dropped and new shoes installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
Looks good! Post up some more pics! :cheers:

mbl530

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350 ci 375 hp
Thanks smoothhand, I like the idea if drilling and then filling in with weld. I spent the last two days dropping my rear end so I could get it cleaned up and ready for paint. I know one thing, bolts that haven't been off in 40 years takes a lot of penetrating fluid, heat, and a lot of ass with a breaker bar. My impact gun wouldn't even touch the bolts. I also got the leaf springs out, and will be hanging the new dropped leafs from Eaton Detroit. Then onto the axle flip and C notch.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Looks good! Post up some more pics! :cheers:

Thanks...I will be sure to post more progress pics soon. I was working all weekend installing my long tube headers, and removing the air pump in the process. The headers installed rather easily, but most of the time was spent welding the adapters to my existing mid pipes and lining everything up. I already had a muffler shop re-work the dual exhaust (exits in front of the rear tires on both sides) last month. The headers were an after thought due to doing researching what would fit, pros and cons, and of course time to install them. The headers really wake up the motor and the exhaust sounds great when on the gas.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thanks smoothhand, I like the idea if drilling and then filling in with weld. I spent the last two days dropping my rear end so I could get it cleaned up and ready for paint. I know one thing, bolts that haven't been off in 40 years takes a lot of penetrating fluid, heat, and a lot of ass with a breaker bar. My impact gun wouldn't even touch the bolts. I also got the leaf springs out, and will be hanging the new dropped leafs from Eaton Detroit. Then onto the axle flip and C notch.

Pics...definately pics please. I keep a butane torch handy for stubborn bolts. I also own a bit of stock in penetrating oil. Working on old cars and trucks over the years has taught me a BFH comes in handy too.:)

mbl530

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350 ci 375 hp
Headers are the only way to go, sweet sound. I am leaning towards the shortys that Sanderson has. Yeah I have a BFH also, and lots of pb blaster. I have to go to VA tomorrow, I'm a Vietnam and Desert Storm vet, so I get a Va check every month(tax free). Anyways if they up my disabilaties, hopefully I get a little extra cash that I can put towards my truck. Today I drilled holes and set my fuel cell. I think I will tke it out and paint it. I had a guy tell me that aluminum will still corrode. I also wire wheeled my rear end and painted it with the 1st coat of rust preventer. It will get another coat then a black coat. This stuff Rust Bullet looks just like powder coat after the three coats. Nice Stuff. When I finally get my new phone so I can take pictures, you guys will probably have to help me out posting them.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Headers are the only way to go, sweet sound. I am leaning towards the shortys that Sanderson has. Yeah I have a BFH also, and lots of pb blaster. I have to go to VA tomorrow, I'm a Vietnam and Desert Storm vet, so I get a Va check every month(tax free). Anyways if they up my disabilaties, hopefully I get a little extra cash that I can put towards my truck. Today I drilled holes and set my fuel cell. I think I will tke it out and paint it. I had a guy tell me that aluminum will still corrode. I also wire wheeled my rear end and painted it with the 1st coat of rust preventer. It will get another coat then a black coat. This stuff Rust Bullet looks just like powder coat after the three coats. Nice Stuff. When I finally get my new phone so I can take pictures, you guys will probably have to help me out posting them.

I concur that headers are the only way to go, but I opted not to go,with the shorty version. Clearance wise, I have plenty with the long tube headers. A local rod shot here convinced me that full length was the onlynway to go for sound and more importantly h.p. gains. I met the owner of the shop last month at the Good Guys hot rod show here in Scottsdale, Az. We discussed my header options and he hooked me up with the lowest price in town ($167 otd..). They look great, fit great and sound great. The added getty up and go,is sweet as well:driver:

Sure...I could have ordered inline, but didn't want to risk them not fitting, gettingndamaged in shipping, etc. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to doing business face to face. It's good and bad to have a hot rod shop within 2 miles of my house.

Last edited:

mbl530

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350 ci 375 hp
Now you have me re-thinking about the block hugger headers. What you said makes sense. You mentioned the Good Guys show, did you see the 67 or maybe a 68 c10 that Scotts hot rods built for a give away. I followed the build on another forum. Those guys definitely know their ****, I should be getting some pictures of my build tomorrow. Then I will try uploading.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Now you have me re-thinking about the block hugger headers. What you said makes sense. You mentioned the Good Guys show, did you see the 67 or maybe a 68 c10 that Scotts hot rods built for a give away. I followed the build on another forum. Those guys definitely know their ****, I should be getting some pictures of my build tomorrow. Then I will try uploading.

Yep...saw it, drooled over it...and walked away with big plans to get going on my truck. Although it won't be remotely close to what they did, it pushed me to keep on going. There were so many great builds at that show it was overwhelming. Vendors were very approachable and offered great technical advise.

The trucks ripping around the road course was awesome. We had front row seats to all the action. I am looking forwatd to the next show and hope to have my truck done by then.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
progress pics from this a.m.

Finally finished installing the new headers...had them ceramic VHT high 1200 degree high temp paint/ceramic coated. The collectors are low to the pavement...guess speed bumps are gonna be avoided lol. The headers are really close on the passenger side frame, but nothing a little plasma cutter can take of. I need to make a 3/8" notch for clearance. As of now, the down tube from #6 cylinder just kissed the inner frame rail.

After the headers were installed and the smog was ditched..I started cleaning up the engine compartment a little more

I still need to source an a.c. compressor before next summer. The p.o. removed it. I also removed the air pump and related components. The only remianing part of that system are the hard lined metal tube which attach to the block behind the manifold. They will stay for the time being. When I get more energy to spend time under the hood, they will join the other pieces in my scrap pile.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
more progress...no bed stake holes

Filled in and smoothed out the bed stake holes.....smoothed out tailgate handle and relocated to inside of tailgate

Last edited:

mbl530

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
350 ci 375 hp
Wow great pics of your build, everything looks great, Exhaust in front of wheels came out good,nice look. The filled in pocket holes, again just gives it that smooth finished look. The wheels, i'm envious, asI said before, they are going to rock with the dark blue you said you were going to use. What brand and model are the wheels. I was able to get some picures of my truck , but they are in my profile page. How did you post your pictures, I am still trying to familiarize with this forum, and have never posted pics before. I wish I had a plasma cutter. What a handy tool to have in a shop.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
In order to post pics on the forum, I take pics on my tablet, save them to my files, then in order to post the pics in a reply...use the "go advanced" option (next to the "post quick reply" option) at the bottom of the page. Once replying using advanced option you will be prompted to attach files. Jpeg format works best when attaching files. As long as the files are small, they should post without issue. Follow the prompts and you should get results and see the pics that y I u have attached. If you need to delete pics, use the edit option.

The wheels and tires were purchased locally from a shop that specializes in c10 trucks. The wheels are "Riddler" brand...not sure of the model. I went with a stagger setup with 20"x 8 up front and 20"×10 out back. I get a lot of compliments with them on. With all thats available for these trucks...I am glad I decided on these. I almost went with the chrome version, but glad I didn't since chrome eventually peels.

Last edited:

gmc1500

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Mbl530 what c-notch kit did u go with if u don't mind me asking and are you also doing drop shackles,hangers, or blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theshawnR