Coil overs vs. Regular shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So looking for new front shocks i hopped on rockauto just because they have the discount code. Found that shocks are way cheaper on there, not sure of the quality but it raised a question.... are normal shocks better or are coil overs? Im not sure as ive never had coilovers.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'd go with regular shocks. Shock mounts aren't really meant to carry the load.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I'd go with regular shocks. Shock mounts aren't really meant to carry the load.
depends on the suspension setup, the lower shock mount on a 2wd uses the same metal to support the weight as the coil overs, What i think he meant was shocks with spring helpers like
You must be registered for see images attach

not

Reactions: WFO

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
depends on the suspension setup, the lower shock mount on a 2wd uses the same metal to support the weight as the coil overs, What i think he meant was shocks with spring helpers like

not

My bad.... yes i mean spring helpers. I was unaware of a differance.

Reactions: WFO

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Would the coil overs help lift up the front?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Would the coil overs help lift up the front?

they can but your limited to length of stock suspension unless you change it out. On a 2wd you could buy different spindles to raise it and keep the same ride quality, 4wd requires redesigning your suspension to eliminate the leaf springs and go to a four link setup. Keep in mind they arent cheap, the pair I bought were $400, the double adjustable ones are $700 for the pair.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
they can but your limited to length of stock suspension unless you change it out. On a 2wd you could buy different spindles to raise it and keep the same ride quality, 4wd requires redesigning your suspension to eliminate the leaf springs and go to a four link setup. Keep in mind they arent cheap, the pair I bought were $400, the double adjustable ones are $700 for the pair.
Im looking to actually get mine to sit level and maybe fit 16's under the front. I know my shocks are shot and probably my coils but im looking for a cheaper easier way to get her nose up.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
new springs are like $60 do a search find what spring rate people are using in these trucks for desired result like handling and google moog spring rate chart and springs to fit.

$60 springs
$100 shocks
spindles ?

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I put big block coil springs on my 84 GMC back in 86. It leveled it up, and took out a lot of roll over in the corners. It was a long bed.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I put big block coil springs on my 84 GMC back in 86. It leveled it up, and took out a lot of roll over in the corners. It was a long bed.
Does it make the ride quality alot harder, stiffer? I like my soft bouncin truck but want it to stand taller in the front. Are 3/4 ton coils interchangeable into a c10?

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Does it make the ride quality alot harder, stiffer? I like my soft bouncin truck but want it to stand taller in the front. Are 3/4 ton coils interchangeable into a c10?
That was over 30 years ago, but I remember that it rode better. I switched to gas shocks at the same time.
I'm not sure if 3/4 ton springs will mount, but I think they would be way too much.
I'm sure there's more spring rate options out there now days.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
That was over 30 years ago, but I remember that it rode better. I switched to gas shocks at the same time.
I'm not sure if 3/4 ton springs will mount, but I think they would be way too much.
I'm sure there's more spring rate options out there now days.
I think i confused bb springs with 3/4 tons....

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
This is the hot damn setup for 2x
!!!!!!!

deviant

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Bonanza
Engine Size

not

These are just non-shock adjustable coilovers (top) and shock adjustable coilovers (bottom). Major benefits are less rollover, stiffer ride (if you're looking for that), increased towing capacity (with rear coilovers) and even extra load capacity. How much depends on spring rate. Shock adjustable coilovers benefit you more when you're running something on road and on track, so you stiffen the ride for track and soften it for daily cruising. I don't really see the benefit for a truck for the extra money, except maybe on an extreme drop where you want to help prevent it from bottoming out. Which in that case, you can go with heavier rated progressive springs in your control arms and/or leaf springs. Any gain in ride height will only come from a longer shock, but what you will get is less sag from a coilover. When you lower a truck and account for 5", but it sags to 6", then a coilover can put you back at 5". Me personally, I run a stiffer progressive spring in the control arms and good damping non-coilover shocks on all four corners and sway bars to help on road handling.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Me personally, I run a stiffer progressive spring in the control arms and good damping non-coilover shocks on all four corners and sway bars to help on road handling.

Can you please describe what you mean as 'control arms'? What may I ask are control arms? Sorry I though square body 2x2 trucks had A-frames so I'm confused.
I've certainly never heard of progressive springs for the front of these trucks...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88