Early OBS dash swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khayward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE
Engine Size
Thought I had posted this previously. Beginning the work of swapping my 90 'Burb dash for an early OBS dash. I think the donor for the mockup was a 91 pickup. Pretty well optioned at any rate, had digital hvac controls and the factory tape deck/EQ in the center of the dash.
What I want to eventually achieve, after figuring out if it'll even fit, is to have a One Gauge digital cluster and replace the factory radio (the one next to the cluster, rather than the middle of the dash) with some kind of infotainment/hvac unit. Have to figure out if there was an '07+ GM unit whose screen module will fit.
The truck will be getting a 6.0/6.2 and 4L80E starting at some point next year, hence the gauge upgrade.
I didn't get the heater box or any other underdash parts, ran out of time. I doubt the donor is going anywhere.

Stuff I know so far:
- OBS dash is 1-1/2" narrower than the squarebody dash: 63" vs 64.5" (planning on some kind of filler panel)
- The OBS dash attaches to the steering column. The Suburban has the same steering column so I'm confident it'll attach just fine, what I'm not sure of is the geometry - is the position of the column mount with respect to the windshield edge of the dash close enough on both trucks that it'll fit ok, or with there need to some fudging there too?

Will be reassembling the donor dash over the next few days, will add a photo then. Only thing I don't care for is the soft pad around the cluster module. I seem to remember my S-10s having just a rounded hard plastic edge on the cluster section - Did the early OBS have some variation in edge treatments?

Khayward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE
Engine Size
A busy work week means I didn't make progress here, but did snap pictures while messing with some bodywork, so here's what I managed to strip. I'm pretty sure the glovebox is in the dirt beside the donor, that's where the center vent cover was.
I grabbed the 2 piece radio and the digital hvac controls so I can use them to dimension custom modules to go in their places.
I have some body sections to wash down today so I'll probably hose everything down, except the electronicals, as it's all filthy. Want to get rockers done before the snow flies, so tinkering with the dash will be a winter project.

Attachments

• 20230923_133924.jpg
    20230923_133924.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230923_133926.jpg
    20230923_133926.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 51

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod