lift kit identification?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
my sons new to him 87 has a lift on it. Its running 35" tires on 15" wheels. Has a 5" block in the back on what looks like stock 52" springs. the front has newer leaf pack, with thick red bushings, and the shackle is short, Im guessing stock, that is pointed forward at like 7oclock. Was running factory sway bar location. Tires rub back of inner fender at full turn.

It rides like crap. Im well aware of leaf suspensions etc, and how they are but this is really stiff.

First question: Is this a 4" kit on this thing?

We just put the ORD sway bar links on and XJ shaft, so hopefully it will steer better, but Id like to improve the ride some if I can. Dont want to throw a bunch of money at it, as he will only be riding like this for a while, as I have a set of superduty axles that will go in it when he can save up some money for it. However, Id like to swap to 56" or maybe even 63 rear springs on a shackle flip. That stays the same with either rear axle.
Second question, assuming this is a 4" kit is there a decent set of front springs for a reasonable amount of money I can swap inplace of these?

no idea what the shocks are either. there are no stickers on them, and I havent found part numbers yet, but Im sure that could be part of the issue as well. The dual steering dampers seem pretty blown out too.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Stock trucks measure 8.5" between the bottom of the frame and the top of the front axle tube, any difference is the amount of lift.

Tuff Country typically has the best ride of all the off the shelf brands because they have the lowest spring rates. That said, leaf spring lifts all ride harsh like a wagon so it might get better but that doesn't mean it'll be good. No leaf spring kit is going to ride like a newer truck.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
i understand how leaf springs ride, but this is awful. A well tuned leaf setup can work great, usually with high dollar parts of course, but this is like the polar opposite of that. 5 thick leaves and lousy shocks. hoping the swaybar likes will help, but want a plan B till the one tons and coilovers go in

confiriming 8.5" from bottom of frame to top of tube not leaf pack or spring bracket? thank you

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Top of the axle tube, NOT the top of the springs or u-bolt plate or spring perch, etc.

Changing the front shackle angle so it has a rearward angle will improve the ride some, you can do this by relocating the upper shackle hanger forward. Minimal money mod.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
not much room for the shackle to move back anyway before hitting the frame.

I would have expected the springs to be a bit longer. Is it normal for people to have to move the hanger forward on a lift? First time chevy owner, but that seems dumb if the manufacturors arent making longer springs to account for that and just arching 48" springs.

there is a shim on the bottom of the pack, is it normal to need to shim a lift on these? Should it have a longer shackle?

edit: 12.5" so looks like 4 inch. Are the red leaf bushings indicative of skyjacker stuff? They were known to be stiff in the ford world.

Last edited:

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Red bushings were used by Rancho and Skyjacker, Super lift uses yellow, I can't remember what color Tuff Country and Rough Country use. Both Skyjacker and Superlift offer standard and soft ride springs. Rough Country has the highest spring rates.

As far as lengths, every off the shelf lift spring I've installed is always a little short causing the shackle to swing forward. There is room to move the rear upper hanger forward and then use a slight longer shackle, this is a common practice when installing longer (typically rear) springs up front for improved suspension travel.

The shim is to help with driveshaft angle, most lift springs have them. The degree of shim is dependent on the amount of lift but there is a limit since too much shim can mess with caster angles.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
ID be all for throwing the stock 52's up front. getting differing opinions on streetability. My teenager will be driving this, so I dont want it too unstable. Ive got a set of 57" ford springs I was thinking about throwing in the back, unless I can find some 63's for a fair price.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Longer springs in the rear are great and don’t really change things but 52’s up front are very noticeable.

The 52’s won’t make it truly unstable but they will allow a lot of body roll, like a boat. I’ve got 2” lift 52’s on the front of my Blazer and even though lift springs should be stiffer than stock it has a very different ride that stock length front springs.

If you’re considering 52’s definitely study up because they can lead to a domino effect of mods on the front end.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
i dont mind swapping gear box and dumping sway bar, or relocating front perches. But Id rather not spend much on stuff Ill likely swap out in a year or so

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Got any pictures of the front springs? Seeing the overall arch, the number of leaves, the ends of the leaves and the spring eye style will help determine what you have.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
i dont mind swapping gear box and dumping sway bar, or relocating front perches. But Id rather not spend much on stuff Ill likely swap out in a year or so
Honestly Sir, if you’re gonna do links, wontons, and coilovers in a year just leave it alone until then and just enjoy it riding like a freight car for the time being.

If it has 35’s already I’d take a look at the frame where the steering box mounts for cracks, ORD sells a nice patch kit with a brace. If it hasn’t cracked yet I’d invest in the ORD brace before it does.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Ive got the hogback kit for steering reinforcement. Checking the frame around the box looks pretty good. When I convert to crossover Ill weld the plates on. Till then, I may just use the crossmember. I dont mind the work, as it gives me a chance to show the kid what different things do to change ride quality, etc.

Pics of leaves included. 5 leaf, 3/8 thick. It does have Procomp ES9000 shocks.

Edit: Verified 4" lift- 12.5" frame to tube

Attachments

• IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like 4" springs. A buddy of mine used to have a truck with Pro Comp springs, iirc they were built like those. Pretty sure the bushings were red too.

I remember for certain that the truck rode like a log wagon though. No forgetting that part, lol.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
it rides pretty horribly. I always thought procomp used black bushings, but imagine you can get what ever color you want.

Scribbles

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
my sons new to him 87 has a lift on it. Its running 35" tires on 15" wheels. Has a 5" block in the back on what looks like stock 52" springs. the front has newer leaf pack, with thick red bushings, and the shackle is short, Im guessing stock, that is pointed forward at like 7oclock. Was running factory sway bar location. Tires rub back of inner fender at full turn.

It rides like crap. Im well aware of leaf suspensions etc, and how they are but this is really stiff.

First question: Is this a 4" kit on this thing?

We just put the ORD sway bar links on and XJ shaft, so hopefully it will steer better, but Id like to improve the ride some if I can. Dont want to throw a bunch of money at it, as he will only be riding like this for a while, as I have a set of superduty axles that will go in it when he can save up some money for it. However, Id like to swap to 56" or maybe even 63 rear springs on a shackle flip. That stays the same with either rear axle.
Second question, assuming this is a 4" kit is there a decent set of front springs for a reasonable amount of money I can swap inplace of these?

no idea what the shocks are either. there are no stickers on them, and I havent found part numbers yet, but Im sure that could be part of the issue as well. The dual steering dampers seem pretty blown out too.
It sounds like my factory "lift" on my 89 Suburban, washboard roads are ridiculously rough and jarring and it almost rubs with 33" tires even though there is almost no articulation in the front.
I just purchased a 6inch Rough country lift so I hope that will help with at least Articulation if not ride quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod