87 Stock TBI 350 air cleaner lid flip upside down? Does it help? does it hurt? good or bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Craig 85 or anyone else reading this, what is this part called? I can't seem to find it for my K20 or the air cleaner for that matter. I've looked up variations of snorkel tub and carburetor intake hose. I also think I'm just dumb however that's a different story :D
LMC Truck carries the small block version for carbureted trucks. 38-4359 is the part number.

I have the GM part number for 454 trucks on my home computer. I had already bought this one prior to knowing that part number. I modified the SBC version with a 4” silicone tube to make it work.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
mine is not flipped but cut. really had no choice the engine fire destroyed everything. so i modified everything. i like it. i dont worry about heat cause its not hot under that hood she has way too much air flow in the front..
Was the engine fire from your fuel line and filter arrangement?

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had all the OEM air cleaner, tube, and intake tossed it Now i am looking for replacement parts not cheap, I did learn never to throw anything away on these old Square Bodys someone will pay heavily for OEM parts

I am still looking foe the complete air intake assy if you have any leads let me know E Bay pricey

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
mine is not flipped but cut. really had no choice the engine fire destroyed everything. so i modified everything. i like it. i dont worry about heat cause its not hot under that hood she has way too much air flow in the front..
its still hot.. especially if you live in the south ( I assume you do)

A THERMAC and and a snorkel are still the best ways to get cool air to the air cleaner

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I had all the OEM air cleaner, tube, and intake tossed it Now i am looking for replacement parts not cheap, I did learn never to throw anything away on these old Square Bodys someone will pay heavily for OEM parts

I am still looking foe the complete air intake assy if you have any leads let me know E Bay pricey
I have an extra snorkle tube in good shape, but it's a couple inches short to fit my '87 TBI, it may work for you??

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
That looks just like my Cutlass 442 without the Hurst Nose!

Man I miss white swivel Bucket Seats and a solid white interior...
This is not the hood owned, but it is the one I wanted for my ride:
You must be registered for see images attach

Yes, I was stupid and flipped my air cover because it sounded cool in 1990...
A very patient man taught me I was going to pool water in the soup bowl created and during heavy rains, it was possible to hit a puddle hard and flood my carburetor with water down the bolt hole and into the lower air intake cover. One big gulp and hydro lock... the end.
So I put it back... before I snorkel'd it the bad way... and replaced my inner fender well water shields using old inner tubes and zip ties.

The Chevelle SS we drove as teenagers had cowl induction and ran off vacuum from the 454 Qudra Jet. The flap opened/faced backwards, so it did not suck in water, when driving in the rain... opened at the windshield near the wipers. It only opened when you floored it... or at 80mph... Tires were comparatively cheaper back then too... the 70' SS was the ****...
There were 3-4 rock crushers laying next to the driveway all broken up...
That 442 is DAMM SEXY!! That W25 hood looks bitchen on it!

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@mtbadbob Thanks my 89 Burb tube is a front intake not the side

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
mtbadbob,
My Olds was exactly the same. Wheels, blue paint, white stripes 442 logo.
It had 300K on it, when I drove it to the bone yard with a rusted out trunk from all the beach sand.
It was near mint, when I bought it for $2600.00.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
This tube is for a core support intake. Where does the air cleaner point? I think that is why it was a little short for mine, as the air cleaner snorkel kicks off at almost a 90. Some, possibly yours, runs off at about a 45 toward the battery. The snorkel end is oval.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
89 burban uses a straight toward fender, then turn 90 toward core support air cleaner, with a duct connecting the passenger core support opening inlet to the air cleaner.

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
I have a bone stock tbi 350 in my 87 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4. It has all the california emissions equipment on it. I see lots of people flipping the top of the air cleaner upside down to allow more air to the tbi unit. Does this help? why do people do it? does it mess with the computer controlled idle or mess with the factory tune? Can someone who knows the outcome please fill me in? The truck runs fine the way it is but Im curious to know what will happen If I do this to my stock truck
Stay away from drawing in warm air from the engine bay, if you want more air, your truck should have fresh air intake ports on both sides of the radiator. My last burb i had a dual snorkel from a 78 vette and ran the stock tube on the passenger side and had to modify the drivers side to clear my A/C compressor

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
its still hot.. especially if you live in the south ( I assume you do)
nope i have a free flow air through the front. not eveer hot under the hood. engine runs cool too 165 temp in engine. i have big holes next to rad so air flows right on through.. no ac cooler in front of rad and no oil cooler so air flows right on through that too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
nope i have a free flow air through the front. not eveer hot under the hood. engine runs cool too 165 temp in engine. i have big holes next to rad so air flows right on through.. no ac cooler in front of rad and no oil cooler so air flows right on through that too.
uh... so you have an air cleaner thats just ontop of your TBI then? or dont use the duct? Youre still shooting yourself in the foot, the purpose of the duct isnt for speed driving, its when youre not moving fast. it will still get HOT in there. engine temps wouldnt be very easy to tell the difference, its all about combustion temps and air density

legozombie

Reaction score
First Name
A
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 350 v8
@Craig 85 or anyone else reading this, what is this part called? I can't seem to find it for my K20 or the air cleaner for that matter. I've looked up variations of snorkel tub and carburetor intake hose. I also think I'm just dumb however that's a different story :D
So for anyone looking for carburetor hose or carburetor air intake duct or anything in-between (hey, that sounds right, right?) I've gotten a lot of hits on this part as a carburetor pre-heater hose or duct

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
You could make one with silicone adaptors , and flex line from spectra. Summit and Jegs carry these parts .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod