car for fiance????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
and pops i hate to break it to you.... but allot http://www.mpgfacts.com/?r=g&make=Chevrolet&year=1984

lol catch 22

those are all small cars aka "shoe box". As far as that goes I dis agree totally with what is recorded for mileage, I have owned and driven SEVERAL of the ones listed and they will NOT get near that kind of mileage, not to mention the age and mileage of them today.

But NOW your talking chevettes, datsun ect. ect. so your still thinking shoebox type cars.

As far as reliability goes, you CAN NOT beat the electronic spark, and Fuel injection. It surpases the HEI and Carbeurators in Mileage, Power, RELIABILITY, emmisions,

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
Oops forgot the comma lol the vega had some overheating problems early on but they fixed that and a g body is also an option too we will probably hafta see what the best deal is and what she likes the most overall the good thing is that all of the cars she likes either came with a v8 or are an easy swap im thinkin a purpose built 302 6sp trans and 3.73 gears in anny of these would get acceptable mpg

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
I appoligise for the shoe box terminoligy what o ment by that is camry carrola ect the cars that you see hundreds of every day we want something that she can be proud of and last for a looonnnggg time and forgive me for not wanting to get into a efi vs carb debate that is not the direction I wi do not wish to startant this to go you have your views I have mine if you would like to have a friendly debate in another thread then that is fine, however this is not the point of this thread I do not wish to start controversy here

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I appoligise for the shoe box terminoligy what o ment by that is camry carrola ect the cars that you see hundreds of every day we want something that she can be proud of and last for a looonnnggg time and forgive me for not wanting to get into a efi vs carb debate that is not the direction I wi do not wish to startant this to go you have your views I have mine if you would like to have a friendly debate in another thread then that is fine, however this is not the point of this thread I do not wish to start controversy here

what you are wanting reminds me of the ole sayin. "want in one hand and **** in the other see which one fills up faster"

You want something "different" nothing wrong with WANTING that.
You want something that get good MPG, damn sure nothing wrong with that.
You want something that is "easy to work on, Which I assume your thinking a carbeurated fuel system and an HEI ignition system is easy to work on. Why I am not understanding, hell you wasnt even born when carbeurators were used from the factory, fact is there are very FEW people that TRULLY know how to even set a carbeurator correctly, perhaps you are 1 of the few, but honestly i have my doubts. And I dont mean that in a negative way either.

Yea there are speciallty tools needed for troubleshooting computerized cars, but theres also specialty tools needed for many other aspects of repairs on them aswell for instance, Transmissions, differentials, Carbeurators, Cylinder heads, Engine assembly, the list goes on.
Why exactly are you wanting the carbeurator and HEI style ignition?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm thinking that what is "wanted" and what is out there are two very different things :shrug: I still say 80's cutlass or Celebrity.

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
well i want carb and hei because that is what i know i may not be an expert at tuning a carb true honestly im not, however even though i was born after oem stopped using them i was raised with them, every time i have ever had problems with a fi car its been the biggest headache ever, im not saying they aren't easy to work on (for somebody who knows the ins and outs and exactly where to go when trouble shooting) thats why i got rid of my 2006 mazda because i knew when it started having problems i would be lost. i know what goes wrong with carbd cars and how to fix it if i thought i could get good enough mileage out of a squarebody trust me i would just buy annother one lol so im looking for the same system im used to just lighter and more aerodynamic for beter mpg we have been looking at allot of g boddies and maby an f body if i could find a great deal on a vega/monza we will get it lol tx for the help and ideas are greatly appreciated

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here ya go, you know how to fix little stupid stuff? 20-25 MPG.

If I find one of these in my area and got my tax return I would scarf that sucker right up for a spare vehicle.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2741557792.html

You must be registered for see images

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
Yep thats prety much exactly it I may not like it all that much lol but.it would be a good car for her lol maby I can put a.350 in it ltr down the road too

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Here ya go, you know how to fix little stupid stuff? 20-25 MPG.

If I find one of these in my area and got my tax return I would scarf that sucker right up for a spare vehicle.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2741557792.html

How did I miss that? I've got a 5 speed setup from a Celebrity that would be the **** in that...

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
How did I miss that? I've got a 5 speed setup from a Celebrity that would be the **** in that...
Do you really? The first car I ever looked at to buy before I wound up on that damned Dodge p/u trot was one of these, with the 5 speed. It was like a pale yellow, tan interior. He let me test drive it, it was very cool and ran terrific, he wanted $2500 for it, that was back in 1989, and I think it was an '85.

And it didn't have the euro trim, just plain jane trim.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
manual trans Celebrities in the U.S. and Canada are super rare. They were only sold with a manual in Mexico though and they are plentiful.

1985 would have been a 4 speed manual. 1986-88s are 5 speeds.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
manual trans Celebrities in the U.S. and Canada are super rare. They were only sold with a manual in Mexico though and they are plentiful.

1985 would have been a 4 speed manual. 1986-88s are 5 speeds.
It had to be an '86 then, it was a while ago, but it was definitely a 5 speed, don;t remember what motor, CRS ya know. :birgits_tiredcoffee

proddy2008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado 3500 dually
Engine Size
350/sm465/d70hd
5 speed would be awsome! It seems no matter how plane boring or whatever a car is a stick just makes.it that much... Beter if we got one would u let the setup go?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74