Carb for 86 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
Just did a complete tune up: plugs/wires, oil/filter, breather/air filters & PCV. Truck was bogging down under load and diesels after driving around. Couldn't punch the gas without issues but got up to 70 no problem on the freeway when I eased into throttle before tune up. Haven't test driven it yet because my bench is out (cleaning the whole cab).

Not sure if I need a replacement yet, but if I need to rebuilt the Quadrajet or replace it, what are some decent options? I've never messed with a carb before. Hoping to find something cheap to bolt on. This isn't a daily driver, it's a hauler.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just did a complete tune up: plugs/wires, oil/filter, breather/air filters & PCV. Truck was bogging down under load and diesels after driving around. Couldn't punch the gas without issues but got up to 70 no problem on the freeway when I eased into throttle before tune up. Haven't test driven it yet because my bench is out (cleaning the whole cab).

Not sure if I need a replacement yet, but if I need to rebuilt the Quadrajet or replace it, what are some decent options? I've never messed with a carb before. Hoping to find something cheap to bolt on. This isn't a daily driver, it's a hauler.

Another q jet from SMI carburetor, or a Holley truck avenger. Stay away from Edelbrock.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's just a matter of opinion, 5 people will give you 5 different answers. If I didn't have the extra $ or already have a carb laying around, I'd rebuild the q-jet, if there's no slop in the throttle shaft. Personally though, I'd put on a basic 600cfm Holley with electric choke.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In My opinion, the Q-Jet is the best, I`m thinking that they will out perform the after market carbs when tuned right, then there`s no messing with them after they are set up and performing proper.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
I'm looking into a rebuilt carb or snagging one from the junk yard to rebuild while I run the existing one. Just not trying to put much money into this truck. Anywhere have good deals on rebuilt carbs?

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
What are the reasons to stay away from Edelbrock? Thought they were a good company with a good product?

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
i like edelbrock myself, its a good out of the box replacement carb. i have never had an issue with one. everyone has thier own preferance due to experiances with differant ones. Holleys are good too, i have just had bad experiances with them. I cannot stand quadrajunks though, again just had bad experiances with them

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What are the reasons to stay away from Edelbrock? Thought they were a good company with a good product?

Usually people who have dirty gas tanks and don't filter their fuel well will NOT like Eddy's. They are very picky to staying clean or the idle circuit will clog and then you have idle problems. I've had alot less problems with Eddy's that I've had with Holleys in the past.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Usually people who have dirty gas tanks and don't filter their fuel well will NOT like Eddy's. They are very picky to staying clean or the idle circuit will clog and then you have idle problems. I've had alot less problems with Eddy's that I've had with Holleys in the past.

There are also design flaws in the float bowl that cause problems under certain conditions...biggest problem is bogging.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There are also design flaws in the float bowl that cause problems under certain conditions...biggest problem is bogging.

I can't say I've ever had those problems. The Carter AFB carbs has been around since the 60's that I'm aware of. You'd think they'd have fixed an issue like that by now.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Lotsa guys going at the float bowls with dremels to fix the issues, but for $330+ you shouldnt have to do that. As far as Carter, I have not heard of any issues with the Carter made carbs.
Eddys are made by Weber. As far as Edelbrock quality? Yes on everything except carbs for me.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
Hmm. Might not bother with a new carb on this one just yet. Neighbor says I have what sounds like lifter or rocker noise (ticking). No more dieseling but still bogs at WOT and backfires after.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I have a 305 from a 84 in my 87 so its basically a k10. It came with a Edelbrock 1406 and ran pretty well. Carb is definitely older but it had plenty of get up and go. I wanted something different so I went with a Quadrajet from SMI carb ( what Jims86 recommended) and I'm happy with it.

It runs a little bit smoother with the quadrajet but only a very slight difference. I went with the Quadrajet to try and get better fuel economy. I was getting 9.5 mpgs with the Edelbrock and I'm getting 10.5 with the quadrajet. Not as much as I was hoping for but its a toy with headers, flowmasters and 3" pipe. Loud as hell and I have fun with her.

Edelbrock are easier to tune but a Quadrajet can get you a little mpg. I had a Edelbrock on my 69 Cutlass and it cost me a fortune on tires :smoke2:

I may sell the Edelbrock if you are looking for something different.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have a 305 from a 84 in my 87 so its basically a k10. It came with a Edelbrock 1406 and ran pretty well. Carb is definitely older but it had plenty of get up and go. I wanted something different so I went with a Quadrajet from SMI carb ( what Jims86 recommended) and I'm happy with it.

It runs a little bit smoother with the quadrajet but only a very slight difference. I went with the Quadrajet to try and get better fuel economy. I was getting 9.5 mpgs with the Edelbrock and I'm getting 10.5 with the quadrajet. Not as much as I was hoping for but its a toy with headers, flowmasters and 3" pipe. Loud as hell and I have fun with her.

Edelbrock are easier to tune but a Quadrajet can get you a little mpg. I had a Edelbrock on my 69 Cutlass and it cost me a fortune on tires :smoke2:

I may sell the Edelbrock if you are looking for something different.

You should get better than that...may need to tune your right foot now...LoL
You lifted?
Overdrive?

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
You should get better than that...may need to tune your right foot now...LoL
You lifted?
Overdrive?

No lift and standard tires on a short bed. Originally came with 700r but it now has a th350. She runs well and has plenty of power but I need better fuel economy. I have an economical car but only drive it when I have to. I love my truck and besides my car is a pos that is just basic transportation. I plan on calling Chris at SMI and see what he recommends as far as tuning. I was hoping to get 15 mpg but honestly I would be happy with 12.5.

She idles at 400 rpms in gear and has no stumble. Feels like fuel injection but I'm thinking it is running rich. It smells rich at idle even when fully warmed up. Once I get my bike back on the road I'll try to tune the Quadrajet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06