Carb questions??? Please help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acaiazz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
the other thing is every diargram I look at for that carb it seems like they're are a bunch of things missing from the passenger side of it...I dunno...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
the other thing is every diargram I look at for that carb it seems like they're are a bunch of things missing from the passenger side of it...I dunno...

:pics-stfu:

:Moon:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

:slap:

Looks like you are missing every part of the choke. The butterfly plate, all the linkage, the choke thermostat. I don't know if you can buy that stuff new, most likely have to find a carb at a junkyard. And if you don;t know what you are looking for and how to put it together then don't waste your time.

I think you will be better off just getting a replacement carb.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok guys, I appreciate all of the input even though I might have started a heated discussion which a few of you are pretty passionate about it seems like lol. But back to the reason why I started this topic...

I finally got those pics of the carb and still need help on the choke...the carb seems to run fine but I need to get some kind of choke on there. Here's the pics...
You must be registered for see images attach

If cold starts are your only Issue, I would contact Sean at SMI, and just get an Electric choke kit, and the required butterfly plate/shaft, which will mount right to the Carb. Should be considerably under $100. No need to replace a carb that is, apart from the cold start issue. functioning just fine. That would be like buying a new car just because your headlight is out.

Last edited:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
:slap:

Looks like you are missing every part of the choke. The butterfly plate, all the linkage, the choke thermostat. I don't know if you can buy that stuff new, most likely have to find a carb at a junkyard. And if you don;t know what you are looking for and how to put it together then don't waste your time.

I think you will be better off just getting a replacement carb.

Agree!!! Jet performance q-jets are nice carbs , and you can get them from summit.I have ran 3 of them with no problems.As far as eddie carbs go I have had 2 of them and they would flood out on a side hill and they did'nt get as good of mileage as the q-jet and did'nt perform as well either.Threw the eddie's right in the dumpster and went back to jet q-jet's.They also sell them for different performance levels and engine size.

:grd::grd::grd:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
If cold starts are your only Issue, I would contact Sean at SMI, and just get an Electric choke kit, and the required butterfly plate/shaft, which will mount right to the Carb. Should be considerably under $100. No need to replace a carb that is, apart from the cold start issue. functioning just fine. That would be like buying a new car just because your headlight is out.
The problem is he doesn;t understand the parts and how they go together, that's the only reason I mentioned getting a replacement to make it easier on his brain. :lol:

So if we are going to talk him into doing it himself let's get some pics up for him to give him an idea. :shitsweak: :slap:

Dude needs these:

attachment.php

And eithier one of these: :crazy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• exploded-4mv-1971-a-w650.JPG
    exploded-4mv-1971-a-w650.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Q1220-W600l.JPG
    Q1220-W600l.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 184
  • manchoke.jpg
    manchoke.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 173

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You should rebuild that one to gain a better understanding of how they work and run it for a while, there is a good chance you are going to screw it up and it wont run right. after you tinker with it for a while get a brand spankin new one.

They are rebuildable but you are going to run into some snags. On my later model Q-Jet The base plate casting covers the idle control screw and you have to dril plugs out and punch them with a hammer. The bottom of the bowls have to get epoxy so they dont leak fuel. The control rods make their journals bigger from years of movement and cause vacuum leaks, they sell bushing kits to fix all this. In the end when you just want it to run right I would go with a new one.

With all that said I still suggest taking your's apart and throwing a kit on it, Autozone has the best kit I found so far. If you can wait until next week I can have your linkage and butterfly, I am 100% positive that my dad has one.

I **** you not, there is 2 or 3 huge 50 gallon barrels filled to the top with carburetors of all makes as well as clear plastic bins full of q-jet stuff.

acaiazz

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
With all that said I still suggest taking your's apart and throwing a kit on it, Autozone has the best kit I found so far. If you can wait until next week I can have your linkage and butterfly, I am 100% positive that my dad has one.

That would be awesome!! Again thanks for all the help, after all the research I've done in the past few days I'm pretty comfortable with tackling a rebuild on the one I got, besides I want the learning experience.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That would be awesome!! Again thanks for all the help, after all the research I've done in the past few days I'm pretty comfortable with tackling a rebuild on the one I got, besides I want the learning experience.

My first rebuild I screwed up that stopper that adjusts how far in the metering rods go. It threads up and down adjusting the metering rods travel depending on what engine its going onto, I had no idea what it was and took it out throwing everything out of whack.

First rebuild kit came from Orileys and it was a total piece of ****, all the components were total crap. I pulled it apart for a second time and used the quality one from Autozone and the carb ran perfect, in fact... after half ass fixing the valve problem I had a year ago the thing was idling so smooth you could set a glass of water on the dash and not see a ripple. It idled like it was fuel injected, all that is different now with numerous problems in the valve train and heads.

My Dad has rebuilt so many of these things he was actually teaching classes at the community college in Phoenix on the quadrajet. He has a stockpile of carbs and parts, just last month I asked if he had a strip kit for a carter and he sent me this....

He just went out to our shop and pulled this out of his inventory. This is the actual "strip kit" from Carter and not the new edelbrock one.

I should be at my parents house some time next week and can track down the linkage you need so you can get the rebuild done.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
with that plate gone-it just lets in more air..i have been using edlebrocks.since like 1998 with out a problem.you can get a bad on in anything new.the edelbrocks are easy to rebuild.if you ever had too or wanted to learn.little more to the q-jets.they are good.but cost more money..that is the only two carbs.i would use..for get all of that high dollar crap.like holleys and speed demons -they just take your money.with all of that crap..you dont want to be wreching and not driving right..

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
ONE THING ABOUT THIS SITE..FIVE DIFFERENT GUYS MAY TELL YOU FIVE DIFFERENT THINGS.EVERY ONE WANTS TO BE A MECHANIC.

first only two bbls are supposed to be working in your carb.the other half does not cut in.to later..half throttle or so..any way..you do not need to have a choke working..at all..too run your vehicle..

the choke plate.can be.flipped just a little bit.to help the weak ass.fuel pumps.pump gas..the edelbrock carb is the way.you want to go..IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE AND NOT BE WRENCHING.all the time.

for get the hollys and what ever the double pumpers.they just empty your wallet..i run a 1406..electric choke..i have the choke.locked.off.my truck cranks fine.runs fine..just maybe.your fuel pump is old and weak..

fuel filters clogged.or dirt in the carb or bad floats.the gm carbs.went to styofoam floats years ago.they suck up.nasty in the gas and get weighted.then your carb.runs.rich.because.they can never float too the top..

change the floats.if you got a carb you want to rebuild and keep on the truck..make sure.the pump and other stuff is right and if you want.to save some trouble and tears..get a 1406 edelbrock..electric choke.mount it and

DRIVE..PS.I HAVE HAD.1406 CARBS..since.1999.with not one problem out of them just crank and drive.

its funny that the guy saying "everybody wants to be a mechanic" makes himself look like an idiot. styrofoam floats? really? fill a styrofoam cup full of gas, and let me know how that works out for you.

as for the 1406 being crank and go, sure it is.... but unless you've monkeyed with it ALOT (which you've said you don't want to do), its not getting the best fuel economy, or delivering the best performance it possibly can.

the quadrajet will give you better fuel economy, better performance, and once you set it, its good to go.... the Quadrajet that is on my 77 has been there since 1999 that i know of, and its apparent that it was there many years before that... pump the gas twice, and it still fires right up. gets 12 mpg with a snow plow hanging on the front too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000