Dash Cams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The action cam idea is certainly good. I especially like the price on the one that HRPC linked. My GoPro is too much $$$ to leave hanging in the car all the time. I wonder if there's a car adapter for charging? Having to haul it out of the car to charge it all the time would probably lead to it being dead most of the time.

Like the Garmins too. But they are a little spendy also.

Would it be better to have a GPS enabled cam? I guess it's one of those things where the evidence can save or bite you.
Cost is one big reason I didn't do Go Pro. They do tend to disappear. The ActiveOn CX came with a USB cable and I've charged it on my computer, with my phone charger wall plug and my cig lighter adapter. Haven't had any issues so far.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a cheapo Uniden DC1 in my car. Not great but it does everything I want it to.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Not sure why anyone would expect any better quality than that for a drive cam. Unless you're producing movies for Driver's Ed class I think that's pretty good and will stand up in court just fine. :waytogo:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Not sure why anyone would expect any better quality than that for a drive cam. Unless you're producing movies for Driver's Ed class I think that's pretty good and will stand up in court just fine. :waytogo:

For $30, I can't complain. Battery life sucks but I leave it plugged in anyway. It has the shock sensor too if someone bumps it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know of 1 not to get, is that $20 Drive cam from Walmart. Sucks ass bad. I mean, it might get the job done as proof in an accident, but quality is so piss poor and give up on the sound. May as well just shut that off.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I know of 1 not to get, is that $20 Drive cam from Walmart. Sucks ass bad. I mean, it might get the job done as proof in an accident, but quality is so piss poor and give up on the sound. May as well just shut that off.

Yeah, my first one was a $20 DB Drive from Fry's...Quality sucks and no extra features but it's okay for a backup. I have it in the back window.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Cost is one big reason I didn't do Go Pro. They do tend to disappear. The ActiveOn CX came with a USB cable and I've charged it on my computer, with my phone charger wall plug and my cig lighter adapter. Haven't had any issues so far.

I know myself well enough to know if it requires a lot of attention, like taking it out of the car to charge, I will forget to do it routinely.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
So based on what I'm seeing so far it looks like I'm aiming for a dedicated dash cam. But not a cheap cheap one.

I have a gift card for Best Buy so I'm kind of leaning towards them, which naturally limits me to their selection. And of course, something with all the features you would want is more $$$ so I'm going to have to make decisions.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else has thoughts or experiences to share it would be appreciated.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's 2 with that cheap cam. My get in trouble cheating videos. I usually filmed when towing so if I had a damage claim I have proof I didn't do that damage. I got in trouble for these 2. I cheated and didn't use straps or drag lights, and one I was doing about 80 was because that dumb ***** was in the fast lane doing the speed limit and the 2 big rigs were passing him the center lane so I went into the slow lane to get around them. Ohh and I had a Law Enforcement call holding so I needed to drop quick.

I look like a rookie backing this bitch up. For real, it wasn't me, that was on a sheet of ice in that parking lot and that bitch wouldn't turn and my steer tires just slid sideways too.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Added a couple of new dash cam videos.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
Here's one from my Viofo cam. This guy didn't see me. He was VERY apologetic at the next traffic light. It was just a mistake. Glad there was no contact. Youtube videos are never a good reflection of video quality, so this isn't as nice as the raw video.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a little Zetronix from a couple years back. Works great. I put a 32GB microSP in it. It also records with a bump. When you look at the video quality full screen on a desktop, it's really much better than I expected.

This is the one I have.
https://www.1sale.com/products/zetr...mera-33-free-shipping-w-promo-code-2off1sale/

I put it on Working Girl, and the first month I had it, I caught this. School district said, "It's your fault. Our drivers are professionals." Then a friend who works with the school district sent this to the transportation director, and the school district took full responsibility and paid for everything. BTW, the guy in the car has a CDL and millions of miles behind the wheel in 18-wheelers.

Collision is at 1:20.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
The thing I like about the one a coworker has is when the car is parked any slight bump will start a recording. Also his records forward and backwards at the same time. Not sure the brand or cost though.

Well quick! Find out!! :Big Laugh:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Here's one from my Viofo cam. This guy didn't see me. He was VERY apologetic at the next traffic light. It was just a mistake. Glad there was no contact. Youtube videos are never a good reflection of video quality, so this isn't as nice as the raw video.

I've been guilty a couple times myself. One time, the guy was up next to me at the next light and I waved as if to say I'm sorry, he rolled down his window and started bitching and I just looked at him and let him vent and then said, Hey Man, I'm sorry, just didn't see you, I'm sure glad you were paying attention and saved my ass, so thanks. He then said, It's all good man, no worries. :rofl: I bet he felt like an ass for going off and bitching and name calling and **** which went in one ear and out the other. This is why I try not to get pist off these days and give benefit of the doubt when I can. Not everyone is an ******* driver. I know some cars have pillars in bad spots and they can't see you sometimes. That's why it's important to be a defensive driver.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a little Zetronix from a couple years back. Works great. I put a 32GB microSP in it. It also records with a bump. When you look at the video quality full screen on a desktop, it's really much better than I expected.

This is the one I have.
https://www.1sale.com/products/zetr...mera-33-free-shipping-w-promo-code-2off1sale/

I put it on Working Girl, and the first month I had it, I caught this. School district said, "It's your fault. Our drivers are professionals." Then a friend who works with the school district sent this to the transportation director, and the school district took full responsibility and paid for everything. BTW, the guy in the car has a CDL and millions of miles behind the wheel in 18-wheelers.

Collision is at 1:20.
Those CDL guys need all the help they can get. An accident or even minor infraction hurts them bad, especially when applying for a job.

JoeR Jr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0/4L80E
I've been guilty a couple times myself. One time, the guy was up next to me at the next light and I waved as if to say I'm sorry, he rolled down his window and started bitching and I just looked at him and let him vent and then said, Hey Man, I'm sorry, just didn't see you, I'm sure glad you were paying attention and saved my ass, so thanks. He then said, It's all good man, no worries. :rofl: I bet he felt like an ass for going off and bitching and name calling and **** which went in one ear and out the other. This is why I try not to get pist off these days and give benefit of the doubt when I can. Not everyone is an ******* driver. I know some cars have pillars in bad spots and they can't see you sometimes. That's why it's important to be a defensive driver.

If you listen closely you can hear me chuckle about it. Like you, I've done it myself. Left lane campers are another story though. They do aggravate me!
Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08