C10 lift kit?? 7 inches?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you switch to 35"-37" tires without regearing the ring & pinion, it's going to be a snail as far as acceleration.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you switch to 35"-37" tires without regearing the ring & pinion, it's going to be a snail as far as acceleration.
What would I have to re-gear it to? I thought for that size tire 3.75 was good enough. 4.11 being best (what I have)

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Ah I see. Any recommendations for sizes to start off on?
Tires won't be acually bought and put on until I'm probobly almost done w/ the intirior of the car (a long time) for now we're just going to keep the current wheeles.
What drivetrain is in the truck? What gear ratio? That all plays a factor in what I'd recommend. If it's a tired 305/T350/3.08 I'd recommend against lifting at all. If it's a healthy 350 with at least a 3.73 gear, I probably wouldn't go taller than a 35

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What drivetrain is in the truck? What gear ratio? That all plays a factor in what I'd recommend. If it's a tired 305/T350/3.08 I'd recommend against lifting at all. If it's a healthy 350 with at least a 3.73 gear, I probably wouldn't go taller than a 35
Freshly rebuilt, cammed 350, 700r4 in good condition. 4.11 dif. Previous owner was a mechanic who rebuilt the engine and trans.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I still wouldn't go very big, just my opinion but then again I like power and speed. Personally, if you're hell bent on lifting it, I'd just use the 4.5" lift spindles and throw a 33" tire on some kinda 15x8 wheels (classic bullet holes would get my vote) and enjoy a reliable setup that won't totally rob power and mileage.

I was thinking about it earlier, that 3" lift lower control arm that's in that kit will likely make everything a huge **** to go back together with a stock spring. Because you'll be trying to compress that spring an extra 3" to get it in, then once (if) you get it in and back together, now the spring will be compressed so much the truck's gonna ride like ass.

On a stock 4x4 truck, a 2" lift set of leafs will clear a 33 on a 15x8. So I'd think you'd be close to the same height with the spindle. But that's a shot in the dark. The correct way to go about it would be to put the suspension on, then decide what wheel you like, order one to make sure it'll fit and take some measurements for tires.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I still wouldn't go very big, just my opinion but then again I like power and speed. Personally, if you're hell bent on lifting it, I'd just use the 4.5" lift spindles and throw a 33" tire on some kinda 15x8 wheels (classic bullet holes would get my vote) and enjoy a reliable setup that won't totally rob power and mileage.

I was thinking about it earlier, that 3" lift lower control arm that's in that kit will likely make everything a huge **** to go back together with a stock spring. Because you'll be trying to compress that spring an extra 3" to get it in, then once (if) you get it in and back together, now the spring will be compressed so much the truck's gonna ride like ass.

On a stock 4x4 truck, a 2" lift set of leafs will clear a 33 on a 15x8. So I'd think you'd be close to the same height with the spindle. But that's a shot in the dark. The correct way to go about it would be to put the suspension on, then decide what wheel you like, order one to make sure it'll fit and take some measurements for tires.
Ok. I alrety would have the bullet hole rims lol. Although not much of my style. But who knows. We kinda ruined the shine on the current wheeles.

We have to replace the control arms as I belive one of them is bent? Don't quite remember.
So I could get new springs(I'm guessing more beefy ones?), control arms. Then get a 4.5" lift spindles like this:
I'm assuming I wouldn't have to do the obs ball joint swap thing and could just go with the joints alrety installed into the control arms?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would look for a lift spindle that uses a hub and not tapered roller bearings. Will live a lot longer. You cannot scrimp on bearings with big/ heavy wheel/ tire combos.

If it were me and I really wanted to lift a 2wd high, i'd build a subframe and some control arms. Look for shops that build pre-runners. They know how to lift 2wd trucks safely.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Okay, I read it but didn't read it until just now. You're wanting to lift a 2wd truck. WHY! Notice no question mark on that?

Why not get a 4x4 already lifted for less money, less headache, and enjoy your c10 as a c10!

The guy that built your truck probably did a way better job of building it than you will trying to "fix" it to drive on gravel roads.

Unless you're that youtube dude that ruins trucks on purpose.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Ok. I alrety would have the bullet hole rims lol. Although not much of my style. But who knows. We kinda ruined the shine on the current wheeles.

We have to replace the control arms as I belive one of them is bent? Don't quite remember.
So I could get new springs(I'm guessing more beefy ones?), control arms. Then get a 4.5" lift spindles like this:
I'm assuming I wouldn't have to do the obs ball joint swap thing and could just go with the joints alrety installed into the control arms?
Nope, don't get "beefier" springs unless you want it to ride like crap, keep the ones you have. Get good quality replacement control arms and add those spindles. No, you won't need to do the OBS balljoint swap. That was only done back then because there literally were no parts offered to lift a 2wd squarebody until recently

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Nope, don't get "beefier" springs unless you want it to ride like crap, keep the ones you have. Get good quality replacement control arms and add those spindles. No, you won't need to do the OBS balljoint swap. That was only done back then because there literally were no parts offered to lift a 2wd squarebody until recently
Ok. So that's it for the suspension part until I decide to do breaks and whatnot?
I would look for a lift spindle that uses a hub and not tapered roller bearings. Will live a lot longer. You cannot scrimp on bearings with big/ heavy wheel/ tire combos.

If it were me and I really wanted to lift a 2wd high, i'd build a subframe and some control arms. Look for shops that build pre-runners. They know how to lift 2wd trucks safely.
I can't find any :(

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay, I read it but didn't read it until just now. You're wanting to lift a 2wd truck. WHY! Notice no question mark on that?

Why not get a 4x4 already lifted for less money, less headache, and enjoy your c10 as a c10!

The guy that built your truck probably did a way better job of building it than you will trying to "fix" it to drive on gravel roads.

Unless you're that youtube dude that ruins trucks on purpose.
Whistling diesel? Or some other guy?
Also 30k > 1k
I got a c10. I got what I got and I didn't complain. I was lucky to even get a classic. Yes I would have rather a k10. But I also would have rather a 69 commaro convertable.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
If it's the truck in your avatar, leave it alone and find a 4x4, or sell it and find a 4x4. The truck you have will travel gravel roads just fine, but you're wanting to lift it 7 inches, that is unrealistic. I know of a '68 c20 that was lifted 4 inches. For the longest time I thought it was a 4x4, it looked great, but it was worthless off road because of the suspension. They built subframes to lift the truck, great in theory as it left the suspension stock, but it made the truck worthless as it changed the dynamics of the truck. My '65 c20 was better in the same conditions. I will admit, I wanted to lift my '65 c20 before I even saw that '68, and if there was a kit available back then I would have been asking the same questions as your are. I personally am glad I left mine alone and just replaced the springs with new ones, which made a huge difference. Speaking from experience here, but it's your truck and maybe your money. If it were me, I'd leave the truck alone and spend the money more wisely.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Whistling diesel? Or some other guy?
Also 30k > 1k
I got a c10. I got what I got and I didn't complain. I was lucky to even get a classic. Yes I would have rather a k10. But I also would have rather a 69 commaro convertable.
I think you could probably trade straight across for a K10 if thats what you prefer. They are both worth about the same. I think that the question is that a lifted 2wd really serves no purpose other than for looks which is fine for some and not others. It's your truck and you do what you want, however I do caution you that it is a slippery slope when modifying vehicles and whatever you budget, expect it to really cosr 2-3x that amount. As long as its what you want and you enjoy it, it's fine, just know, as you can see from some reactions, when and if you decide to sell, you'll have a hard time recouping and funds.

randomTruckKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't even think it would be physically possable to take a c10 up 7 inches without some really goofy stuff going on.

This is my high-school truck. So I'm shure that says alot.

Not concerned about profit or getting money back. Last time I checked its almost impossible to get a profit on theese trucks.

The truck is just about what I want to do and what I think is cool.
Heck I'm puting a fully coustom intirior into this thing that will probobly rival rolls royce. With the most random but usefull features.

I understand to many that I might be "ruining" the truck but to me and alot of my buddies we think it's the most unique cool thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31