Need advice on what to do with old bed liner and while we are at it sealing up these scratches.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Drivers side, cut and installed

You must be registered for see images attach

I nearly pulled the spare and went underneath it, thinking that I wanted to cover the entire bed, but then realized I'd need to pull the tire anytime I wanted to pull the mat out.

More in the next post

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Back to the farm after work I snapped these pictures in the shade.

At the bulkhead:

Passenger side wheel well fitment, pretty good, it came on a roll so hopefully after a day in the sun tomorrow it'll lay total flat.

Driver side wheel well fitment, not bad. I think I did a little better on the passenger side.

Full bed. Looks pretty darn good I think. I lapped it about 2" long than the bed and plan to leave it like that for now anyway.

So the only thing left is the seem down the center. currently there is about 1 1/2" overlap. What do you think should I cut it and butt it up and tape it from the backside? Should I leave it overlapped and adhere it together with something? Should I just leave it as is? My only concern with leaving it long term as is, is that the wind likes to flap the center last 1/4 or so a little bit at high speeds (I took a little video), and my concern is it might get beat up over time from that.

So I'm open to a good idea on the center. Other than that I'm really happy with it. Took about 30 minutes from unroll to done, and @SquareRoot it was a one whiskey and coke job. @DoubleDingo Now it looks much better and I think it'll be very functional. I'm not sure if I will be able to slide barrels on it without it bunching, but maybe? If not I'll use @Grit dog idea and just slap a single sheet of plywood in for the feed run. @scrap--metal Not all that out of the box, it's just a patch job on the spray in bedliner, and cover up with mat. However I have a little custom cutting work and a total of $63 into the entire job something I think all or at least most of us can appreciate.

I guess after I figure out the center seem, and do the front brakes I need to do something with the tailgate.....

Attachments

• 20230808_185719.jpg
    20230808_185719.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 30

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
You could always use a couple handfuls of Rock Auto magnets glued on the bottom of the mat to hold it in while in motion.

It looks heavier than it must be.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
I'm not sure if I will be able to slide barrels on it without it bunching, but maybe?

It looks great Rob. IMO, I think butting the edges and taping them from underneath would give you a better chance of sliding barrels on top. The raised overlap might catch. On the other hand, once you cut it you can't put it back. Maybe try it out first?

Please let me know how it works. If you're able to slide loaded barrels, I'm guessing an aluminum Jon boat would also slide in and out. I'd like to do something similar in my k20 if it works.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You could always use a couple handfuls of Rock Auto magnets glued on the bottom of the mat to hold it in while in motion.

It looks heavier than it must be.
IDK on the weight, the roll was not light. It just catches the center seem which does not lay totally flat, and "flaps it around" maybe an over statement, more like it just moves the loose edge a little. After it gets in the sun today if it lays flatter that maybe all that is needed. I don't typically buy from Rock Auto after I return disappeared in the mail about 15 years ago and I lost $500, but still I'd like to look at the magnets you wouldn't happen to have a part number? Thanks.

SRO

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I'd say let it meld for a day or two and if it still lifts and you suspect it'll come out, then tape it from underneath. It looks good and will definitely protect the bed. Drums may not slide but can be tilted and rolled.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It looks great Rob. IMO, I think butting the edges and taping them from underneath would give you a better chance of sliding barrels on top. The raised overlap might catch. On the other hand, once you cut it you can't put it back. Maybe try it out first?

Please let me know how it works. If you're able to slide loaded barrels, I'm guessing an aluminum Jon boat would also slide in and out. I'd like to do something similar in my k20 if it works.
The seam runs length wise, so unless something was slide from right to left, I don't think it'll catch. I was about to cut it, when I thought why not leave it and see how it goes vs cutting it right away. So I guess I'll just see what happens.

I will keep ya'll up to date on how it goes. The one thing I will say though is that it is I don't want to call it grippy, but it isn't slippery either. I remember the stuff in my trailer from way back when being on the slippery side but maybe that stuff was worn into it. I've got a little extra if you want I'd be happy to cut you a small bit and mail it to you for a sample if you want.

SRO

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'd say let it meld for a day or two and if it still lifts and you suspect it'll come out, then tape it from underneath. It looks good and will definitely protect the bed. Drums may not slide but can be tilted and rolled.
That's exactly my thoughts and on the drums. I think the next time I have to haul them I'll leave the mat in as is and see how it goes.

SRO

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well this is the couple week update. First main observation, this rubber-cal is much more anti-slip than the stuff I had in the trailer years and years ago. One possibility is that stuff may have been much more worn, or the rubber compounds are different. Regardless overall and for $45 I like it. Would I prefer a drop in plastic unit, yea I sure would, but this will work for now at least.

I have hauled two rounds of feel barrels on the rubber-cal and it did not cause any problems.

I have left the center overlapped and it's not been an issue.

Here's what it's looking like now:

Center seam:

I've put a couple little scuffs in it though. It still looks good, we'll see how it holds up over time now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL