Shocks and valving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-roy K10

Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Recently bought an 85 K10 with a 4” lift and 35s. It rode like there’s no suspension movement at all. I ordered a Skyjacker soft ride 4” kit and replaced the front springs. (Back has blocks so that stayed for now) that helped slightly but still harder than any leaf spring 4x4 Ive owned. During the spring change I discovered that the skyjacker shocks it came with are apparently for a 6” lift judging by the length. They also seem to have 2 stage valving and get much stiffer as they reach the sitting of the truck, so thats making a hard ride also.
im looking at the rancho 9000s because they have an easy valving adjustment. The problem in that the model that fits the regarding the stroke length is listed as “front inner” and not just “front”. So the question is… what is the difference between ”front” and “front inner” shocks? There is another model that is listed as both.
I tried asking Rancho but have received no response yet.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Want a free experiment? Try unbolting your sway bar from the axle and wire it up out of the way. When lifted sway bars limit the axle movement. I was amazed at how much better it rode. Some don't like it, and maybe you won't. Then bolt it back on. OR: if you like it but miss the corning advantages of it you can buy sway bar disconnect links. They can swivel and pivot a bit to let it ride softer. And you don't even have to disconnect the sway bar.

There was a quad shock option on some squares. I think Rancho was one of the few companies that made the correct shocks for the front. So there would be an "inner and outer" front shock.

Might check your tire pressures also. Some shops seem to like to just fill truck tires up to their max pressure (of what is listed on the sidewall). Larger tires usually don't need a whole lot of pressure to still maintain the vehicles weight. But you can go too low if you like long highway speeds on very hot days. I've experimented on this a lot. I've found I like 27 psi for my truck around town and some light highway (37x13.50 tires), typically drive in cooler temps. Have used an IR thermometer to verify tire temps on the highway. But for you maybe 35 psi would be good vs maybe 50 lbs max of the tire...

89GMCJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ivan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Also don’t over torque shackle and spring bolts if they don’t slide freely ride is stifffff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20