Chinese Ebay Headers....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
OK, sorry for the very NEWB question.

I'm over the disappointment of my 305 vs 350 mistake... I'm forging forward now.

So I'm stuck with a 305 for now... but its got an Edelbrock Carb and Intake manifold (model unknown, but will track down). Picture will post later.

Are these short headers worth anything over the stock manifolds? They are like $80 and an easy bolt on it seems.

You must be registered for see images attach

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
This is my engine:
(Yes I'm planning on a new upper radiator hose... it's within a hair to the fan!!)

You must be registered for see images attach

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Here is my take on headers.
Long tube headers build a ton of power in the mid to high RPM range. They are the best option for high-rev vehicles, and track terrors. And usually, long tube headers are difficult to install. All the extra room they need inside the engine compartment may call for some costly reconfiguration. Fortunately, loads of room in a square body engine compartment, nowhere as unforgiving as my Monza's, lol.
Shorties perform best in the idle to mid-RPM range. This makes them the perfect headers for vehicles that rely on low-RPM power, like a daily commuter or a work pickup that sees a lot of towing and hauling.
Because they use to be easy to find, I always picked up the old ram horn manifolds whenever I was scrounging my local wrecking yard, they had pretty good flow over stock too.
Another thing to consider is long tube headers to stock exhaust you are just shortening your pipes and welding on flanges. Shorties you typically have to extend your pipes to get to them.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
Hey thanks for the info. I thought that maybe the short ones bolt up to the stock exhaust where the manifold ends. Looks like it terminates similarly. I'll have to do some more research.

Long tubes, yes I guess I knew that from my dad talking about 60s cars in his youth, but figured it would be harder to install and I was looking for a cheap bump.... but if headers give marginal improvement over manifolds in what I think is a pretty tame 305, I wasn't going to bother yet.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Actually it is long-tube headers that are geared more for lower RPM power, not short-tubes.

Depending on all you would have to do to get those shorties to work, I wouldn't mess with them. Remember, they are cheap for a reason....

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Actually it is long-tube headers that are geared more for lower RPM power, not short-tubes.

Depending on all you would have to do to get those shorties to work, I wouldn't mess with them. Remember, they are cheap for a reason....
Oops, Green79 has it correct. I've always built 1/4 mile cars, never really bothered with trucks before, so I tend to get things crossed up. When you look at headers
there are so many different things to consider like engine size, shorty headers (like the ones you are looking at), short tube headers, mid tube, long tube, 4-1 tube, 4-2-1 tube,
small to large tube diameter, x pipe vs h pipe and where to place them. A lot of that also depends on your gearing, what rpm range your cam works best, carb, intake and head flow...
after all, an engine is just an air pump. With the correct matched pieces, the more air in and out, the more power you get (simplified explanation),
For instance, my 71 gmc 1/2 ton rwd, mild 400hp 350, 3.73:1 gears, TH350 got the best power (launching torque) out of the hole with 1 5/8" long tube Headmans, x pipe right after tranny pan, 2 1/2" pipe, flowmaster 40's and dumped in front of the rear tires vs Sanderson shorties, no crossover, exit out the back and purple hornies. My engine doesn't really get into power till about 3500 rpm, so I'm running a 3200-3500 stall converter. With the stock converter and 3.08's, dang truck couldn't even bark the tires till you were rolling and got to about 3500 rpm, then you were all kinds of sideways out of control. Gears and stall made a big difference, but exhaust made more noticeable difference on my bottom end torque.
Can't exactly remember, but when I ran a 283 in my 62 nova, thought long tube tri-y's made the best overall power...it was a high winder with an 8200 red line, sounded like a bee, lol.

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
I guess I'm asking bottom line is on an anemic 305, will Chinese headers make a difference to the manifold or is that like pissing on a forest fire?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I boughy a set of cheap flow tech long tube dent and scrarch headers for $80 from ebay before. They work and do help some. They will mostly be beneficial if you later upgrade other parts on the engine. And also, get a fan shroud.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Money better spend elsewhere. Back when I didn't make enough to afford squat, I made a savings account that I put $50 every paycheck and stopped eating out for a year. End of the year I had $2600 saved up, bought a junk yard 350 4 bolt, bottom end kit, blemish Dart heads, craigslist intake and carb and got a nice roller cam and distributor system. Another half a year and paid to have all the machine work done and balanced, then was sitting on a motor stand for another 6 months till I had time to do the swap, and $1300 from those 6 months covered all the little install items like wiring, hoses, fuel, etc. So, for two years of scrounging and cutting out extras, I had a nice new motor for my car by the time I was done. Never could have afforded crap without doing that.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I would say don't bother with them. As others said, that money could be spent on other pressing needs... like a fan shroud... :emotions34:

krautmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
Money isn't the issue here but I hear you guys loud and clear... fan shrouds aren't expensive... I'll get to the house keeping stuff first like the th350 and brakes! My limitation is time (1 year old baby)... and I refuse to pay someone else to do it so we will see.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Even after all the house keeping stuff is taken care of, I wouldn't bother with them period. I would look into a nice set of long tube headers. There is a set of coated long tubes on eBay for $300 that I might go with when the time comes.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you really want a budget pair of headers, Summit has some long tubes for $120. I would go that route way before cheap eBay ones. The summit ones would be an improvement over manifolds.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If you really want a budget pair of headers, Summit has some long tubes for $120. I would go that route way before cheap eBay ones. The summit ones would be an improvement over manifolds.
I'm pretty sure the Summit brand is off shore stuff more then likely Chinese or ProComp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64