Carter AFB/ Edelbrock carb install and rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Thats the same carb I am doing. Thats hilarious your washing it with your pots and pans.

I was just talking to our member Jake Wells on facebook when it smelled like something was on fire big time. Turns out it was my auto parts in the dishwasher when the dishwasher stopped. I opened it and the smell was so bad I had to open the doors and window.

The parts are clean, I will take some pics.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ah ****. Oh the heat dry cycle??? I pulled mine out as soon as it hit dry so it didn't melt any rubber or plastic. My dishwasher was a full load. Cups, glasses and bowls in the top rack. It didn't take the black off though, but the carb is clean. I'll have to soak it in the some carb cleaner to get the black suit off of it. It may never be shiney again. I don't care tough, I have like 5 or 6 of those carbs.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Nice write up. Are those the 1406 model edelbrock carbs?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
They are 1406's. the whole inside of my carburetor was coated in very fine silt, I got some of it out with q-tips but the dishwasher actually got it all out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
HOLY PHUK!!!!! Washing parts in a dishwasher??? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hell yeah man !!! I even put parts in my self cleaning oven and do a self clean cycle with the parts in the oven. It cooks that nasty crap right off. Clean off what you can first, and then cook them sumbishes and they are beautiful when they are done 4 hours later, plus it heats up the house nicely, so the Central Heat gets a break. If I am spending money on gas to heat the house I want something out of it other than heat.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hell yeah man !!! I even put parts in my self cleaning oven and do a self clean cycle with the parts in the oven. It cooks that nasty crap right off. Clean off what you can first, and then cook them sumbishes and they are beautiful when they are done 4 hours later, plus it heats up the house nicely, so the Central Heat gets a break. If I am spending money on gas to heat the house I want something out of it other than heat.
Does it add flavor to the meat loaf? God damn! :laughing1:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If you open your carb kit at the counter with a decently big tactical knife you get awesome customer service from that point forward.

Haha but seriously... In most cases once you cut the plastic you cant return it. Summit exchanged mine with no questions asked, im very surprised at the amount of **** missing from my first kit.

If you open it right on their counter they cant say you lost anything.

You must be registered for see images attach

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

A- Under each of these venturi's is a gasket. Both the primary and secondary go a certain way, the gaskets go a certain way as well. Start with the primary's.

B- The venturi's over the secondary butterfly valves hold in a vacuum operated set of valves with weights on them. they just drop in place and are held in by the venturis over them.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

Maybe if I took my knife to Advanced Auto, I wouldn't have gotten screwed on the tensioner pulley, lol.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Below C is a passage fuel flows through when the power piston is pushed. Drop the ball bearing down the hole first (A) followed by (B). Than simply drop the gasket on top and the cover.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

(A) Is held in by part (B), they are held into part (C). The little rubber seal goes in opposite of what you think makes sense. Its held in by the little metal clip, its a real pain in the ass. Just shove the metal clip down with your thumb and push on the tabs all around with a screw driver.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

A- the completed power piston. The blue rubber seal is new, once everything is assembled just grease up the rubber part and the shaft that fits through the seal you just installed.

B-A small flat rubber seal installs into this lever.

C- Float seat set- This is a small valve that meters fuel into the bowl. Push the small mesh filter into the threaded end, not all the way. Install the small washer over the threads and screw the assembly into (D). The small brass triangle chunk with the pointed rubber end drops into the top point down.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Every kit you buy comes with one of these small rulers. They are measured in increments of 1/32's of an inch. The trick is bending it right at your desired measurement. The instructions say you can use a drill bit instead, but this worked well for me.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Adjusting the floats has to be perfect and takes some time. I ordered new floats (Edelbrock part no. 1469). Take your time with this part, do not push on or pull the float with it installed. After each adjustment you make measure it, you should be triple checking it. Every time you bend the float it might throw it out of whack going the other way.

I circled where you bend the float to get the desired clearance. (A) is where you measure from the body to the float.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe