inch so the exhaust side is covered no cat or anything holding it back

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I do`nt rememer if it was Holly or Edelbrock that had an intake manifold called "Torquer",but, that was along time ago.
I had one of those manifolds hooked to an early 350 that I had transplanted into a 73 Chevy Vega.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I do`nt rememer if it was Holly or Edelbrock that had an intake manifold called "Torquer",but, that was along time ago.
I had one of those manifolds hooked to an early 350 that I had transplanted into a 73 Chevy Vega.

Edelbrock "Torker". Despite their name, it's actually a manifold designed for the upper rpm range in a lighter weight type vehicle. It's a single plane manifold.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Good point forgot to mention I already have true long tube headers down to a collector where the exhaust is 2.5 inches straight to the thrush mufflers on either side then out in front of the rear wheel with 3 inch so the exhaust side is covered no cat or anything holding it back

3 inch tips, or 3 inch pipe from the mufflers back? If the latter, you could lose exhaust velocity. If i was running a turbo muffler, i would go a step or 2 down from the muffler back to keep things flowing after the cooling effects of a 3 pass muffler...even works good with Flowmasters.

Last edited:

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
3 inch tips 2.5 inch full system from headers through exhaust till right at the tip in front of the rear wheel where I have the 3 inch tips. And yes I read the torker was no good for low range RPM and torque as well

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
3 inch tips 2.5 inch full system from headers through exhaust till right at the tip in front of the rear wheel where I have the 3 inch tips. And yes I read the torker was no good for low range RPM and torque as well

Ok, cool...just wanted to make sure.
The bare bones performer manifold, or a holly equivilent will be your best bet as far as manifolds....dont even bother with the air gap types.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ok, cool...just wanted to make sure.
The bare bones performer manifold, or a holly equivilent will be your best bet as far as manifolds....dont even bother with the air gap types.

Alright thanks man ill look into it

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I did`nt know a lot about HP and torque back then,but,I do`nt know a lot about HP or torque now either.:happy107::lol::bowroflwerd6:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith