Feels like front suspension 'bottoms out' over speed bumps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've driven this thing around little enough to know the steering is very sloppy, but I'll adjust steering box and report back.

Going over speed bump in parking lot felt like front end went up and bottoms out when coming down. I'm assuming this is a shock issue? Truck is an '84 K20 with a 3" body lift and had sat for 6/7 years.

-TIA
Dan

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
You should be able to see up in there and see how much clearance you have statically (just sitting).

You should also be able to look at the jounce bumpers and spring plates to see if there are witness marks that they have been hitting. If you are unsure you could also mark them up with chalk or shoe polish so that it will leave a fresh witness.

K

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bounce it by hand, should only bounce once after release. Are shocks leaking?
I weight 180 and it doesn’t move much at all when I push down on it, but it does a little and no bouncing. I’ve never seen any leaking, but only drove it a couple of times and shocks are pretty rusty on outside.
You should be able to see up in there and see how much clearance you have statically (just sitting).

You should also be able to look at the jounce bumpers and spring plates to see if there are witness marks that they have been hitting. If you are unsure you could also mark them up with chalk or shoe polish so that it will leave a fresh witness.

K
If I’m not mistaken, there are two different bumpers- one at leaf plate and the other right there behind shock. The ones near shocks left marks on leafs.

Attachments

• F133A40A-5FFE-42B8-926D-576D27262868.jpeg
    F133A40A-5FFE-42B8-926D-576D27262868.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 2EC53A69-80A7-4224-8B80-5D3D57D9FE28.jpeg
    2EC53A69-80A7-4224-8B80-5D3D57D9FE28.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 88

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You should absolutely NOT have a block like that under your front springs. That is okay for the rear but not for the front.

Looks like the bushings are gone for your sway bar.

RaisedK5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
And those shocks are probably maxed out on length. Front blocks are a bozo-no-no, And are probably half the problem with your steering

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You should absolutely NOT have a block like that under your front springs. That is okay for the rear but not for the front.

Looks like the bushings are gone for your sway bar.
Ok, so remove the blocks. What is normally used for body lift up front? like cab mounts/ bushings & look for a bushing kit.
And those shocks are probably maxed out on length. Front blocks are a bozo-no-no, And are probably half the problem with your steering
Maybe the missing missing swaybar bushing is more the cause of the sloppy steering than the steering box?

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ok, so remove the blocks. What is normally used for body lift up front? like cab mounts/ bushings & look for a bushing kit.

Maybe the missing missing swaybar bushing is more the cause of the sloppy steering than the steering box?
1. New springs from the supplier of your choice. I went with Skyjacker SoftRide springs with a 2.5 inch lift. Measure your block thickness, decide if that is the amount of lift you want and get new springs. Order the bolts, U-bolts and correct bushings also. In my case, the Skyjacker used a different size bushing than the OE springs and factory bushings wouldn't fit.

2. Nope. If those bushings are gone, you probably have a lot of wear on other parts. Get someone to sit in the truck and move the steering wheel side to side while you crawl around looking at every steering component. A very tiny amount of visible movement translates to a lot of slack at the wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check the ball joints as well. Check everything, that spacer is scarry.
Probably needs a complete rebuild.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I weight 180 and it doesn’t move much at all when I push down on it, but it does a little and no bouncing. I’ve never seen any leaking, but only drove it a couple of times and shocks are pretty rusty on outside.

If I’m not mistaken, there are two different bumpers- one at leaf plate and the other right there behind shock. The ones near shocks left marks on leafs.
Is that a picture of the truck on the ground with tires on? If so those shocks are pegged out just like that.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ll start shopping for front springs, thanks guys.

I glanced over it all and didn’t find anything else missing/ torn, except this., although there is no play at all.

Attachments

• EAC729ED-8ADE-4088-98C3-D17A0F3806A1.jpeg
    EAC729ED-8ADE-4088-98C3-D17A0F3806A1.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 42

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I’ll start shopping for front springs, thanks guys.

I glanced over it all and didn’t find anything else missing/ torn, except this., although there is no play at all.
Dan, I surely don't want to discourage you but that truck needs a lot of money and effort to get back in decent driving condition. Please remember I am trying to help you here, I promise you I am NOT criticizing you, your truck or your situation.

The blocks under the front springs are a definite NoNo. Seeing that and the incorrect U-Bolts from your previous thread on the rear tells me that someone did some sketchy things with that truck.

The pic with the torn rubber boot on that steering joint also tells me a lot. That steering arm needs to be roughly parallel with the springs. You see the extreme down angle from the solid arm coming from the steering box? That makes your steering difficult and wonky right there. Most lift companies sell a "drop" arm just for that. Really, any front lift over 2 inches needs that drop arm.

Your front shocks are not helping you at all. They look to be almost fully extended right now, although I could be wrong. A set of shocks from any of the lift/suspension companies built specifically for the lift height you have will make a huge difference in ride quality and safety.

I have been in the situation of not having enough money and time to do the work my vehicle needed. I can absolutely see that someone who owned that truck was in that situation. I hope you keep working on it a little bit at a time until you get it like you want it and like it needs to be.

Honestly, my own truck would be a lot nicer if I had enough money to do it completely right. I have to make improvements a little at a time. I probably won't ever get mine perfect.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Great advice from everyone. I just have to add, I've never seen a spring pack with just two leafs. Maybe an attempt to soften the ride, leafs were removed causing the suspension to bottom out much easier.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dan, I surely don't want to discourage you but that truck needs a lot of money and effort to get back in decent driving condition. Please remember I am trying to help you here, I promise you I am NOT criticizing you, your truck or your situation.

The blocks under the front springs are a definite NoNo. Seeing that and the incorrect U-Bolts from your previous thread on the rear tells me that someone did some sketchy things with that truck.

The pic with the torn rubber boot on that steering joint also tells me a lot. That steering arm needs to be roughly parallel with the springs. You see the extreme down angle from the solid arm coming from the steering box? That makes your steering difficult and wonky right there. Most lift companies sell a "drop" arm just for that. Really, any front lift over 2 inches needs that drop arm.

Your front shocks are not helping you at all. They look to be almost fully extended right now, although I could be wrong. A set of shocks from any of the lift/suspension companies built specifically for the lift height you have will make a huge difference in ride quality and safety.

I have been in the situation of not having enough money and time to do the work my vehicle needed. I can absolutely see that someone who owned that truck was in that situation. I hope you keep working on it a little bit at a time until you get it like you want it and like it needs to be.

Honestly, my own truck would be a lot nicer if I had enough money to do it completely right. I have to make improvements a little at a time. I probably won't ever get mine perfect.
Hey, Redfish, you are completely right! lol This thing is in a bad way; worse than I thought before, but luckily I'm not in a hurry. I'm down here for work until the end of the year, so it gives me something to do on the weekends. I was wanting to install the new tank, sending unit, and front suspension rebuild this weekend, BUT in BIG OLE' HOUSTON, TEXAS, I can't even buy the drop pitman arm anywhere. lol Can't get it in until next week, so it shall continue to sit.
Great advice from everyone. I just have to add, I've never seen a spring pack with just two leafs. Maybe an attempt to soften the ride, leafs were removed causing the suspension to bottom out much easier.
Yes! So, this must be the reason for the bottoming out. That makes sense. I will be removing the blocks and switching to 3" lifted springs, so I guess that will take care of that. Thank you!

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I've driven this thing around little enough to know the steering is very sloppy, but I'll adjust steering box and report back.

Going over speed bump in parking lot felt like front end went up and bottoms out when coming down. I'm assuming this is a shock issue? Truck is an '84 K20 with a 3" body lift and had sat for 6/7 years.

-TIA
Dan
@Redfish gave you some solid advice there

One small thing... Correct terminology goes a long way when asking for help or shopping for parts

Body lift = spacers between the body and the frame
Suspension lift = increasing the distance between the frame and axles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD