87 Stock TBI 350 air cleaner lid flip upside down? Does it help? does it hurt? good or bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I’m betting the airflow needs on a mild small block are easily handled by the air inlet. Automakers spend millions on testing trying to find the best compromise between cost, noise, power and emissions.

Flipping the air cleaner lid more than likely does hurt power. Probably not enough that the “butt-o-meter” can tell, but probably enough it would show up on a dyno or timeslip. The noise probably makes the truck “feel” faster.

The air under the hood is much hotter than you would think, and the factory air ducting is far more beneficial than you would imagine.

It gets pretty hot and humid here in central Indiana. 95 degrees with humidity just as high isn’t uncommon. My 69 Olds has the factory W-31 style air scoops under the bumper, and has Holley Sniper EFI, with an Intake Air Temp sensor. The IAT always reads 8-12 degrees above ambient temp. I have a friend with a 68 Olds (almost exactly the same car) with a standard open element air cleaner, also with Holley sniper EFI. It’s nothing unusual for his IAT sensor to read 40-50 degrees above ambient temps.

The factory knew what they were doing when the designed the air intakes.

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Setup on my 1988 V30.
Big block.

Attachments

• 1988 V30 dually 005ab.jpg
    1988 V30 dually 005ab.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
we did that when we were kids to get a more muscle sounding engine noise...in the 70's.
It was silly then, it's silly now

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
So, from an engineering perspective...

It is FAR more important to have a source of cool air for any kind of EFI. In a carbureted engine the latent heat of vaporization cools the intake air charge down to just above freezing regardless of what the intake air temp is. In fact, it is almost preferable to have a warm enough charge to get all of the fuel to fully vaporize rather than pooling in the intake. A TBI system is forcefully vaporizing the fuel by ejecting it in a spray pattern under high pressure and therefore doesn't take as much heat out of the air charge during the phase change. Port injection is the worst for this and does almost nothing to cool the air charge. It's one of the biggest reasons that modern vehicles with port injection use rubber or plastic intake components and take the air in from outside the engine compartment.

Engine masters actually did an episode on fuel temps and on intake temps related to overall power and found the same thing.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Love watching Engine Masters. Even Steve Brulee is surprised by what he's finding out. He's been working on and with engines for decades. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I always ran mine flipped for years, or just used open element air cleaners. Now that I'm older I use it in stock form. Technically on paper it should create a little less power flipped (unless you have cowl induction then it's probably a wash), but I will still say to this day it does in fact sound a lot cooler (and that makes you think you're going faster lol). Power gain/loss is negligible either way, won't really hurt or help much either way, just sounds cooler. But I leave mine closed nowadays because technically it was designed that way and yeah cooler air makes more power whether I notice or not, and the filter lasts a little longer.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My cliff notes based on doing it starting 40 years ago.
Pros-It sounded great.
Cons-No performance gain.
No gas mileage gain.
Increased bugs and debris around the filter.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I used to own a ‘69 Torino Cobra with the 428 Cobrajet Ram Air engine. It did not have a shaker hood like the Mustang, but there was a hole under the fixed hood scoop and it sealed the hood to the top of the air cleaner. With high engine vacuum the flapper pulled closed and the engine drew air through the air cleaner snorkel, but when engine vacuum dropped it popped the flapper open and drew air through the hood scoop. The only flaw was that the flapper opened when you turned the engine off because there was no vacuum to pull it shut. Not good when snow drifted into the open hood scoop and down into the air cleaner.

When that hood scoop opened and started drawing air directly into the holley carburetor it made a “whaww” sound every hotrodder could love. Inside the car it was a more distinctive sound than from the exhaust.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Wow there is alot of knowledge in here.
Just reading while killing time at a pdr shop(paintless dent repair).

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
I designed the engine air induction system for the GMT800 program (7 different powertrains), introduced in 1999. Most of the components are still in use today.

I can say with authority that you gain more from picking up the cool air at the front of the vehicle than by drawing hot underhood air. You more than offset any increase in restriction due to the ductwork.

I ran a dual snorkel setup same as what Craig 85 is showing, with a flat hood on my Chevelle for many, many (many) years. It was easily worth .2 sec reduction in ET, from 12 flat to 11.80's.

K
You must be registered for see images attach
That looks just like my Cutlass 442 without the Hurst Nose!

Man I miss white swivel Bucket Seats and a solid white interior...
This is not the hood owned, but it is the one I wanted for my ride:

Yes, I was stupid and flipped my air cover because it sounded cool in 1990...
A very patient man taught me I was going to pool water in the soup bowl created and during heavy rains, it was possible to hit a puddle hard and flood my carburetor with water down the bolt hole and into the lower air intake cover. One big gulp and hydro lock... the end.
So I put it back... before I snorkel'd it the bad way... and replaced my inner fender well water shields using old inner tubes and zip ties.

The Chevelle SS we drove as teenagers had cowl induction and ran off vacuum from the 454 Qudra Jet. The flap opened/faced backwards, so it did not suck in water, when driving in the rain... opened at the windshield near the wipers. It only opened when you floored it... or at 80mph... Tires were comparatively cheaper back then too... the 70' SS was the ****...
There were 3-4 rock crushers laying next to the driveway all broken up...

Attachments

Last edited:

legozombie

Reaction score
First Name
A
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350 v8
@Craig 85 or anyone else reading this, what is this part called? I can't seem to find it for my K20 or the air cleaner for that matter. I've looked up variations of snorkel tub and carburetor intake hose. I also think I'm just dumb however that's a different story :D

Attachments

• 1707799808197.png
    1707799808197.png
    927.1 KB · Views: 18

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
@Craig 85 or anyone else reading this, what is this part called? I can't seem to find it for my K20 or the air cleaner for that matter. I've looked up variations of snorkel tub and carburetor intake hose. I also think I'm just dumb however that's a different story :D
Air Inlet Duct. Part No. 14024595 discontinued.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
mine is not flipped but cut. really had no choice the engine fire destroyed everything. so i modified everything. i like it. i dont worry about heat cause its not hot under that hood she has way too much air flow in the front..

Attachments

• 20231107_111228.jpg
    20231107_111228.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 20

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
mine is not flipped but cut. really had no choice the engine fire destroyed everything. so i modified everything. i like it. i dont worry about heat cause its not hot under that hood she has way too much air flow in the front..
:laughing1:So the exhaust manifolds are just for looks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL