Front air dam, 4" or 5.5"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So, I tore off the stock air dam a couple weeks ago since it was busted anyway. I see on LMC they offer a 4" and 5.5" version. Is this just personal preference or what? Mine is an 86 2wd C10 and had the 5.5" version on it I believe.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From what I've seen on original trucks over the years, 2wd got the short one and 4x4 got the taller one. And only on 1/2 tons too, the heavier duty trucks didn't get one at all.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
While I can't comment on what came on what, keep in mind the air dam was an aerodynamic aid. It was utilized to re-direct air AROUND the truck, instead of allowing it to pass under the truck. Going around the truck is more aerodynamically efficient. Granted our trucks are literally shaped like a brick, but there are realistic things, such as air dams, we can do to improve the efficiency of them. Not sure if that helped, I just thought it needed to be put out there.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
While I can't comment on what came on what, keep in mind the air dam was an aerodynamic aid. It was utilized to re-direct air AROUND the truck, instead of allowing it to pass under the truck. Going around the truck is more aerodynamically efficient. Granted our trucks are literally shaped like a brick, but there are realistic things, such as air dams, we can do to improve the efficiency of them. Not sure if that helped, I just thought it needed to be put out there.

That is exactly why I've thought about putting a 5.5" on mine. Even a fraction of a mpg would help.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh I will definitely put another on. I just didn't want to put the 4" on and it look goofy or vice versa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is exactly why I've thought about putting a 5.5" on mine. Even a fraction of a mpg would help.

I have kicked around getting a C10 and doing a number of aero and mechanical enhancements to see what kind of MPG I could get out of our moving bricks.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh I will definitely put another on. I just didn't want to put the 4" on and it look goofy or vice versa.

Buy the 5.5", and if it is too big cut it down to the size you want. Maybe you will end up with something in between...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

My '84 didn't have an air dam on it when I got it. I drove it for a while like that and always kept track of my mileage (the real way too, not "I can go X amount on 40 bucks") and I ended up mounting an air dam because I had one and I figured it may help since I did a lot of freeway driving. More recently, I swapped my front bumper to the older style and I did not re-install the air dam because it never got me any more MPG at all. A wind tunnel may tell a different story, but my wallet says there was no difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef