Fool me once…..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hindsight is a b with expectations vs results. Knowing the shop was new, it may have been a good idea to take some pics of what you expected the finished product to look like. I know you said you wanted it to look clean, but it sounds (and looks) like a misunderstanding.
Perhaps, but he didn't even use the right technique. Specified TIG multiple times. And he MIG'd it. Honestly, I don't know how you even let something like that out of your shop. If it were mine I'd be embarrassed as hell and not let it go to the customer.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
What makes you think I didn't?
I dunno...maybe this line right here from your opening post?

"It looks so bad I honestly feel sorry for the guy. I wanted to tell him not to throw away those calculus and material design books just yet."

You posted pics and complained but you didn't share any positive interactions with the owner. Are you planning to share that?

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That is pretty... Why didn't you use the same shop this time?
Other shop's biz has grown (surprise, huge demand for quality craftsmanship, lol) and I wanted it done sooner than a month out. Again, I know the "new" guy, and had no idea it would turn out this way. ....like the post title says, right?

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I dunno...maybe this line right here from your opening post?

"It looks so bad I honestly feel sorry for the guy. I wanted to tell him not to throw away those calculus and material design books just yet."

You posted pics and complained but you didn't share any positive interactions with the owner. Are you planning to share that?
You wanna see the text exchanges and hear the call audio where I shared how I felt about the work? Gimme a break.

Other than getting the job done quickly, if you could call it that, there wasn't any positive interactions. Owner said he would take it back and clean up. I decided to fix it myself. Happy now?

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You wanna see the text exchanges and hear the call audio where I shared how I felt about the work? Gimme a break.

Other than getting the job done quickly, if you could call it that, there wasn't any positive interactions. Owner said he would take it back and clean up. I decided to fix it myself. Happy now?
You posted this on the internet. You gave one side of the story and only part of it. If you didn't want to share it, why did you post it at all?

Honestly, it was never my intention to cause any irritation. You said you wanted to help the guy out. Sorry you are so irritated, sorry this evil person did this to such a nice, friendly and charming person.

Have a Happy New Year.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Not to toot my own horn but since no one else does it's up to me. Here's some pics of a few of my TIG welds from a few years ago while I was still a working stiff!! First one is carbon to carbon, next two are stainless to stainless. The guy that did those welds on that differential would never have even passed a test in my old shop!!!

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You posted this on the internet. You gave one side of the story and only part of it. If you didn't want to share it, why did you post it at all?

Honestly, it was never my intention to cause any irritation. You said you wanted to help the guy out. Sorry you are so irritated, sorry this evil person did this to such a nice, friendly and charming person.

Have a Happy New Year.
Sorry, I didn't think any of that was relevant. Now if I had called the guy out by name and address, that's a different story.

I'm sorry you want all the juicy details. In fact there aren't any, so sorry to disappoint you.

I'm expecting to have a great New Year, thanks for the well wishes. My axle housings are all cleaned up and I'm moving on to the next project.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Other shop's biz has grown (surprise, huge demand for quality craftsmanship, lol) and I wanted it done sooner than a month out. Again, I know the "new" guy, and had no idea it would turn out this way. ....like the post title says, right?
Well… I’d like to quote the meme that says “Fast-cheap-quality choose only two:
If fast and cheap don’t expect quality.
If cheap and quality don’t expect fast.
If quality and fast don’t expect cheap”

I never get to blame anyone else for poor workmanship because I do most everything
myself. Instead I beat myself up and loose sleep over my mistakes. Choosing the wrong shop gets to be your mistake.

Good on you for giving the new guy a chance but that’s the risk you took. Since it’s not structural and the grinding didn’t cost you too much. Hit it with some paint and move on.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Not to toot my own horn but since no one else does it's up to me. Here's some pics of a few of my TIG welds from a few years ago while I was still a working stiff!! First one is carbon to carbon, next two are stainless to stainless. The guy that did those welds on that differential would never have even passed a test in my old shop!!!
Very nice work! That looks like the stuff our pipe fitters/welders do at work. In a shop full of morons, the welders are the only real pros we have. That's why the two other smart machinists and I just hang out with the welders all day, I can't remember last time I ate lunch with the other machinists or hung out with any of them outside work. Hah, that's probably why my welding hasn't gotten any better, if I am fabricating something I have friends who will produce artwork like this for me so there's no need for my ugly booger welds, and in exchange I machine stuff for them whenever they're making something that they would've probably tried to do with a dremel tool and a hack saw

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don’t understand why the OP is getting uptight. I guess the real lesson here is that if you don’t want opinions / feedback then say so up front or don’t post it on the internet.
I guess it's probably my writing style. But honestly, I'm not uptight, upset, resentful, disappointed, or whatever adjective people want to throw related to the opinions on this thread. The only thing I was disappointed in was the quality of work, period. I have been around long enough to know that whatever goes on a public forum is open game for any and all comments. But that also allows me the freedom to engage and push back where I choose. The dialogue of forums is what makes them great.

This forum is great. It's great to be back after a couple years away. I truly appreciate all the information and knowledgeable members.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I guess it's probably my writing style. But honestly, I'm not uptight, upset, resentful, disappointed, or whatever adjective people want to throw related to the opinions on this thread. The only thing I was disappointed in was the quality of work, period. I have been around long enough to know that whatever goes on a public forum is open game for any and all comments. But that also allows me the freedom to engage and push back where I choose. The dialogue of forums is what makes them great.

This forum is great. It's great to be back after a couple years away. I truly appreciate all the information and knowledgeable members.
One problem with posting on a forum is that the person reading what you type cannot see your facial expression and cannot hear your tone of voice. Something typed can carry a meaning completely different from what the poster meant to say.

For my part I did not want "the juicy details", I was hoping (and I think others were as well) to read a Happy Ending. I think we all wanted something along the lines of, "I showed the guy some pics of what I really wanted and he had no idea his work was substandard".

I ask that if anything I typed was unpleasant to read...and I am sure that some of it was, can we start over and consider it a miscommunication? I am sorry for my sarcasm in my last post. I should have reached out via PM and tried to smooth it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg