New to me wheels and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My truck had the steelies and dog dish caps from the factory. It took me forever to round up a full set of rallies, and it turns out two of them are bent, but you can get an idea how much better the rallies are than the steelies. The steel wheels are only 6 inch wide and the rallies are 8. It makes a huge difference in the way it drives. I just swapped the existing front tires from the original wheels to the rallies, they are 235 75. The rears are 295 65 Mickey Thompson. Traction is night and day different. Before with 235s out back back it would flat out annihilate both tires, but now there is zero wheel spin. The tire guy said I might think about swapping the 235s up front for a 255 70. What do you all think of the new look? Before and after photos below:

You must be registered for see images attach

45tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Grande K15
Engine Size
Looks good, always liked the Mickeys. I agree with your tire guy and put a little taller meatier tire in the front. Be careful with the Mickeys in the back if you get caught in the rain. That much surface contact on dry pavement is good. In the rain it’s a different story. They can hydroplane.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Very nice. Love that color too. Standard ride height? The bigger tires suit her. The navy blue on the longbed is really elegant.

What so people with shortbeds do? For that matter, What do people with big new grey plastic crew-cab-5-foot-bed decal-plastered bluetooth speakers on wheels feel when they see your long cool woman pull up?

Maybe they feel, for a glittering instant, that they are on the WRONG PATH in life.

(Then their corporate GPS System blasts out of the 10 speakers and tells them what to do next, And they answer some txts and tweets while driving, and their recommended Spotify playlist serves up some AI-generated drek, and Everyone knows where they are and what they are doing and that it is approved, and the discomfort and confusion waft away, like weed smoke.)

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@45tt I agree. I found another four rallies and I need to confirm they aren't bent before I repaint them. The new plan is to run four 255 70 15 tires and only swap the Mickey Thompsons if I visit the track. I'd like to run a 265 70 15s if I can find a street tread pattern.
@BRetty it's stock height kind of: it came factory with the light duty springs and brakes. I swapped the front springs with moog 6454 which I believe are the HD front springs found on models with the 1.25 inch front brake rotors. They picked up the front a couple of inches vs the 1982 stockers. The rears are light duty original from 1982 intouched, and narrower than the HD leafs found on the HD BIG10s.
I think I get what you're saying about the modern trucks. It wouldn't surprise me to learn most of the late model trucks in this area aren't used for utility purposes and have probably never hauled much more than groceries. Eh, to each his own. I don't understand the late model stuff, and honestly it's not my thing to pay that much money for something that's going to lose so much value in such a short time. This truck is 39 years old and goes to and from home depot just as well as a new one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54