Foung guy advertising cheap $550 base/clear on clist link to ad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
http://columbia.craigslist.org/aos/4074958352.html

He says base/clear. e-quote me at $950 with a bed liner for my 2 tone color truck. Ad has been running since last year and he also emailed me a couple of pictures of his work. He does insurance claims and is an actual body shop. This is the cheapest quote ive ever heard of. What do you guys think? Would you do it? This isnt a show truck but I want it nice. Was willing to pay $2500-$3000max. He can do it for less than half. What do you think?

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I would ask what kind of paint he is using to make sure its not junk stuff or spray cans. Maybe he is doing it to learn or build up his business so thats why it is cheap?

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
Thanks for reply. This ad has been up for atleast a year. If you google his phone number you can see all the ads he posts. He told me he is trying to gain business and get his name out there. Unfortunately no one has reviewed him yet. He emailed me additional pics, and he said he would use a raptor bed liner. He didnt tell me the brand of paint, he only assured me that its "high quality"

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
For $550 I might tow my **** to SC

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If He is that cheap oin the prices and has no one that is willing to give You a testament about how good His work is, I`d run from that.
Pics. He has could have been from anyones vehicle.
Maybe just go and hang out at His shop from time to time, sort of buddy up to Him and learn what He is doing and His techniques, then decide if You want Him spraying Your vehicle.
if He does good work but is using under par materials then buy Your quality brand of materials and have Him do the work.
I know that, even though I have enough equipment to paint a vehicle, and have done some repair types of paint, I do`nt have the kind of money to be just expirmenting to try and figure out this newer epoxy stuff, or, even the old fashioned enamel, it too is getting quite expensive, especially of a clear coat is applied for UV protection and oxidation.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I am thinking that, even buying cheap paint and all the materials involved, sanding disks, bondo, spot scratch filler, etc. He would have six hundred, at least, involved in materials and if it is epoxy, even the cheaper brands, would probably bring the price of materials up even higher.
I would not paint a pickup unless the box would be removed and possibly even the doors, so the sanding could be complete and the paint would adhere in even the tough to get to areas.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ask him for contact information for some of his customers. Like Marty51 said those pictures could be from anywhere and what you really want to see is how the job looks 6 months or later. I have more than that in supplies in my paint job and it's not out of the primer stage. If I was looking to paint a car I was going to sell right after I might give him a shot but not for something that is going to hang around for awhile.

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
Yes, my thoughts exactly. like i said the ad has been up for a while, and its never been flagged. Even if you search his cell, you see ads everyday dating back 2 months. Seems to good to be true, he did quote me at $850 though. plus $75 for a "Raptor" bed liner. Raptor kits are around $100??? good reviews but i dont think its commercial grade stuff. I cant find any info on A1 auto body either.

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
Email convo

To: cheap painter
Subject: PAINT ESTIMATE C10 TRUCK
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:20:19 -0700

Solid body no rust, i had a previous estimate and the paint shop found no spots that required major fabrication. Only prep and paint. Would like the original 2 tone with a base/clear. Not show quality but nice cruise in style and a spray in bed-liner. Here are pics (sent some of my truck). Look forward to working with you thanks.

*HIS RESPONSE*

$850 to prep and paint with base/clear the original colors (two tone). I will spray the bed with a Raptor liner kit for $75 if we paint the truck. I usually charge $275 for a liner.

The job should take about 4 days and I am confident that you will be pleased with the result. These are great old trucks and I enjoy bringing one back to its original look or better.

Thomas Robertson

A1 Auto Paint and Body
Cell 803-718-1919

87LB

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
you get what you pay for. Expect a sand and spray. For most this is just fine. but for those who want more factory or even show quality they will be pissed off.

Ask him who his paint supplier is. If it is good paint, may not be a bad deal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looking at the pics of your truck, that looks to be some oxidized paint. There are some things you can do to that original paint and bring the shine back out in it. You might consider doing that first before you consider a cheap paint job.

Also keep in mind, Patina paint jobs are in style these days. As in, make what you have the best it can be, then clear over it to seal it and it get's no worse. Kinda puts the age of the vehicle on hold and protects the condition of what it is in right now. I've seen some real good. Again, I think you can work that one over and make it look good. Lots of elbow grease and some good products will make that paint look good again. I'd love to have a chance at that one and I don't think I'd be getting it painted. It looks pretty good as is other than the faded paint. One product that comes to mind that I'd try is ClayBar and Detailer spray. You might also try some CLR in a hidden place and see what results you get.

Keep in mind, you get a ****** paint job, it'll cost you another $550 to get the ****** paint job removed in some cases. I've seen these cheap paint jobs look good for a year, maybe 2 if they were well cared for and then go to crap and start cracking. For sure do no enamel.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
local guys here do $600 for prep and paint NOT including the paint, and it's pretty high IMO, but they do nice work I've seen several they've done.

Paint aint that expensive I can get like a gallon of base, gallon of clear, reducer and hardner etc for like $250 in other colors as well, and it's good stuff I've used it before.

Summits paint stuff runs about the same price too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those types of cheap jobs are usually just to make something look decent for a couple years. My crew cab is a perfect example, the PO had recently had it painted, IIRC the lady said it cost over 1K (I'm guessing she thought that was high) to have the job done. It had decent gloss, but the paint was thin in spots and the masking job was sloppy. It's been several years now and it's lost a bit of gloss all over and the paint is now very thin in spots. It's to the point already that I really want to paint the thing. And the truck has been covered most of the time too, and only driven in nice weather.

harrisso1

Reaction score
First Name
dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 5.7
Looking at the pics of your truck, that looks to be some oxidized paint. There are some things you can do to that original paint and bring the shine back out in it. You might consider doing that first before you consider a cheap paint job.

Also keep in mind, Patina paint jobs are in style these days. As in, make what you have the best it can be, then clear over it to seal it and it get's no worse. Kinda puts the age of the vehicle on hold and protects the condition of what it is in right now. I've seen some real good. Again, I think you can work that one over and make it look good. Lots of elbow grease and some good products will make that paint look good again. I'd love to have a chance at that one and I don't think I'd be getting it painted. It looks pretty good as is other than the faded paint. One product that comes to mind that I'd try is ClayBar and Detailer spray. You might also try some CLR in a hidden place and see what results you get.

Keep in mind, you get a ****** paint job, it'll cost you another $550 to get the ****** paint job removed in some cases. I've seen these cheap paint jobs look good for a year, maybe 2 if they were well cared for and then go to crap and start cracking. For sure do no enamel.

I WILL TRY THAT, STILL WANT TO GET IT PAINTED. i DO LIKE THE PATINA STYLE JUST THAT IT WONT GO TO WELL WITH MY BLACK SCOOP HOOD. I noticed that the paint was glossy under where the emblems were, so I kinda figured it still had a little life. Ive already changed my mind about the paint job. The next cheapest quote i recieved was $1200 for labor +paintcost.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Since you have White over the cab and across the bottom, you could always rattle can paint the scoop White too and it would go well with the color scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruggedly