Educate me on 1979 air cleaner assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
ive never used one, but i own one, You usually have an inductive lead that clips to the #1 cylinder and you point it at the timing while running the engine with the proper instructions followed from the VECI label(if you are trying to get base timing as the factory intended. a TBI would have more steps than a 1973 carb truck , but i bet ESC or emissioned to no end truck may have more steps than the 1973 even if it had a carb still. I think most of them will say to cap off the vac advance.. maybe.. hmm.. then anyway, assuming your balancer hasnt shifted or is just in good shape then thats the magic part with the light shining and such things.

id always figure out i will figure it out when I get there. beside my old LTD I had nothing for a long time that you could even set timing let alone use a light to check. and of course timing chain and tenssion and if they were serviced hopefully put back together in proper sync lol.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
wow Taylor, it really sounds like you got your work cut out for you. And don't worry about the "novel", i love to hear about other Squares and their story/progress. I appreciate you sticking to this truck and doing all of this compared to getting a new one. Very admirable, especially being at a younger age (knowledge level is impressive). You're gonna have to come give me a timing lesson too. I'm in dire need of one and can't figure out how to use the light. My dad's knows and he's to help me with a few things before the Jimmy goes to body work, but he's a busy man.
I mean, I would like to get another square or fix my 78 but Id really like to have a C20 or C25. I also like GMC logo more than chevy so I would have to say prefer to find a GMC lol. But Its not hard to in all meaningful ways change it either.

I would prob want a manual truck but I could settle for auto. Id really like a 3/4 ton 2wd just to do my normal truck duties and not be an f150 LOL but I really should be using a 3/4 ton for my truck stuffs. Gas would still hurt but hey its a square. Smiles a gallon. I would want to have that as separate of my square because 1) it was gpas and gma wouldnt want to see too many changes.. like its the only thing keeping me from gloss black the entire thing just to to one color (If I was to put the time in, two tone is nice and I would like to keeep it.. but maybe in the future go back?) but eh. Plus, just to not have to catch up so many god dang things. Plus mine has rust problems LOL
And if I had a square, I have a entire graveyard of parts and I have many I dont even know are square parts yet.
You must be registered for see images attach

a quick show of what my floor is like

took me 2 minutes to kick that board on a brick to make it the right shape size.

Also here is my to-be-rad next to one similar to one in square

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

For size comparison this is the rad I speak of in my cars trunk. No idea what it is out of, its a lot taller than mine and also a bit wider. Thicker too. 3 core tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406