Rocker question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

496bb

Reaction score
First Name
CL
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
So, I know the rockers are very prone to rust. Attaching a pic of what is really the only significant rust on my 87 Burb. Passenger front rocker has two spots right where the factory lip has holes. But why, and can I do anything to prevent further issue when I do new rubber? Did this side of the truck sit higher and prevent water from draining off?

These spots are not rusted through, hit ‘em with a flex wheel and a bit of spray paint for temporary protection. I’m gonna do some POR15 and after a repaint prob do the sill chrome plates too. Just unsure why this side is like this and the other 3 doors and rockers are in great shape.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That’s not rust….
Sand it down, if it’s a little pitted and you want it perfect, skim coat of bondo and paint it. If it made it 36 years and that’s the worst, and you’re in Alabama, maybe your grandkids will have to worry about it the next time.

Trucksareforwork

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That’s not rust….
Sand it down, if it’s a little pitted and you want it perfect, skim coat of bondo and paint it. If it made it 36 years and that’s the worst, and you’re in Alabama, maybe your grandkids will have to worry about it the next time.
Exactly. I replaced inner rockers and floor panels on a truck last summer. The inner rockers basically crumbled when I went to cut them out. The footwells of the floor panels could be peeled away almost everywhere but the spot welds.

I see no rust in that picture. The OP has a nice problem! I’m not even sure I would spend on por 15. That’s more like a rust oleum job (unless it’s being repainted of course).

ETA: the question was why more rust on that side. I can only guess, but one possible is that the truck had a leaky heater core that went unnoticed for too long. That can lead to more corrosion on the passenger side. There might have been a leaky windshield or door gasket as well. Lots of ways one side can get corroded. My ‘85 must have been parked under a shade tree for a while because one side of the truck was lots of surface rust and the other was not. I assumed it just was parked long term where one side saw more weather and/ or corrosives (salt spray?) than the other.

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Just cut out the bad and put in not as bad. No sweat. Mwahaha. Extra points for using the wrong model floor parts to patch it.

It was worse on the passenger side because it sat for close to 15 years at an angle and all the water gathered there and leaked out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia