Carb questions??? Please help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Stock carb...quadrajet? They have vacuum secondaries so they wont really kick in till it's under a good load. You might get them to open revving it really quick. If otherwise it functions well I would just get a pull cable and make the choke manual. Cheapest way.

Yep, I was gonna say this. Many people don't think the secondaries are working since they don't see them open my linkage when the motor is off. As said, they are vacuum opened on when called for by romping on the throttle, so they might just work and you're not aware of it.

If the auto choke has been removed, is the choke butterfly at least still there? If so, you might get you a manual choke cable, and make your own bracket for the carb and hook the cable to the butterfly. Keep the rod off the butterfly in place since it probably goes to a high idle cam which will raise the idle when you pull the choke. Just a thought and worth a try if the carb works good otherwise. :grd:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Doh, missed the pics. You don't even have a choke butterfly. Uhhh, someone may have majorly modded that carb. I think I'd try to find me another carb. Even if its a Pull A Part carb. Just be sure its a complete carb then put a kit in it.

Yep, some will say avoid Eddy carbs, some will say avoid Quarajunks, some will say avoid Holley. Each of them has their advantages, and each of them have their quirks. And whatever someone gets good with, it what they tend to stick with and run the rest down. I'm a bit different. I decide the purpose of the vehicle, then choose a carb based on the advantages and quirks. If this is your daily driver, I say avoid Holley since they don't hold an adjustment for long and easily will blow the power valve with as little as one backfire thru the intake. Qjet if you can get it tuned and set right initially by someone who is good with them, then I'd run the Qjet and weld the hood closed. If you're not good with Qjets and don't know anyone who is, run an Eddy. They to work better when set up right, but can operate if not just perfect, and will hold their adjustment. Use plenty of fuel filters though. A tiny particle can make a Eddy/Carter run like crap, then require a teardown to get it out. If its a race vehicle, or street/strip that you're willing to work on frequently, and you want a wide array of selection of jetting and performance parts for it, then go with a Holley.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Agree!!! Jet performance q-jets are nice carbs , and you can get them from summit.I have ran 3 of them with no problems.As far as eddie carbs go I have had 2 of them and they would flood out on a side hill and they did'nt get as good of mileage as the q-jet and did'nt perform as well either.Threw the eddie's right in the dumpster and went back to jet q-jet's.They also sell them for different performance levels and engine size.

:grd::grd::grd:

I took a drive up to Sacramento the other day and noticed a Hirschdale road on the California side, I was wondering if it was related to you in any way.

Some time in the near future when I figure out a motor to build I want to get all the emmisions stuff working again. Are those Jet carbs smog compliant in California?

I noticed in the picture the only difference is my original has the electronic power valve thing I still dont know the purpose of. Does your pickup still pass smog?

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I took a drive up to Sacramento the other day and noticed a Hirschdale road on the California side, I was wondering if it was related to you in any way.

Some time in the near future when I figure out a motor to build I want to get all the emmisions stuff working again. Are those Jet carbs smog compliant in California?

I noticed in the picture the only difference is my original has the electronic power valve thing I still dont know the purpose of. Does your pickup still pass smog?

Yes that is the turn off to where I live.

No , jet carbs are not emissions legal in cali.

But all of the trucks I have ran them on have passed smog test's no problem.Again though , all of the trucks I mess with are 1979 or older , (my favorite body style ) so I am not up to date on the mid 80's trucks , I really don't mess with those.

I will say that most of the smallblocks I have put together back in the day , (even though I am a bigblock fan) I ran flat top pistons , speed pro 327 350 hp factory (copy) cams and small chamber heads (194 valve's) and they all ran really hard in a 4x4 (300hp or so) with pretty good tq and really good top end as well , ( great combo and a mean sound).

I don't know about the 80's trucks but the federal trucks 1978 and under all you needed was thermatic air cleaner and pcv valve , I even had headers on all of them with the foil hose to the air cleaner. They all passed the sniffer as well , with that cam (pretty mild in a 350) and jet carbs. So you might be able to get by the smog test with a jet carb with all your stuff from your old carb put on it or you can call them direct and see if they can hook you up.
Also they might be a bit much for the low hp 80's trucks unless you are hopping the motor up a bit , but if you call them they could give you the low down.

My girls 78 has 10 to 1 piston's and 202 heads with a 270 comp. retro fit roller cam in her 350 and it really hauls ass , but I took it to the my smog guy for free to see if there was anyway to get it to pass and we tried for an hour and even though we had all the visual stuff on it would not even come close to passing out the pipe.Thank god her grandma live's in fernley , (no smog needed)

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yes that is the turn off to where I live.

No , jet carbs are not emissions legal in cali.

But all of the trucks I have ran them on have passed smog test's no problem.Again though , all of the trucks I mess with are 1979 or older , (my favorite body style ) so I am not up to date on the mid 80's trucks , I really don't mess with those.

I will say that most of the smallblocks I have put together back in the day , (even though I am a bigblock fan) I ran flat top pistons , speed pro 327 350 hp factory (copy) cams and small chamber heads (194 valve's) and they all ran really hard in a 4x4 (300hp or so) with pretty good tq and really good top end as well , ( great combo and a mean sound).

I don't know about the 80's trucks but the federal trucks 1978 and under all you needed was thermatic air cleaner and pcv valve , I even had headers on all of them with the foil hose to the air cleaner. They all passed the sniffer as well , with that cam (pretty mild in a 350) and jet carbs. So you might be able to get by the smog test with a jet carb with all your stuff from your old carb put on it or you can call them direct and see if they can hook you up.
Also they might be a bit much for the low hp 80's trucks unless you are hopping the motor up a bit , but if you call them they could give you the low down.

My girls 78 has 10 to 1 piston's and 202 heads with a 270 comp. retro fit roller cam in her 350 and it really hauls ass , but I took it to the my smog guy for free to see if there was anyway to get it to pass and we tried for an hour and even though we had all the visual stuff on it would not even come close to passing out the pipe.Thank god her grandma live's in fernley , (no smog needed)

I have seen a lot of jet carbs pass(on friends vehicles) we just make sure not to have "Jet" advertised on the carburetor, although, the techs have not been lifting the stock air cleaners. Any radical jetting will definitely screw you on the sniffer.

gilbertjr04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Does anyone rebuild carburetors anymore?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, there are some companies that do. You pretty much mail it off and it comes back better than new and is pricey. On Qjets, they are bushed in the throttle shafts, any warpage is taken care of , well plugs sealed etc.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Edelbrocks are easier to learn for starters and IMO are more "streetable". Holley is more of a performance carb and you can adjust more on a Holley also. Never seen a Quad and if I have I didnt know what it was. Prolly scared me away lol.

Also I think Edelbrock/Carters have a cruise circuit you can dial in for just cruising. Holleys do not. Its idle and WOT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000