Carb questions??? Please help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
ONE THING ABOUT THIS SITE..FIVE DIFFERENT GUYS MAY TELL YOU FIVE DIFFERENT THINGS.EVERY ONE WANTS TO BE A MECHANIC.

first only two bbls are supposed to be working in your carb.the other half does not cut in.to later..half throttle or so..any way..you do not need to have a choke working..at all..too run your vehicle..

the choke plate.can be.flipped just a little bit.to help the weak ass.fuel pumps.pump gas..the edelbrock carb is the way.you want to go..IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE AND NOT BE WRENCHING.all the time.

for get the hollys and what ever the double pumpers.they just empty your wallet..i run a 1406..electric choke..i have the choke.locked.off.my truck cranks fine.runs fine..just maybe.your fuel pump is old and weak..

fuel filters clogged.or dirt in the carb or bad floats.the gm carbs.went to styofoam floats years ago.they suck up.nasty in the gas and get weighted.then your carb.runs.rich.because.they can never float too the top..

change the floats.if you got a carb you want to rebuild and keep on the truck..make sure.the pump and other stuff is right and if you want.to save some trouble and tears..get a 1406 edelbrock..electric choke.mount it and

DRIVE..PS.I HAVE HAD.1406 CARBS..since.1999.with not one problem out of them just crank and drive.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
another thing..if some one has taken off linkage..so just the front two bbls are working.whats the problem.my 1978 chevy has a stock two bbl on it and runs fine.if and when i get around to changing.all of that it will get a intake and a 1406..

you may just have a fuel problem..stock gm pumps.are not the best.but they make one with a short bottom and a long bottom.long bottom is what came on the.350v8 z24,s..the high performance.engines.

both pumps will work..stock fuel pumps are better.for cranking and driving and not wrenching..some people go to a electric pump..then you need a regulator..most times..

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
IMO Q-jets are easier to rebuild and to get adjusted, but it really comes down to what you are more comfortable with. I have never had any good luck with Edelbrock carbs, so i stay away from them.

I had nothing but trouble out holley carbs.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
We had them on race cars..when you had to get too the other end..super fast..they had to be rebuilt over and over..lord help you if the engine back fired..or spit.

They have some that want.blow out as easy.but why. Risk it.when you can do the edelbrock and go..plain and simple carbs.that want hurt your pocket book..

And keeps you going..while others are a wrenching..

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
ONE THING ABOUT THIS SITE..FIVE DIFFERENT GUYS MAY TELL YOU FIVE DIFFERENT THINGS.EVERY ONE WANTS TO BE A MECHANIC..

None of us are claiming to be mechanics but all can share our experiences with carbs. The experiences might vary a little bit since we have 759 registered members with all different motors and skill levels.

Right now I have a Carter AFB I rebuilt and its the same **** as your 1406. The carb is fine but down the road I am putting the Q-jet back on it.

I like the Q-jet because of the design, you can cruise around town using the 2 small primaries and when you need the power you have those massive secondary's that are vacuum operated , so even if you stomp on the gas pedal the engine is only going to use the air and fuel it needs.

Honestly though my AFB has been really good so far.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
Hey i thought a edelbrock was a q-jet..just does not have the bad gm-floats.i have changed the floats out.on a couple gm,s i built years ago and then they were back too knew..the q-jets are up in the money...simple edelbrock..will do you know

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Edelbrocks are the same as Carters. I like my 1406, just wish it was mechanical choke and vacuum secondaries. Worst thing about mine is when the fuel tube gets garbage in it, it's a pain in the ass to clean out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Wheelman.....do you expect us all to the same opinions and experiences?? :think: that's kind of the point of forums. We've all had different experiences and therefore can share different pieces of advice and sometimes that advice contradicts someone else :shrug:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i`m a mechanic.....stay away from Edelbrock and Carter, q-jet is a superior carburetor.
talk to Sean @ www.smicarburetor.com and be done with it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
ONE THING ABOUT THIS SITE..FIVE DIFFERENT GUYS MAY TELL YOU FIVE DIFFERENT THINGS.EVERY ONE WANTS TO BE A MECHANIC.

News flash, you're just one of those five guys too. Everyone is going to have their own opinion based on their own experiences. And this is just one of those touchy debates... like the whole Chevy/Ford thing.

acaiazz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok guys, I appreciate all of the input even though I might have started a heated discussion which a few of you are pretty passionate about it seems like lol. But back to the reason why I started this topic...

I finally got those pics of the carb and still need help on the choke...the carb seems to run fine but I need to get some kind of choke on there. Here's the pics...
You must be registered for see images attach

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
News flash, you're just one of those five guys too. Everyone is going to have their own opinion based on their own experiences. And this is just one of those touchy debates... like the whole Chevy/Ford thing.

Big mirror/little mirror
Lifted/lowered
Big block//small block
Oem/aftermarket
Flowmaster/magnaflow

We all have differing opinions about all this stuff so if someone asks our opinion on these things they'll get several different opinions. That's life. If you want sheep you've come to the wrong place :deal:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Big mirror/little mirror
Lifted/lowered
Big block//small block
Oem/aftermarket
Flowmaster/magnaflow

We all have differing opinions about all this stuff so if someone asks our opinion on these things they'll get several different opinions. That's life. If you want sheep you've come to the wrong place :deal:
DUMBO MIRRORS, NOTHING ELSE!!!!! :flipthebird: :slap:

:Moon: :roflbow:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model