Help me out on TBI to EFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
One slightly different method if you know the exact parts number. I have found it useful to google search for the parts number and see if you get a hit from a local parts store (Autozone, NAPA, etc.). Then print out the page and bring it in to have them find the part. In many cases the web site even has a search option to see which store actually has it in stock.
I have stood in front of the parts counter at my local O'Reilly's showing the employee my phone with the information from THAT store a bunch of times since I bought this 1987. They have almost always been appreciative and helpful, but I am polite and not condescending when I do it.

Back on topic, I drive my '87 TBI anywhere and everywhere just like I would have if it were still 1987. I have been able to buy and replace pretty much anything I wanted to, it may take a day for a part to get here but parts have always been available. I like the TBI but I can understand if the OP wants something different. I am pretty much locked in with the TBI, I actually WANTED the TBI and was fortunate enough to find a truck that still had it.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
sounds like a wiring issue with the fuel tanks. or maybe a bad switch.

if the check engine light was thrown, you can pull codes to diagnose. anything is just a guess without that info.

the "computer" will likely never wear out. sensors wear out and are readily replaced. wiring can get modified by POs hacking, eaten by mice, and can rub and wear through the coating causing shorts. that is harder to track down usually...
A few months after dailying my '87 'burb I started having real driveability issues. Chased it all over, turns out it was the ECU was toast.

I got the computer for free from a friend, but they're cheap at a junkyard and basically any TBI computer will work. The one I'm running is from a 305 truck whereas I have a 350. The other 5 or so electrical components are pretty cheap and easy to change too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
A few months after dailying my '87 'burb I started having real driveability issues. Chased it all over, turns out it was the ECU was toast.

I got the computer for free from a friend, but they're cheap at a junkyard and basically any TBI computer will work. The one I'm running is from a 305 truck whereas I have a 350. The other 5 or so electrical components are pretty cheap and easy to change too.
up to 1988 and 1990 lesser so, but still notable, GM computers were high failure rate. The 1989 computers were loads more reliable and 1991 even more so

Jackalope74

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Factory TBI is EFI and super reliable, I know this is an old thread but I find it weird when folks don't realize TBI is 100% a EFI system? Most that have issues are 30 years old and 300k miles and then complain how it isn't reliable? Factory TBI is more reliable then any after market system plus you can get all the replacement parts just about everywhere. Either way I would spend my time rebuilding the current EFI system you have and fixing any issues long before I put another TBI aftermarket EFI on like a sniper or others.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Factory TBI is EFI and super reliable, I know this is an old thread but I find it weird when folks don't realize TBI is 100% a EFI system? Most that have issues are 30 years old and 300k miles and then complain how it isn't reliable? Factory TBI is more reliable then any after market system plus you can get all the replacement parts just about everywhere. Either way I would spend my time rebuilding the current EFI system you have and fixing any issues long before I put another TBI aftermarket EFI on like a sniper or others.
Technically I agree that TBI is EFI. However, the advantages of direct injection and a dry manifold over the TBI is worth the cost. There's a reason GM dropped TBI 25 years ago. I've had carb, TBI (Sniper) and Direct injection. I've always been 100% satisfied with Edelbrock Pro Flo. Carry on

Jackalope74

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Yep 100% efi. No vacuum(venturi) fuel feed system with TBI. It is a pressurized fuel system with injectors. The only similarity to a carb is that the throttle body is vertical like a carb and uses a similar air cleaner.

I agree there are obvious benefits to port injection systems from a performance, looks and emissions standpoint, Not convinced there is an advantage from a daily drivability or economy standpoint for the port fuel injection though over TBI.

Just clarifying, haven't seen to any folks convert a small block or big block to a direct injection system yet as it would take fancy heads, But I assume you meant port fuel injection instead of direct injection.

Either way in my original reply as stated I was talking strickly about TBI systems like factory and the Holley sniper.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shock loaded