87 Stock TBI 350 air cleaner lid flip upside down? Does it help? does it hurt? good or bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Frediani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V2500 Camper Special
Engine Size
TBI 5.7 350
I have a bone stock tbi 350 in my 87 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4. It has all the california emissions equipment on it. I see lots of people flipping the top of the air cleaner upside down to allow more air to the tbi unit. Does this help? why do people do it? does it mess with the computer controlled idle or mess with the factory tune? Can someone who knows the outcome please fill me in? The truck runs fine the way it is but Im curious to know what will happen If I do this to my stock truck

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Only thing it will do is allow heated air when warmed up and disable the hot air preheat when cold. The ECM will control the mix when within limits, heated air will lower the HP. It is hard for me to rationalize why people do things. A guess is they like the noise and don't understand TBI operation.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
On my '79 K15 I ran an open element air cleaner between smog tests for a while. I installed the 5" tall lid vs the standard 3' lid to the factory air cleaner base then ran a snorkel tube (photo 1). It ran way better, especially in the summer. I can't recall if the taller lid will fit under the hood on a TBI set up.

On my K30 (photo 2), it also runs the factory air cleaner set up, but I did cut the end off the deflector at the core support (photo 3). It creates a ram air set up.

You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On my '79 K15 I ran an open element air cleaner between smog tests for a while. I installed the 5" tall lid vs the standard 3' lid to the factory air cleaner base then ran a snorkel tube (photo 1). It ran way better, especially in the summer. I can't recall if the taller lid will fit under the hood on a TBI set up.

On my K30 (photo 2), it also runs the factory air cleaner set up, but I did cut the end off the deflector at the core support (photo 3). It creates a ram air set up.

Respectfully, you're comparing apples and oranges. A TBI system uses various sensors to control fuel mix. If the air is hotter, it is less dense. Similar to high altitude operation. Flipping the lid will do nothing except decrease power and increasing emissions due to no hot air preheat during warm up.

GM goes to great lengths engineering these vehicles. A carbureted 1975 vehicle has no feedback controls. If it ran better with the top housing inverted [gulping hot under hood air] suspect the carburetor fuel mix was incorrect. A common Q-jet problem.

We used to do emissions testing in this area. After repairs we needed to make sure they would pass. In order to properly do that the air cleaner needed to be on, and hood shut. It would surprise most people how much difference there was. The air cleaner alone could cause a 1% change, sometimes up and sometimes down. Rarely no change on non-feedback vehicles.

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@fast 99, I wasn't comparing TBI to carb, I should have clarified a little more. The truck ran great with both the full open element air cleaner and the factory air cleaner set up. The issue became at idle in the summer with the A/C going. It ran better with a factory air cleaner than the full open element air cleaner. Idle was a lot smoother with the OEM set up.

The '79 was a fully smogged down 350 that had to pass emissions every two years. I lived in CA at the time. One benefit to running the factory taller lid set up over the original flat one was you can run a 2" taller air filter. Most CA spec V8 trucks 81-86 had the tall lid.

@Matt Frediani I found this 89-91 Suburban for sale today. It has the taller lid with the TBI air cleaner housing. It fits under the hood with a 454. I haven't seen this snorkel set up on a TBI 454 before. It may be an auxiliary filter. I know neither my California spec 87 or 88 TBI 454's had this snorkel or tall lid.

85 Squarebody76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500
Engine Size
I have a bone stock tbi 350 in my 87 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4. It has all the california emissions equipment on it. I see lots of people flipping the top of the air cleaner upside down to allow more air to the tbi unit. Does this help? why do people do it? does it mess with the computer controlled idle or mess with the factory tune? Can someone who knows the outcome please fill me in? The truck runs fine the way it is but Im curious to know what will happen If I do this to my stock truck
We did it back in the day cause it sounded great.... didn't go any faster but sounded cool !! when you hit the gas hard

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@fast 99, I wasn't comparing TBI to carb, I should have clarified a little more. The truck ran great with both the full open element air cleaner and the factory air cleaner set up. The issue became at idle in the summer with the A/C going. It ran better with a factory air cleaner than the full open element air cleaner. Idle was a lot smoother with the OEM set up.

The '79 was a fully smogged down 350 that had to pass emissions every two years. I lived in CA at the time. One benefit to running the factory taller lid set up over the original flat one was you can run a 2" taller air filter. Most CA spec V8 trucks 81-86 had the tall lid.

@Matt Frediani I found this 89-91 Suburban for sale today. It has the taller lid with the TBI air cleaner housing. It fits under the hood with a 454. I haven't seen this snorkel set up on a TBI 454 before. It may be an auxiliary filter. I know neither my California spec 87 or 88 TBI 454's had this snorkel or tall lid.

Ok, you and I agree took it wrong. I have seen that intake arrangement before. DNK if it is for noise, water or another reason. Have seen something similar on small blocks with the cold climate option. Actually, have a complete cold climate snorkel set on the shelf.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I had a '76 Monte w/sb 400. It ran better with the fuel/air screws out about 5 turns AND air cleaner lid flipped over(more air intake)-FACT! Now, with tbi, I believe the stock set up is better because of the CAI, just makes sense...

Rebus

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a bone stock tbi 350 in my 87 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4. It has all the california emissions equipment on it. I see lots of people flipping the top of the air cleaner upside down to allow more air to the tbi unit...

Gale Banks actually dyno tested the open vs stock filter with closed hood and demonstrated the open filter had a significant HP reduction.

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I designed the engine air induction system for the GMT800 program (7 different powertrains), introduced in 1999. Most of the components are still in use today.

I can say with authority that you gain more from picking up the cool air at the front of the vehicle than by drawing hot underhood air. You more than offset any increase in restriction due to the ductwork.

I ran a dual snorkel setup same as what Craig 85 is showing, with a flat hood on my Chevelle for many, many (many) years. It was easily worth .2 sec reduction in ET, from 12 flat to 11.80's.

K

Last edited:

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
This is the car that Pontiac developed the "Ram Air" package on.

This setup was also worth about a .2 sec reduction in ET (from 12.40 to 12.20), back in 1965.

K

Last edited:

gsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
It will lower air density due to warmer air intake in the engine compartment vs. fresh air from the air cleaner ducting to the core support. Is it a big difference? No, probably not enough to notice however, efficency will be less and why goes in that direction ! Some folks believe it helps but they are letting the sound affect their reasoning...its a dead issue there is any gain to reverse the top of the air cleaner. Go to bankspower.com and learn all about air density, cooler air intake makes HP better than some modifications do. Heard of intercoolers? Turbo and Supercharged engines usually have an intercooler to cool down the intake air because the compressers heat the air which competes with the added air/fuel mix reducing the efficency/performance etc. Flow isn’t the whole story. You’ve got to have high intake density (I.D.) because, without it, you’re leaving untold power, performance, and efficiency on the table. And that means you need cold high-flow air.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84