Lift recommendations.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

molus

Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Good morning all the way from New Zealand. I’ve just bought this K20 as a fresh import into the country.
I’m looking at replacing the suspension as it’s current hacked and welded.
I’m thinking of doing a shackle flip in the rear + a 2 inch lift (56 inch leafs). And 6 inch in the front.
What’s everyone’s recommendation for smoothest ride and good articulation.
I will not be hauling any weight, will be mostly off-roading. Will be adding a Baja style bar with lights and winch on front. I plan on keeping it on 37/12.5s. I’ve also adding a bushwhacker cut out flares. (Tyres can’t stick out past guards in NZ)
Thinking about a sway bar disconnect and crossover steering kit also. I have to import everything by container so only want to do this once.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dude. It's already about as good as it gets. I wouldn't change anything. I get the changing things mechanically to make it safe but cutting it up to add wheel flares? Meh :(
BTW, you're missing a piece of grill trim. Carry on.

Hogger

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SquareRoot is spot on! Don't change anything. OK, go ahead and put that piece of trim on the right side.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I think you guys missed the hacked and welded part.

I would be talking to ord and then you can do the one stop shop and get everything you need from one spot and they would definitely point you in the right direction on how to keep the same ride height.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from Ohio. That's one nice looking truck

molus

Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I think you guys missed the hacked and welded part.

I would be talking to ord and then you can do the one stop shop and get everything you need from one spot and they would definitely point you in the right direction on how to keep the same ride height.
Thanks. It’s got 4 inches of blocks in the rear and the front leaf shackles have been cut and extended with 1 inch box section.
By ORD do you mean offroad design?

molus

Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
SquareRoot is spot on! Don't change anything. OK, go ahead and put that piece of trim on the right side.
Yea I’ve got the trim. All of the plastic clips are failing so will be ordering more. It’s more nice from a far. Grills cracking, suns got to the door cards, seats ect. It’s all being stripped out as we speak.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dude. It's already about as good as it gets. I wouldn't change anything. I get the changing things mechanically to make it safe but cutting it up to add wheel flares? Meh :(
BTW, you're missing a piece of grill trim. Carry on.
If you only mean cutting the fenders, I sorta agree, however fenders are cheap and plentiful (here not in NZ), but if he’s saddled with local regs AND he did say it’ll be an off roader, then it’s almost 100% necessary if he keeps that size tires. Right now that truck couldn’t crawl over a parking bumper with the wheels turned without the tires eating the fenders.
37s = 6” lift minimum. And still some cutting or other fuckery to clearance the front fenders for any real off roading.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you only mean cutting the fenders, I sorta agree, however fenders are cheap and plentiful (here not in NZ), but if he’s saddled with local regs AND he did say it’ll be an off roader, then it’s almost 100% necessary if he keeps that size tires. Right now that truck couldn’t crawl over a parking bumper with the wheels turned without the tires eating the fenders.
37s = 6” lift minimum. And still some cutting or other fuckery to clearance the front fenders for any real off roading.
Well in that case....

Attachments

• Here we go....JPG
    Here we go....JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 36
  • LS.PNG
    LS.PNG
    263.6 KB · Views: 37

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Welcome to the site from Central NC. That's a great looking ride you have there. I'm sure that "hacked and welded" is not going to be an issue until you get a few miles into the trail... I like the idea of the shackle flip and reducing the size of the block. I don't know exactly what has been done on the front. Send some pics of that too so that these folks can "examine and diagnose" the fail or weak points.

HS

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If staying leafs, Alcan (ORD) or Deaver both produce pretty flexy leafs.

Side note: is that grill year or trim level specific? I prefer that to mine quite a bit. I have the same 84 style front light arrangement, but my grill has fewer thicker horizontal “bars”.

Edit: Never mind I found it when I plugged in 1983 k30 on summit…carry on.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well in that case....
Not a rabbit hole. Just facts. Wanna wheel a squarebody on 37s, it ain’t hard but you gotta do what you gotta do. Doesn’t need to be over complicated.
And the guy is scrapping the janky lift that’s on it AND having to comply with local regs. So really not much to debate.

And I didn’t mean 6” lift min. Should have said recommended and a function of wheel offset and how much cutting and how twisty you’re making the truck.

molus

Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
New fenders aren’t to hard to source here or to expensive so I might even buy another set incase one day it becomes a mall crawler. I’m looking at either a skyjacker or ez-ride 6 inch lift now and will be trimming the fenders as well.

molus

Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Welcome to the site from Central NC. That's a great looking ride you have there. I'm sure that "hacked and welded" is not going to be an issue until you get a few miles into the trail... I like the idea of the shackle flip and reducing the size of the block. I don't know exactly what has been done on the front. Send some pics of that too so that these folks can "examine and diagnose" the fail or weak points.

HS
G’day
Very strict regs in NZ. Any modifications from original design requires certification (from a automotive engineer.) As well as 6 monthly warrant of fitnesses (checking brakes, bushes, rust, damage ect).
Can’t even register it until this is completed.

Attachments

• A91AECD7-1F72-4A59-BDA7-E34F09AC4F52.jpeg
    A91AECD7-1F72-4A59-BDA7-E34F09AC4F52.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad