Flex plate help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

That's what I had to work with

Finally got it

Extractor socket got the last one that was starting to round.

Pain in the A$$

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You got it! Bet you feel better now?

My buddy started to round one of mine the other day with an impact on a swivel. But I got it just by taking off the swivel and pushing hard on the gun to keep the socket seated. I was so relieved, I thought for sure I was in for a nightmare!

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
You got it! Bet you feel better now?

No... I do not feel better. Turns out parts store in fact did give the right flex plate. One for a th350. Which was bigger than mine, also the bolt pattern did not match up. I have one for a 700r4.

Which what would cause this rubbing issue?

^^^ is what I saw when I took it off the crank. Would it be because it's not for a th350? Or is it possible that someone hit the torque converter bolts with in impact on 1 bolt and ratcheting the other 2 creating it to wobble in and slightly deform? Because I noticed on one of the holes for TC bolts one was seated deeply in.
Or do I have an alignment issue somewhere else in my motor?

This could possibly be a clue

my starter has to be engaging too deep causing the teeth to erode away and become very sharp and actually making some teeth disappear.

I am at a complete loss. So the guy at the counter set me up with another one for the 700r4 and some shims for the starter and wished me good luck.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Im not aware of a difference in flex plates in relation to transmissions. My flex plate has seen a th350, 700r4,th400 and a th400 with a diesel torque converter. Never had a problem.

If my memory serves me correct I think that is fairly common to see on the flex plates. I believe it is caused from the torque converter moving in and out due to centrifugal force and pressure loading.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You could always try a reinforced type sold at performance shops.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
With a new flex plate you may not need the starter shims

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That's weird - at the distance from the centerline of the crank (where the marks are), there's like a 1/2" - 3/4" gap between the engine side of the flex and...anything:

Is there a corresponding shiny spot anywhere on the backside of the engine - that would indicate contact with the flex? Was there any debris in the bottom of the flexplate cover?

One of your flex to torque converter bolt holes is definitely wallowed out:

But I can't see how that would allow the flex to impact the block.

IDK what's going on there - but I'd for sure do some investigating before installing a new flex.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No... I do not feel better. Turns out parts store in fact did give the right flex plate. One for a th350. Which was bigger than mine, also the bolt pattern did not match up. I have one for a 700r4.

Which what would cause this rubbing issue?

^^^ is what I saw when I took it off the crank. Would it be because it's not for a th350? Or is it possible that someone hit the torque converter bolts with in impact on 1 bolt and ratcheting the other 2 creating it to wobble in and slightly deform? Because I noticed on one of the holes for TC bolts one was seated deeply in.
Or do I have an alignment issue somewhere else in my motor?

This could possibly be a clue

my starter has to be engaging too deep causing the teeth to erode away and become very sharp and actually making some teeth disappear.

I am at a complete loss. So the guy at the counter set me up with another one for the 700r4 and some shims for the starter and wished me good luck.

Do you have a picture of the back of your engine block with the flex plate removed?

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
This is what I could snap at the moment. Ground is wet and didn't feel like changing to crawl under the truck. It's overcast today and I feel stumped with this and afraid with this mindset I'll damage something.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Is there a corresponding shiny spot anywhere on the backside of the engine - that would indicate contact with the flex? Was there any debris in the bottom of the flexplate cover?

I couldn't see anything that was obvious. No debris came down but dirt and sludge. Well if there was something internally wrong with the motor causing this wouldn't I see/hear/feel it else where like when it was running?

I talked with my dad and he pointed out this trans swap was years ago probably around 20yrs... Why would it just now eat the teeth away he asked me and that makes sense. Maybe the torque converter is going out??

I fear I might have to go with my last resort and buying a short block or long block from Jegs or something...

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
A starter going out or needing shims would do the same.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I couldn't see anything that was obvious. No debris came down but dirt and sludge.

See my final guess.

Well if there was something internally wrong with the motor causing this wouldn't I see/hear/feel it else where like when it was running?

There's nothing wrong with the motor (that would cause this). Really, if the runout of the crankshaft was so bad that it could make the face of the flex hit anything - the motor wouldn't run. To say the least.

I talked with my dad and he pointed out this trans swap was years ago probably around 20yrs... Why would it just now eat the teeth away he asked me and that makes sense.

See my guess.

Maybe the torque converter is going out?

No - when a torque converter is failing the signs are basically slippage/shuddering as the transmission shifts. A bad converter doesn't (can't) make the flex plate rub against the back of the engine block. The t/c is hard coupled to the flex and the flex drives the t/c. There is no feedback in the other direction - i.e. from the transmission to the t/c,flex & crank.

Here is what I think is going on:

The flexplate was scratched, and the teeth on the ring gear were broken - ever since the transmission was changed 20 years ago and they've been that way ever since.

I say this because, there is no evidence that the flex has been hitting anything and there were no broken off bits of ring gear teeth in the flexplate cover.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Jerry's probably right. I don't see any shiny spots on your block.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Well after 6hours of fighting I finally got it. I didn't have my 1/2in impact but my 3/8s got three of the bolts free. And I was wrong again the bolts were 14mm. And I actually started to round one and the last one was rounded. What did this? Stupid 12 pt socket instead of 6 (slapped forehead). I got my extractor on it with a breaker bar and a socket over the extractor it finally gave way.

But wait....there's more....

Parts store gave me the wrong flex plate!! Oh well I'll try it again tomorrow. I'll post pics when I load them to the app.

On the bright side, if you were outside, the truck was providing shade.:)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350

Here is what I think is going on:

The flexplate was scratched, and the teeth on the ring gear were broken - ever since the transmission was changed 20 years ago and they've been that way ever since.

I say this because, there is no evidence that the flex has been hitting anything and there were no broken off bits of ring gear teeth in the flexplate cover.

Yep yep. I agree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06