Crewcab Floor and Rocker Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
Hi all,

I picked up a new cab to start my restoration of my previously 'restored' '76 C20 3+3. My current cab has already been patched terribly and un-safe. The floor supports are cut back, and never extended again to each the inner rockers- and many of the panels are overlapped and just put in as quick as possible. Plus, being from up north most of the cab seams are rusty beyond what I'm looking to fix.

Fast forward to this weekend, I picked up a new cab(with title) to start fresh with. The cab has more rust than I was hoping it had, but the guy worked on the price with me and I took it home anyways. So it's mine to sort out now. The metal work needed is no problem, I just need to know what it's supposed to look like. My original '76 has a botched job, so I can't look on it for what is supposed to be factory.

This cab rusted from having the windows down for an extended period of time along with clogged up cowl vents at the bottom. So typical bottom up rocker rust is not there, but top down edge of floor pan and rocker rust is present. Cab supports are 100% clean along with all the sheetmetal 4" up from the floor. And the dash is uncut :party36:

My question- do the rear rockers look patched to you guys?? Obviously I can see a seam where a rocker was put on. Both sides match perfectly- so either they were replaced by the same guy at the same time or the factory did it. Also on the inners, it looks like you can see where the old inner rocker was and somebody cut it off to a flange, and welded new inners over the top. This is, of course, unless this is how it was done factory?

I see LMC and brothers selling 1 piece crew cab rockers. So where the factory rockers 1 piece?

Does anyone have similar pictures of a crewcab they know is untouched?

Pics-

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm not a crew cab guy, but those look patched to me. I would think the cab side would have had both door apertures stamped into one piece.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Can't argue with the pics. Like I said, not a crew cab guy. All the ones I've seen in person, probably never once looked at the rear door sills. Just seems odd, (to me anyway) that they would piece it together like that.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
completely agree.

and I'm not very educated on the subject either- I only found the pictures after much digging. I'd still like someone to confirm for sure.

Seems to be all correct. So strange they are pieced together with a million seams and overlap/lap joints.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Yup, these days I'm so used to seeing the entire outer bodyside of cars as one stamped piece from windshield pillar to taillight opening. It's easy to forget they used to piece the car sides together too. They just hid the seams better. I think that's what strikes me as so odd that the truck seams would be so obvious. Then again, that's when they were building trucks for people who were going to use them as trucks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Factory rockers are 2 pieces. Burbs are that way too.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
Alright great.

It appears my cab is untouched. I just need to put it back how I found it. Easy enough.

Thanks

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
can't help you on the rockers but I have that exact same Nissan forklift. highdesertranger

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
that forklift is a beast. we got it for free. did a headgasket and its been fine. we brought it to the exhaust shop to fix the rusted stuff, and they put a glasspack on it as a joke LOL. Thing sounds gnarly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad