Carb Opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mlcdc1

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Last year i changed out the carb on my 1977 GMC C15 to an edelbrock and threw the Rochester Quadrajet on the shelf. While organizing the work space I ran across it and got the crazy idea to do a rebuild on it, having never torn into it before. I’d really welcome your thoughts on a good rebuild kit and any pointers you can provide if I go ahead with the rebuild. Thanks!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Get Cliffs book, and buy the rebuild kit from him. He has the parts to rebuild it RIGHT, and more importantly the parts to calibrate it to run correctly on todays crap fuel.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Same opinion here. Rebuild it.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Q-jets are reasonably easy to rebuild but there are some idiosyncrasies that should be addressed. Not familiar with that book but you will need to do a little research. Use that camera on your cell phone, take pictures during disassembly.

Fuel today is not designed for carbs, some adjustment to specifications may be necessary. I also noticed slight differences in drivability between ethanol and non-ethanol fuel. Mainly to idle mix adjustment. Try to stay with one or the other.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Its not crazy, rebuild it and enjoys the benefits.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
My opinion the q jet is a great carb and tailored for your particular truck,not a 1 size fits all replacement. @fast 99 and O.P. I was completely disappointed and unimpressed with cliffs book,but here's the difference, I went through my first qjet over 45 years ago,and when I bought Cliffs book I was looking for specific information on a particular qjet,I was working on,a bridge I hadn't crossed before.Information I hadn't already acquired in those 45+ years. Here's where the book is great,you don't have to learn everything one hurdle at a time across decades,someone has spelled out the pitfalls,etc. so you don't have to learn the hardway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad