Dash Cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I'm thinking of getting a dash cam to record the hilaria of my daily driving.

Is anybody running a dash cam for personal or professional reasons? What brands or specs would you recommend?

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
My first thoughts would be a GoPro. No experience. If I was going to do this I probably would consider it. They are used quite regular for things like this.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I tried three different sub $50 models and they all were bad. One melted, other one broke, and third one does not work without reset if vehicle sits long enough for its battery to discharge(about two/three weeks)

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I’ve also been saving spare money for one. I see a lot of stupid crap everyday and a lot of hilarious ness as well. I’ve had a lot of close calls with ********* on the road and a dash cam can really help you. Also what if you’re just driving along and Bigfoot’s in the road?? You can’t quick whip out your phone and record you need that dash cam lol

It was sad because it was a squarebody but it was two butch chicks in it and they were right in front of me for at least 10 blocks and just going along and all of the sudden the drivers side rear wheel comes off the axle hahaha and it goes rolling up through the intersection without hitting anything or anyone, and after it loses moment the wheel starts rolling back towards us and traffic next to me.

All of the sudden one of the butch girls jumps out the truck and NINJA KICKS THE DAMN THING:rotflmao::rotflmao: and mind you, this isn’t a stock square lol it’s lifted with at least 35’s and this girl just hops out the truck to ninja kick the frickin thing so it doesn’t hit this newer chevy it was heading right for.

Woulda been internet gold lolol if only I had a dash cam, now all it is, is a good story lol

Anyways i was just gonna go with a GoPro as well, so I could use it for other purposes

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Got my wife a Garmin unit. It works great and will save your ass in a pinch if someone tries to pin something on you when it is caught on camera.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
These aren't bad, and real good for hte money. They use all GO Pro Accessories too. A few of the tow buds are using them. They're not drive cams but have a setting to set it for loop. You use a 32GB SD micro card it films and when then it went gets full, it starts looping and recording over old video. What they do is carry 2 cards and film all day, then edit their video of the stuff they want to keep like loading up certain cars or working different recoveries. For a drive cam, you can just let it loop all the time and then if there is an event that you need like a car accident, then take your chip out or don't record to for long enough time to start overwriting it. I think the 32mb chips gives 3 or 4 hours of recording.

Activeon CX for $39.99
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Activeon...a-Wi-Fi-with-LCD-Waterproof-Housing/656142465

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Does it remember where to start recording again when battery runs out? I am getting a problem of cams working fine untill sitting for a while. Then it will not touch previously recorded video. This will happen few times untill it is completely out of space and video recording loop only few seconds long. Have to format the card and it will start using all space again, that is untill vehicle sits long enough for its battery to cycle off.

These aren't bad, and real good for hte money. They use all GO Pro Accessories too. A few of the tow buds are using them. They're not drive cams but have a setting to set it for loop. You use a 32GB SD micro card it films and when then it went gets full, it starts looping and recording over old video. What they do is carry 2 cards and film all day, then edit their video of the stuff they want to keep like loading up certain cars or working different recoveries. For a drive cam, you can just let it loop all the time and then if there is an event that you need like a car accident, then take your chip out or don't record to for long enough time to start overwriting it. I think the 32mb chips gives 3 or 4 hours of recording.

Activeon CX for $39.99
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Activeon...a-Wi-Fi-with-LCD-Waterproof-Housing/656142465

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Does it remember where to start recording again when battery runs out? I am getting a problem of cams working fine untill sitting for a while. Then it will not touch previously recorded video. This will happen few times untill it is completely out of space and video recording loop only few seconds long. Have to format the card and it will start using all space again, that is untill vehicle sits long enough for its battery to cycle off.
I'm not aware of that being a problem, so I couldn't say.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The action cam idea is certainly good. I especially like the price on the one that HRPC linked. My GoPro is too much $$$ to leave hanging in the car all the time. I wonder if there's a car adapter for charging? Having to haul it out of the car to charge it all the time would probably lead to it being dead most of the time.

Like the Garmins too. But they are a little spendy also.

Would it be better to have a GPS enabled cam? I guess it's one of those things where the evidence can save or bite you.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
The thing I like about the one a coworker has is when the car is parked any slight bump will start a recording. Also his records forward and backwards at the same time. Not sure the brand or cost though.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
It's looking like a lot of compromises. I like the idea of portability so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle. Front and rear cams are a great idea too, but the rear cams usually require a permanent install. Although some have two cams built in to the single unit. And, of course I don't want to pay too much for it either. Is that so unreasonable? :rolleyes:

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
I drive a lot for work. Sometimes in a box truck, the rest of the time in rental cars. I have a couple of Viofo A119 dash cams. They've worked/lasted the best for me. They're not perfect, but they record nice video and loop continuously. I can save videos with a touch of the button when I see something I want to record.
I tried a GoPro, but they overheat after a couple of hours. Once they get overheated they drain the battery with the power turned off. I had 4 replaced under warranty before I gave up.
The cheap cams just don't last, so spend a few bucks if you plan to use it a lot.
Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88