Carter AFB/ Edelbrock carb install and rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

When you bend the float pull out the pin and bend with small pliers. The tab I pictured is to limit how far down the float should travel, (15/16's of an inch).

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Holy ****, great posts bro!!! :High 5:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Still not done, 3 small screws hold on the round plastic choke cap. Below that is 3 more screws holding the choke assembly to the carb. Once that is off you just replace a small rubber O ring.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

This cover has a small indentation you insert into the bolt hole that aligns it.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Install the round felt gasket and put the cap back on with the little coiled wire tang under the tang that moves the choke. don't tighten down the 3 screws/ clamps yet, turn the black cap until the choke closes and then tighten the cap down.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

C- The hardware supplied with the "Mr. Gasket" adapter was crap, I went to a hardware store to get longer and better quality bolts. The bolts that hold the adapter DOWN are 5/16's fine thread machine head bolts. You MUST have machine head bolts. The kit came with 1 inch bolts, I could not get good threads so i got 1 1/4 inch bolts.

The bolts captured in the spacer that point up are 5/16's fine thread, the kit comes with 1 inch bolts that are just a tad to short. One of mine stripped so I got 4 inch and a half long bolts, 4 washers and 4 new nuts.

A- You can losen the black cap and twist it to adjust your choke. More info on this can be found I am sure, my plan is to wait until a really cold morning and adjust it closed. For now it opens fine when the engine is warm.

B- These are idle air/fuel mixture adjusters. This is simple, run them all the way in until they stop. Back the screws out 3 1/2 turns and start your truck, start with the left screw and screw it in slowly until the engine starts to die. Once the engine starts to slow down back it out a half turn and move to the other screw doing the same thing. Keep going between the two screws until the mixture is perfect and then back them both off in between 1/4 and 1/2 turn.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size

Stock air cleaner will not fit the aftermarket carb without a riser. I got this for around 40 bucks at Autozone. The stock air cleaner stud is way to tall.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
The aftermarket carb will not fit the new style carb without a riser

HUH??????

you mean it won't fit the air cleaner or intake?

I don't think I'd do my carb in the dishwasher, I'd be afraid of the gas smell/fumes/taste on my clean dishes or later on, not to mention a spark lol. I know a guy washed his gas soaked clothes in his clothes washer and caught on fire.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Thanks, I missed that huge mistake of a sentence. Fixed now.

All the gas fumes and residue were gone when I got the carb inside. I let it air out a while, with the super humid wed conditions inside a dish washer I dont think in a million years it would light up. The drying cycle is a different story, I forgot to shut my dish washer off and it smelled like a bunch of candles burning in here.

His clothes caught fire in the washer or the DRYER?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
the washing machine. My old man was telling me about it, it was a guy he worked with, either they were gas soaked or he put gas in the washer to try and clean crap out of them and when it turned around the knob there to start it or when it switched cylces it sparked and caught it on fire. He said the guy was a plumb idiot so he probably used gas as laundry soap.

Forgot about them airing out mine did the same, after one a day or so off the truck it didn't smell like gas. it was brand new though just got screwed up so I only sprayed mine outside with carb cleaner and that was it.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The porous metal the quadrajets are made out of will always smell like gas, this thing is all chrome inside and out. After it come out of the dish washer you could not smell anything really. Im really surprised at how well the dishwasher worked on it, I doubt I will ever do it with anything again.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
see that's why if you got a big enough garage you get a dishwasher and stove for it, stove works for DIY poweder coating lol and dishwasher for parts, like a self contained pressure washer lol. You could probably run parts cleaner thru it too if it was a dedicated parts cleaner.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
see that's why if you got a big enough garage you get a dishwasher and stove for it, stove works for DIY poweder coating lol and dishwasher for parts, like a self contained pressure washer lol. You could probably run parts cleaner thru it too if it was a dedicated parts cleaner.

That is an excellent idea, I used one a long time ago that was a big ass dish washer that used some sort of citrus cleaning agent mixed with thee water.
Just pouring that **** in the soap compartment would be the same thing on a smaller scale.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you open your carb kit at the counter with a decently big tactical knife you get awesome customer service from that point forward.

Haha but seriously... In most cases once you cut the plastic you cant return it. Summit exchanged mine with no questions asked, im very surprised at the amount of **** missing from my first kit.

If you open it right on their counter they cant say you lost anything.

Oh now, c'mon dawg !!! If your gonna use a knife to open a carb kit at the parts counter, for god sakes, use a real knife.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 149

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I absolutley intend to do just that. Looking for an electric stove now for powder coating and prefer a self cleaning unit since they get hotter to clean parts and stress relieve things like connecting rods. I am also keeping my eye out for a stainless steel tubbed dishwasher that has wash heat boost that heats the water. I intend to modify the racks for auto parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64