Carter AFB/ Edelbrock carb install and rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

A- is a spreadbore adapter, The unit I selected was around 20 bucks at orileys. It includes everything to bolt a square bore aftermarket carburetor in place of a quadrajet. It also works the other way around, you can bolt a quadrajet to a aftermarket square bore intake manifold.

Part No:

Summit racing- 1932 $ 15.95
Autozone- 2692 $ 42.99
Orileys- 1929 $ 21.99 <-- I got this one.

B-EGR blockoff plate. The new carb will hit the EGR, I believe you can relocate it to clear but instead I got this block off plate. Its not as common as a part as I expected, I could only find it at Summit Racing.

Part number: WND-9007 $ 7.95

C-Throttle linkage adapter. The stock stamped steel bracket will not work, there is a variety of different applications but this one seemed simple enough and looked cool. My truck has a manual transmission so I dont have the part of the bracket used to hold the kick down cable.

Summit racing part number: 9620 $ 13.95.

D- Brake booster vacuum line. I removed the stock steel line that threaded in the back of the Quadrajets base plate, it threaded though the throttle cable linkage and was connected to the brake booster. I just used some 3/8's rubber hose.

***** One thing not pictured is my fuel line, if you have the stock hard line that snakes around the front of the engine from the fuel pump to carb you will have to change that as well.

I went to a fitting supply shop and got two nipples with 5/16's threads I believe it was? My metal line was destroyed so I just took the fitting to the shop to match it to a replacement fitting. I ran a rubber hose from the mechanical fuel pump to the carb with a clear in line filter in between.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

First step to my carb rebuild is to submerge the carb into a bucket of gasoline. I did not have enough gas to completely submerge it so I just flipped it over every once in a while. The correct way to do this is buy a can of carb dip and a metal basket you can lower into the can. Gasoline works well, it breaks down any tarnished nasty gasoline and dirt. This is an after picture, I scrubbed everything I could get to with a tooth brush.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Cool...another write up..! :waytogo:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Here is the kit I got, it includes gaskets and small parts associated with a rebuild. I found this exact kit at the chain stores for around 50 bucks, the same kit was 30 at Summit racing, Since I saved 20 bucks I got a float set. I suspected my floats were off and for 10 bucks I thought I would take the risk, i they dont fit I can always take them back. This was what I and the guy at the parts counter came up as the application I need, the instructions list a different part number but I will test fit the floats anyways.

The most important component of the kit is that blue rubber ring, That is the power piston pumper (some people call it plunger) part that should make my truck run way better.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
same kit I bought, easy to do and rebuild for sure.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
****, great thread man!!! :handshake:

And I love the clear D cap, I need one of those........do they come in brass terminals????

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
****, great thread man!!! :handshake:

And I love the clear D cap, I need one of those........do they come in brass terminals????

Thanks homie, the clear cap does have brass terminals. As a matter of effin fact, its higher quality than the expensive one I got at Autozone.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Before you take everything apart take pictures of the linkage on both sides. When you go to put it back together you will thank yourself.

Torx screws hold everything together on the top, all the linkage has little wire clips.

Notice the small cover holding in the metering rods, They are on opposing sides of the round intake. Just remove the screw and the plunger with the rod comes out, as well as a spring.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Here is the metering rods I mentioned and the covers that hold them in place. These carbs are designed for many applications so they offer different diameter rods.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Here is the lid, its layout is very simple. On both sides is a brass float, I got a new float set and they match up, pictures is the new and old float. The new float set comes with new pins, the orange rubber round thing is the power piston seal, the reason I am rebuilding this carb.

Notice how high up the floats are bent, that could keep the float bowl level low causing a starvation for fuel that could be easily confused with a junk power piston. The kit comes with a small ruler and proper specs to adjust the floats to the correct fuel level.

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

The primary and secondary venturies come off with a couple screws each, under where they bolt to the carb body is a gasket. My kit includes 2 of the 4 I need but pictures all 4. Looks like I have to call Summit Racing in the morning.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

The bowls had some nasty silt, I also pulled off the choke assembly. Quadrajet carbs have 3 pieces, this carb is 2 pieces. the bottom and middle part are fused together.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

yes thats a dishwasher rack. I was rockin on my rebuild until I discovered I was missing gaskets, they are pictured on the box. The inside of the carb through the bowls had silt so I figured I would try this and see what happens.

My thoughts...... its like a parts cleaner only without chemicals, my parts may come out sparkley clean. I have never herd of anyone doing this.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

I put the smaller parts in the silverware compartment, I want them clean too. As soon as my dish washer stops I will update.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Beleive it or not. I did this just last week. That old burnt carb off the burnt brown truck. I wanted to see if the dishwasher would clean that **** off of it. I even used the Pots and Pan cycle. Didn't work to well, but its clean as hell. So are the dishes, so no harm done.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PAP 001.jpg
    PAP 001.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 567
  • PAP 005.jpg
    PAP 005.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 532

Forum statistics

Threads
Members